5915 replies to this topic

#1601 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

^pfffft!
  • John M. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1602 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:27 PM

https://www.theglobe...a-new-victoria/ I just found this article. 

^pfffft!

Interesting that the readers' comments section for that article has been closed, marked

"We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse."

Maybe some Victorians gave some feedback that was a wee bit stronger than pfffft.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1603 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

So 24 hours has passed and we have no Champion of Common Sense to take on the mayor? I guess tweets aren’t that reliable.

#1604 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

So 24 hours has passed and we have no Champion of Common Sense to take on the mayor? I guess tweets aren’t that reliable.

A flaky UVic prof?  Well, I never!

• RFS likes this

#1605 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

They were talking about this on CFAX today and it was mentioned that if there was a candidate at this stage, it would probably be a gorilla style campaign.  There was some discussion about someone running against the bike lanes for example.  I personally don't think they would rip out the existing lanes, although if they mess up Dallas road or Wharf street bad enough, who knows;

The city will spend almost $500,000 to remove an eight-kilometre stretch of painted bike lanes along 95th Avenue that were put in less than two years ago.  "We have to make sure if we're going to design something that's high-quality and have public support, (the public) also needs to realize that they will be heard when they speak up," Knack said.

The city also decided Wednesday afternoon to remove lanes on 40th Avenue from 119th Street to 106th Street, and on 106th Street from Whitemud Drive to 34th Avenue.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...venue-1.3142737

#1606 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:42 PM

That’s Edmonton, btw.

And so it’s begun. You have to keep your crews busy somehow.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1607 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

They were talking about this on CFAX today and it was mentioned that if there was a candidate at this stage, it would probably be a gorilla style campaign.  There was some discussion about someone running against the bike lanes for example.  I personally don't think they would rip out the existing lanes, although if they mess up Dallas road or Wharf street bad enough, who knows;

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...venue-1.3142737

Maybe this is a different Edmonton than the one that then put in an entire downtown protected bike network and had the mayor who pushed it be easily reelected.  

#1608 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

‘Together Victoria’ (formerly Organize Victoria)

https://www.dropbox....ackage.pdf?dl=0

https://www.paov.ca/...toria1520038322

#1609 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:12 PM

A flaky UVic prof? Well, I never!

ya, you had us checking all day. a bust
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1610 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

ya, you had us checking all day. a bust

Sorry, mate - seemed legit.  Zero explanation or follow up Tweets from her, either.  Hardly surprised.

#1611 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

Turns out Professor Speers was talking about North Saanich: Tweet

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#1612 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Turns out Professor Speers was talking about North Saanich: Tweet

booooooooooring....

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1613 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:07 PM

In the current climate - a "new face" with a reasonable and pragmatic platform, would stand an excellent chance of ousting Helps.  The danger is actually having several reasonable candidates run for mayor and splitting the reasonable and pragmatic vote.  The state of downtown alone is a good starting point for a platform - the heart of our city is in a sad state with acts of violence making headlines on a far too frequent basis.  What is shocking is that all that needs to be done is a commitment to enforcing existing laws with respect to public intoxication and trespass - and we need to quit rolling out the welcome mat to every addicted and unemployable person in Canada.  The parking situation also needs to be addressed - there needs to be more spaces, or alternatively getting around the core needs to be made easier.  If there were frequent, free shuttles, servicing the core, people probably would not mind parking a bit further afield.  I'm actually in favour of bike infrastructure and bike lanes - but how they're done might need to be revisited as they can be far more economical than they have been.  Amalgamation needs to be "on the agenda" - and Victoria needs to do a better job of working with those who live and work here, a better job of respecting the money they've been entrusted to use via our taxes.  

Edited by Awaiting Juno, 17 May 2018 - 12:08 PM.

• Nparker, LJ, spanky123 and 6 others like this

#1614 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:10 PM

Also - I think the "residential only" spaces thing needs to end - make spaces 2 hour limits unless a resident permit is displayed.  This idea that residents own the parking on their street to the exclusion of other tax paying citizens is a bit absurd.  Can you imagine if the residents of Dallas Road made a similar demand?  They haven't.

• Rob Randall, rjag, spanky123 and 4 others like this

#1615 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

In the current climate - a "new face" with a reasonable and pragmatic platform, would stand an excellent chance of ousting Helps.  The danger is actually having several reasonable candidates run for mayor and splitting the reasonable and pragmatic vote.  The state of downtown alone is a good starting point for a platform - the heart of our city is in a sad state with acts of violence making headlines on a far too frequent basis.  What is shocking is that all that needs to be done is a commitment to enforcing existing laws with respect to public intoxication and trespass - and we need to quit rolling out the welcome mat to every addicted and unemployable person in Canada.  The parking situation also needs to be addressed - there needs to be more spaces, or alternatively getting around the core needs to be made easier.  If there were frequent, free shuttles, servicing the core, people probably would not mind parking a bit further afield.  I'm actually in favour of bike infrastructure and bike lanes - but how they're done might need to be revisited as they can be far more economical than they have been.  Amalgamation needs to be "on the agenda" - and Victoria needs to do a better job of working with those who live and work here, a better job of respecting the money they've been entrusted to use via our taxes.  

Good points AJ. In addition I would add holding the 60+ homeless agencies accountable. If they can't come up with a way of indicating how many beds they have available then strip them of their funding until they do. It would take less than 48 hours to have 100% compliance. Once we know that we have beds available on an ongoing basis then we have the legal authority to end camping on City property. Don't like it well then here is a ticket back to where you came from. If you want a free room and board in one of our facilities then you need to do something in return. Either you get treatment for your ailment, attend work training so that you can get a job, you get a job, or here is the ticket back to where you came from.

Some tough love and we will reduce demands on our social agencies, reduce crime in the downtown core and then start to be able to live within our means at City hall. Helps' promise that opening up our wallets would save us $60K a year per homeless person has been pure BS. 

Edited by spanky123, 17 May 2018 - 12:46 PM.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, LJ and 5 others like this

#1616 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:03 AM

New residential-only designations last until 5PM, unless there’s an evening demand as well. But generally speaking beyond 5 anyone can park.

The big issue for residential neighbourhoods near a 9-5 employment centre or large business is their parking can all but disappear, leaving literally no room for residents to park their vehicles. I know I know we’ve talked about “free” parking on public roads before, but it’s a major issue when you’re dealing with a morning rush by commuters looking for free spaces and fill up residential areas. In the case of my mom’s neighbourhood it wasn’t just her block that was filling up, it was several blocks in all directions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1617 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

I actually don't know a single person around my age that owns property in the City of Victoria. Langford, Sooke, sure. Not Victoria. That's just your anecdote versus mine I suppose.

I do. Of course, they have professional degrees and are therefore bumped into the 'privileged' category and don't count.

I'm a little older than you but I grew up in Victoria, did a degree at UVic, worked until I had some money for grad school, and met my wife when she had been accepted into grad school as well. We did long distance for 3 years and then both found jobs in Calgary for more than 4 years, living in rentals, eating **** at stressful jobs and saving for a down payment for a house in Victoria. We paid just under $600k for a place in Jubilee about 5 years ago. There are still homes in Victoria for $600k but they probably don't have granite counter-tops. Of course, it also simply needs to be Victoria? Otherwise you've failed?

Here's a 3br 2ba home in the City of Victoria. It's pretty much what I paid for my house in 2011: https://www.realtor....Columbia-V8S4B9

What's the problem with it? Not good enough? Well, my house isn't nearly as nice as my parents' house either. But it's what I can afford.

I've had people (notably one on this blog) refer to me disparagingly as 'the homeowner class'. Sure. Are you saying it's not your fault that you've done a bachelors' degree and probably nary ventured more than a few blocks from your parents' house and you're waiting for the city to solve your problems? Why should you think you deserve something more than people who have simply worked harder, for longer, and risked more?

• LJ and Bob Fugger like this

#1618 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

New residential-only designations last until 5PM, unless there’s an evening demand as well. But generally speaking beyond 5 anyone can park.

The big issue for residential neighbourhoods near a 9-5 employment centre or large business is their parking can all but disappear, leaving literally no room for residents to park their vehicles. I know I know we’ve talked about “free” parking on public roads before, but it’s a major issue when you’re dealing with a morning rush by commuters looking for free spaces and fill up residential areas. In the case of my mom’s neighbourhood it wasn’t just her block that was filling up, it was several blocks in all directions.

That’s why we go instead to 2 hours except by resident permit.

#1619 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

I've had people (notably one on this blog) refer to me disparagingly as 'the homeowner class'. Sure. Are you saying it's not your fault that you've done a bachelors' degree and probably nary ventured more than a few blocks from your parents' house and you're waiting for the city to solve your problems? Why should you think you deserve something more than people who have simply worked harder, for longer, and risked more?

Less about the city solving the problem, more about the city not creating/exacerbating the problem. It's incredible how every time someone wants to have a reasonable discussion about increasing density and housing supply the conversation somehow devolves into talk of privilege and entitlement.

Not once have I said I deserve or am entitled to anything. Never asked for a hand-out. I am advocating for public policy that I genuinely believe will be best for the future of the city.

• Nparker, jonny and John M. like this

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#1620 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

Not once have I said I deserve or am entitled to anything. Never asked for a hand-out. I am advocating for public policy that I genuinely believe will be best for the future of the city.

Sure. Keep telling yourself that, if it helps.

• Bob Fugger likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users