Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1741 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

Apologies for my sinful grammar and typos. Random capitalization due to no real quality emphasis tool in Facebook.
  • Nparker, sdwright.vic, AndrewReeve and 5 others like this

#1742 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:49 AM

And perhaps thats the biggest barrier to becoming a politician.  The idea that the instant you do, people will assume you're lying.  I hope Mr. Andrew throws his hat in the ring.  I admire that he's chosen to continue to speak on civic issues over the past few years.

I would hope that if he decides to run then the other right of left leaning candidates would allow the vote to consolidate. 

• rmpeers likes this

#1743 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:30 AM

I'd prefer to vote for a candidate who is running for something rather then candidates who are running against something...

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#1744 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

I'd prefer to vote for a candidate who is running for something rather then candidates who are running against something...

Me too but I am still not aware of any coherent vision being espoused by the incumbent. (Why I parked my vote elsewhere last time.)

In any case, it would be appealing to see not only the desire to change things but also some firm ideas on what that cjange would look like.

#1745 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:50 AM

Good idea but name one election at any level of Government in recent years where this has happened. Booted our Fortin over the bridge, Leonard because he didn't support amalgamation, Clark because of cost cutting, Harper because he was arrogant, Wynne because of excessive spending, etc, etc.

#1746 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

What country do you think you're living in?

• theboss likes this

#1747 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

^Yes, Fortin lost the election because of the bridge but what you're missing is Helps ran on a platform of positive change. Ida Chong ran on a platform of negativity. Big difference.

Now whether you think Helps fulfilled that pledge is a different topic.

• nerka likes this

#1748 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,841 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:46 AM

Sean Leitenberg has ensured he will not be getting my vote.

...The city needs to engage in “sensible development,” he says, pointing to purpose-built housing, as opposed to approving developments he feels only further drive up market prices...Leitenberg says. “If we don’t properly assess what we’re looking to achieve here than we may end up with a town with vacant condos [made for] people for investment properties.”...

https://www.vicnews....-fall-election/

Anyone who buys into the "vacant condo" theory is no one I want running my city.

• rjag, Bob Fugger, AndrewReeve and 4 others like this

#1749 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

If I was running it would be FOR something. For a council that is respectful, allows staff to get on with work in a timely fashion under the guidelines of council policies, reducing micromanagement ensure more efficient response. There’s more, but you get the idea.

I agree with the idea candidates need to coalesce. I have first hand experience there. 😉

And everyone I’m not going to disclose my voting record but I will say I am not right-leaning when it comes to social justice.

Thank you

Edited by Stephen Andrew, 01 June 2018 - 10:23 AM.

• Cassidy likes this

#1750 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

If I was running it would be FOR something. For a council that is respectful, allows staff to get on with work in a timely fashion under the guidelines of council policies, reducing micromanagement ensure more efficient response. There’s more, but you get the idea.

I agree with the idea candidates need to coalesce. I have first hand experience there.

And everyone I’m not going to disclose my voting record but I will say I am not right-leaning when it comes to social justice.

Thank you

I take it you're running for something, again?  The timing of your sudden reappearance on this forum sure matches the MO of non-incumbent candidates...

• tedward and Stephen James like this

#1751 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:41 AM

I take it you're running for something, again?  The timing of your sudden reappearance on this forum sure matches the MO of non-incumbent candidates...

Both Stephen and Ida waited until the last minute to declare their intentions last cycle. Now you can argue that it worked against them, but we had a strong incumbent and a well known council member already running so the outcome was probably inevitable anyways. The Mayor has a very strong machine behind her with 150+ volunteers that engage if they feel there is a threat.

#1752 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

Both Stephen and Ida waited until the last minute to declare their intentions last cycle. Now you can argue that it worked against them, but we had a strong incumbent and a well known council member already running so the outcome was probably inevitable anyways. The Mayor has a very strong machine behind her with 150+ volunteers that engage if they feel there is a threat.

How does a candidate assemble a similar team, without declaring?  

#1753 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,153 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Leonard because he didn't support amalgamation,

There was more to it than that. Leonard had/has a condescending sanctimonious dictating demeanor. He spoke at the all candidates meetings as if he was assured of being re-elected.

He also mislead his constituents on the topic of there being a re-zoning requirement in order to build a digester at Hartland for sewage treatment.

Most residents in Saanich could give a squat about amalgamation.
  • Bingo and Cassidy like this

#1754 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,841 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:44 AM

...Most residents in Saanich could give a squat about amalgamation.

I am not sure, based on the results of the 2014 ballot question, if the above statement is entirely valid.

Saanich’s question reflected local politicians’ reluctance to let go of the reins: “Do you support council initiating a community based review of the governance structure and policies within Saanich and our partnerships within the region?” The result was an overwhelming 88 per cent yes vote (21,437-2,780).

http://www.timescolo...kinda-1.1588633

It would seem 21,437 Saanich residents felt something about the existing governance model needed examination.

• AndrewReeve and Stephen James like this

#1755 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,153 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

That is not the same question as amalgamating with another municipality though.

#1756 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

Start asking friends and start assembling your core team of 4 or 5. Get them to start quietly recruiting. After you announce, start recruiting like mad.

#1757 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:05 PM

I made a simple guide:

2bg166.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

• Coreyburger, Matt R., AndrewReeve and 1 other like this

#1758 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,841 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

That is not the same question as amalgamating with another municipality though.

But it is not accepting the status quo either.

#1759 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

There was more to it than that. Leonard had/has a condescending sanctimonious dictating demeanor. He spoke at the all candidates meetings as if he was assured of being re-elected.

He also mislead his constituents on the topic of there being a re-zoning requirement in order to build a digester at Hartland for sewage treatment.

Most residents in Saanich could give a squat about amalgamation.

100% agree. Was just keeping things simple! Point being that Atwell won because voters lost faith in Leonard.

• Sparky likes this

#1760 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

The core teams are already assembled. You don't need to announce to start strategizing and planning.

Lets look at our recent history with the 2 candidates who recently announced runs for Mayor. Is anyone or any media discussing platforms or issues, are there any debates, is there any meaningful dialogue with constituents? Of course not, it is the start of summer and nobody gives a poop about the fall election right now. Instead people just criticize grammar and photos of the candidates. Nothing was gained announcing this far in advance.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (3)