2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1581 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

Yup fair enough. Looks like you’re gonna get your time in the sun in Saanich.

Should be interesting with another incumbent stepping down....change is afoot whether for good or worse...

#1582 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

First, I don't agree a politician's wage should equal something in the private sector. There should always be an element of sacrifice to serving, it's a way for citizens to give back. The recent increases mean it is still a good job for someone supporting a family.

As for the full-time aspect of serving. It's been discussed here before but to recap, it can be a full-time job. The ambitious politicians make it full time plus. Some have second jobs but there are very few jobs compatible with being a councillor as your day can begin at dawn or last past midnight with many weekend and evening obligations.

Regarding pay increases I don't know if it's a written rule but councillors have not been voting themselves increases, they approve increases that go into effect in the following term. Obviously if you win re-election you will benefit but the raises are approved by an outside party.

Sure - that would make sense to me IF there were term limits.

#1583 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

I agree Rob. It becomes a full time job because politicians cannot go anywhere, day or night, without someone trying to talk with them about their job. If your phone number leaks out then you can expect calls at home or on your cell 24x7 as well. 

still service - thats the point - it's either service or it's not

#1584 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

I grew up in the interior, we were taught how to cross the street all by ourselves.

my mom taught me when i was small but we had volunteers too

#1585 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

I was initially one of the people that thought Stephen Andrew should run for council this year. At this rate, he might as well run for mayor. If he ends up being Lisa's only competitor, he might actually beat her. 

#1586 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:51 PM

^Andrew vehemently denies he is running for mayor but it sounds like he might possibly run for council. 

#1587 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

^Andrew vehemently denies he is running for mayor but it sounds like he might possibly run for council. 

It's the same question every aspiring municipal politician has to ask themselves ... "do I run for Mayor and have it a one shot winner-take-all affair, or do I run for Council where I have roughly a one in eight chance of getting elected".

Stephen would make a better Mayor than he would a Councillor ... but those one in eight odds can be very tempting (especially if you've already done the winner-take-all thing once ... and been on the losing end).

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#1588 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

Andrew insists he is not running, nor is he working for a candidate at this time. In fact, he seemed quite indignant about being queried, even though he created a sponsored poll on his Facebook page which piqued the interest of some who assumed this was a precursor to a campaign announcement.

#1589 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:28 AM

Keep your ears cocked for an announcement today.  I assume Victoria, but it's all a bit vague.  Source: UVic Public Admin prof's Twitter feed.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1590 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:57 AM

Keep your ears cocked for an announcement today.  I assume Victoria, but it's all a bit vague.  Source: UVic Public Admin prof's Twitter feed.

Michael Prince?

#1591 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

I agree that the salary isn't meaningful. Even $100K won't do it though. Most successful businesspeople or professionals won't touch the job for any amount of money because it will divide their client base and have far longer and lasting impact to their income and profile.

I know of several high-profile business people in town that are incredibly passionate about the future of Victoria and would certainly run for Council if it was the same part-time position it was decades ago. They have said as much. Unfortunately, it has been turned into a full-time position without equivalent pay. 

This presents a significant barrier on two fronts. First, successful business people can't take on a second full-time position if they still want to be involved in their business. Right there you lose a great deal of quality individuals who would make a big difference on Council.

Second, it prevents younger people from stepping up to take on the job, because someone in their 20s or 30s just "starting out" in the real world and trying to accrue wealth, save for a home*, and build a stable life is not likely to put their name forward for a $40K (before taxes) position. And we wonder why there's a real lack of younger leadership in this city.

*Just kidding, my generation doesn't get to own homes in Victoria. Not unless we spend the next decade or two seriously increasing supply and density. 

• Mike K., jonny, John M. and 2 others like this

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#1592 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

I'm happy to pay Councillors 80k and the Mayor 120k if they represented 200k people...

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Bob Fugger and 1 other like this

#1593 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

*Just kidding, my generation doesn't get to own homes in Victoria. Not unless we spend the next decade or two seriously increasing supply and density. 

Keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better about your specific plight.  Sure, we have supply, density and affordability issues.  But I know plenty of your cohort who are homeowners.  It's all about priorities, though, right?  Some people choose to commit to the hustle while others expend their energies on things what won't lead to homeownership - like playing politician.  Which, given your recent post from VV hibernation, means that you're going to continue expending resources in that direction come November.  To each their own, though.  Good luck to you.

• Matt R. likes this

#1594 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

I bought too much avocado toast and now I'm stuck in some guys basement in deep Langford for the rest of my life.

Ok just kidding, I just beat the housing wave and now my house is randomly worth 3 times what I bought it for.  #iguessthisdisqualifiesmefrombeingamillenial

• VicHockeyFan, Bob Fugger, tedward and 2 others like this

#1595 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

I'm happy to pay Councillors 80k and the Mayor 120k if they represented 200k people...

No arguments from me re: amalgamation.

Victoria: 236,000 people
- Victoria (86)
- Saanich (114)
- Oak Bay (18)
- Esquimalt (18)

Westshore: 64,000 people
- Langford (35)
- Colwood (17)
- Highlands (2)
- View Royal (10)

Penninsula: 40,000 people
- Sidney (12)
- North Saanich (11)
- Central Saanich (17)

Sooke: 23,000
- Sooke (13)
- Metchosin (5)
- JdF Electoral Area (5)

• Greg, jonny, John M. and 1 other like this

Andrew J. Reeve

#1596 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

I'll go $80 and $150 when Saanich and Vic merge.

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1597 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

Keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better about your specific plight.  Sure, we have supply, density and affordability issues.  But I know plenty of your cohort who are homeowners.  It's all about priorities, though, right?  Some people choose to commit to the hustle while others expend their energies on things what won't lead to homeownership - like playing politician.  Which, given your recent post from VV hibernation, means that you're going to continue expending resources in that direction come November.  To each their own, though.  Good luck to you.

That's exactly how to get young leadership in Victoria... accuse anyone under 30 interested in politics and the future of the city as "playing politician"

I've worked full-time as a Communications professional in both the public and private sectors, but sure, I'm not committing to "the hustle" as you say. 

I actually don't know a single person around my age that owns property in the City of Victoria. Langford, Sooke, sure. Not Victoria. That's just your anecdote versus mine I suppose. Glad you agree that we have supply, density, and affordability issues. Maybe we can discuss the real issues then?

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, tedward and 3 others like this

Andrew J. Reeve

#1598 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

That's exactly how to get young leadership in Victoria... accuse anyone under 30 interested in politics and the future of the city as "playing politician"

I've worked full-time as a Communications professional in both the public and private sectors, but sure, I'm not committing to "the hustle" as you say. 

I actually don't know a single person around my age that owns property in the City of Victoria. Langford, Sooke, sure. Not Victoria. That's just your anecdote versus mine I suppose. Glad you agree that we have supply, density, and affordability issues. Maybe we can discuss the real issues then?

Ah well, a communications professional: the world should have been your oyster. The system must indeed be broken.

#1599 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:11 PM

I know of several high-profile business people in town that are incredibly passionate about the future of Victoria and would certainly run for Council if it was the same part-time position it was decades ago. They have said as much. Unfortunately, it has been turned into a full-time position without equivalent pay. 

This presents a significant barrier on two fronts. First, successful business people can't take on a second full-time position if they still want to be involved in their business. Right there you lose a great deal of quality individuals who would make a big difference on Council.

Second, it prevents younger people from stepping up to take on the job, because someone in their 20s or 30s just "starting out" in the real world and trying to accrue wealth, save for a home*, and build a stable life is not likely to put their name forward for a $40K (before taxes) position. And we wonder why there's a real lack of younger leadership in this city.

Add in the 21st century problems like trolls bashing your business online and/or trying to get you fired at work by making baseless accusations or targeting your clients and your $40K a year full time council position even makes less sense.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#1600 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

https://www.theglobe...a-new-victoria/ I just found this article. 

• Rob Randall and lanforod like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users