Photo

New flag for the City of Victoria?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:32 PM

Are those horns or leafs or what coming out of the helmet and/or headless knight? If those are victory goddesses who won?

M09353.jpg

Edited by todd, 21 July 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

Are those horns or leafs or what coming out of the helmet and/or headless knight? If those are victory goddesses who won?

HERE you go.

Initially granted in 1962 by the College of Arms in London, as Canada fell under the purview of the English heralds at that time, thecoat of arms of Victoria was later registered with the Canadian Heraldic Authority in 2005.[1] The design of the shield consists of twopiles, one atop the other, that gives the appearance of a white “V” separating the shield into red and blue segments, creating a cypher for the city's namesake and a representation of the peninsula where the city is located and juts into the blue sea. A Royal Crown is placed on the red pile as another allusion to Queen Victoria, for whom the city is named.

There is no torse or mantling mentioned in the Canadian registry, yet mantling is depicted in the London grant as red and gold. Amural crown, a common symbol found in municipal arms, is mentioned in the blazon of the crest, which shows a dove descending from and about the rays of the Eye of Providence, emblems of peace and bounty.

Two winged figures, said to personify Colony and Civilization, support the arms, standing upon a compartment of clouds and wavy bars of white and blue, a heraldic depiction of water.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:53 PM

^I said I'm googled out, can you specify about the horns?

Edited by todd, 21 July 2016 - 08:04 PM.

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:16 AM

Prince George

Ah, but we're referring to a specific person, that being a Prince George. Charlottetown is suffixed by town.

Victoria = victory, not just Queen Victoria.

@Todd, you won't find everything on the Google ;) But do some research on the Goddess Victory and that'll point you in the right direction.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

@Todd, you won't find everything on the Google ;) But do some research on the Goddess Victory and that'll point you in the right direction.

Not written in the Google? Okay, I outsourced it for now as I'm a bit busy.

#66 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:28 AM

Charlotte, North Carolina.

#67 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

Ah, okay got it. So just the two dimensions?

Edited by todd, 22 July 2016 - 01:39 PM.

#68 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

Late great Uncle in Chicago was a Freemason, he spoke of basically trades unions within the Freemason where they would meet independently and coordinate exchange business and so forth, including electricians, plumbers, carpenters, doctors, lawyers, police etc., He claimed his Freemason ring got them out of more than a few speeding tickets, need a job as a teacher "no problem". You get any perks like that in Victoria?  

How about the limitations Freemasons place on each other in legal and court proceedings how is that approached these days? Or at least in Victoria?

I'm sorry but the silence is deafening AllseeingEye I've grown to trust you as I believe a legitimate Freemason by not answering my question I'm forced to consider something very sinister is going on in the Victoria Freemasons and elsewhere? Any of the other apparent Freemasons on VV wish to answer?

And who do I speak to about initiation?

Edited by todd, 22 July 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

Charlotte, North Carolina.

Ah, good one!

She was married to King George III, although she was of German decent. That's actually quite interesting, naming a city after a British monarch who was actually German by birth.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

Ah, okay got it. So just the two dimensions?

Here's a little blurb from Wikipedia. Despite it being a hokey source for a lot of things, this is actually pretty good:

"Winged figures, very often in pairs, representing victory and referred to as "victories", were common in Roman official iconography, typically hovering high in a composition, and often filling spaces in spandrels or other gaps in architecture. These represent the spirit of victory rather than the goddess herself. They continued to appear after Christianization of the Empire, and slowly mutated into Christian angels."

Which further lends credence to the theory that Victoria, BC is actually named after a goddess in the spirit of victory, not merely a monarch's first name. I mean our coat of arms isn't just a product of a 1960's love-in where leaders of the day compiled a list of things that reminded them of Victoria and brought them all together into a snazzy design that was merely OK'd by London, England. There's far more to it.

Know it all.

#71 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:48 PM

That's exactly like the theory that Vancouver was not named for the explorer--it was named after renowned rock group Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers, a member of which was--wait for it--famous stoner Tommy Chong. It's no coincidence Vancouver City Hall just happens to be overwhelmed by the cannabis store crisis. Wake up! There's a war on for your mind! Today it's a flag...tomorrow, who knows?

• Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

#72 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

I'm sorry but the silence is deafening AllseeingEye I've grown to trust you as I believe a legitimate Freemason by not answering my question I'm forced to consider something very sinister is going on in the Victoria Freemasons and elsewhere? Any of the other apparent Freemasons on VV wish to answer?

And who do I speak to about initiation?

Sorry Todd....my colleagues might disagree but I actually do have a job. And a mortgage. And a family. I don't lurk on VV 2x24 :). PM me with any questions you have about FM as there are certain aspects of the fraternity not for general discussion particularly on anonymous web boards. I respond in the same fashion BTW to those who pose the same inquiries on Facebook. Always happy to talk in person, one on one, over a coffee. I can certainly direct you in the event you were serious about petitioning for entry into the fraternity. Otherwise for all I know you are an agent for Opus Dei, lol.

However in very general terms in response to your points: I am not aware of "groups within groups" in FM other than the concordant bodies like Scottish Rite,of which I am a member, or York Rite or the Shrine for example;in addition the senior Craft lodge officers do meet from time to time to discuss purely lodge business. Often over a cheap pint or two.

Insofar as "perks" I receive no more or less than anyone else might who is a member of an org like the Chamber of Commerce for example - members in time become friendly, sometimes becoming very good friends in the process; human nature being what it is its not unusual for a member of the lodge - lets say he is a dentist - to offer his services to a family member of another brother who perhaps was having difficulty finding a dentist. You could insert lawyer, or accountant or financial planner for dentist and come up with a similar result. Simple as that and nothing terribly sinister there.

Frankly I got more "perks" in terms of breaks from the law when I was a kid and a teen when my dad was in local radio/television. In those circumstances there are no less than 4 instances I can recall where as a direct result of who my dad was I got the proverbial "break" including two instances (one with VicPD and the other with SaanichPD) where I was very clearly speeding....like waaaaay over the limit speeding, lol.

-> Cop: "Are you so and so's kid?" Me: "Yessir!!" Cop: "Go home. Go directly home. And I never saw you. BTW say hello to the old man and your mom from me..."

• todd likes this

#73 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, I think the "perks" Masons once enjoyed were more common decades past. You can't really get away with stuff like that any more, and chances are the cop or bureaucrat you've just attempted to oddly shake hands with will wonder what's wrong with you.

Know it all.

#74 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

That's exactly like the theory that Vancouver was not named for the explorer--it was named after renowned rock group Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers, a member of which was--wait for it--famous stoner Tommy Chong. It's no coincidence Vancouver City Hall just happens to be overwhelmed by the cannabis store crisis. Wake up! There's a war on for your mind! Today it's a flag...tomorrow, who knows?

Actually Vancouver Washington is named after the same guy and the city is older than Vancouver British Columbia, but Vancouver Washington was probably named after his grandfather George and Vancouver BC is also named after another George; and both locations are near major rivers, both originating in the Columbia ice fields which means nothing into today's debate. Both cities are in countries that have red in their flags, which should mean something. Perhaps Trump will answer these questions.

#75 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:43 PM

Yeah, I think the "perks" Masons once enjoyed were more common decades past. You can't really get away with stuff like that any more, and chances are the cop or bureaucrat you've just attempted to oddly shake hands with will wonder what's wrong with you.

The cheap pint sounds pretty good though.

Edited by todd, 22 July 2016 - 03:43 PM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#76 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:54 PM

Sorry Todd....my colleagues might disagree but I actually do have a job. And a mortgage. And a family. I don't lurk on VV 2x24 :). PM me with any questions you have about FM as there are certain aspects of the fraternity not for general discussion particularly on anonymous web boards. I respond in the same fashion BTW to those who pose the same inquiries on Facebook. Always happy to talk in person, one on one, over a coffee. I can certainly direct you in the event you were serious about petitioning for entry into the fraternity. Otherwise for all I know you are an agent for Opus Dei, lol.

However in very general terms in response to your points: I am not aware of "groups within groups" in FM other than the concordant bodies like Scottish Rite,of which I am a member, or York Rite or the Shrine for example;in addition the senior Craft lodge officers do meet from time to time to discuss purely lodge business. Often over a cheap pint or two.

Insofar as "perks" I receive no more or less than anyone else might who is a member of an org like the Chamber of Commerce for example - members in time become friendly, sometimes becoming very good friends in the process; human nature being what it is its not unusual for a member of the lodge - lets say he is a dentist - to offer his services to a family member of another brother who perhaps was having difficulty finding a dentist. You could insert lawyer, or accountant or financial planner for dentist and come up with a similar result. Simple as that and nothing terribly sinister there.

Frankly I got more "perks" in terms of breaks from the law when I was a kid and a teen when my dad was in local radio/television. In those circumstances there are no less than 4 instances I can recall where as a direct result of who my dad was I got the proverbial "break" including two instances (one with VicPD and the other with SaanichPD) where I was very clearly speeding....like waaaaay over the limit speeding, lol.

-> Cop: "Are you so and so's kid?" Me: "Yessir!!" Cop: "Go home. Go directly home. And I never saw you. BTW say hello to the old man and your mom from me..."

So yourself you would not (and excuse me if I'm naïve) honor such rules within the Freemasons such as: if you are aware they are Freemason not testifying against another Freemason in court or not reporting a crime a Freemason had committed. Those rules are still on the books?

Edited by todd, 22 July 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#77 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

The cheap pint sounds pretty good though.

Then you would really enjoy the post-meeting social board....$1.50 for a belt of scotch. I think it was a $1/beer.... :)

FM is relatively young (the oldest lodge in this country dates to 1738) in Canada; to my knowledge there have never been the concerns expressed nor especially the in-your-face media coverage about presumed privilege that have periodically been raised in the UK - especially since the 1960's - where FM obviously has much much, much deeper roots. 

Per media stories of the day there was reportedly a time in the UK when a majority of those in senior positions in Scotland Yard, British Intelligence indeed in local police constabularies up and down the country, had masonic affiliations. As such at various times in the last 40-50 years they were accused of being the recipients of "privilege", supposedly resulting in preferential workplace hiring or promotion practices.

To what degree that may hold true today I can't say, but I do note that even relatively recently there was a movement among a segment of the British Parliament that would have seen legislation passed compelling anyone being appointed to positions of authority in the military, police, intelligence services, CID, Foreign Ministry etc., to self identify as masons if indeed they were members of the craft. Obviously I would not agree with such a policy nor see it as remotely a good thing. Where that 'initiative' stands today I do not know.

#78 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

Then you would really enjoy the post-meeting social board....$1.50 for a belt of scotch. I think it was a $1/beer.... :)

:cheers:   I'm safe to assume sinister things do go on at the meetings than.

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

If Masonry truly was just about a bunch of happy go lucky guys drinking $1 beers and taking breaks from their wives they sure wouldn't be proud of that fact and wound do everything possible to give the "craft" some real purpose or meaning. So the fact that Mason after Mason downplays absolutely everything about the fraternity and insists its membership is there solely for a good time and brotherly love sure gives one the impression that there's far more to the story than meets the eye.

In truth though, the vast majority of Masons aren't exposed to the craziness. There's no need to do so, and it also ensures their secrets remain as such. Rise high enough in the ranks and it's a different story.

Know it all.

#80 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:58 PM

I am unclear why you appear to have a burr up your saddle re: FM Mike.

Since this is a thread about a HS kid's effort to create a new flag for the CoV I think we're going way down an errant path here. Feel free any any time to PM if you have actual, real questions or concerns. Its disingenuous of you to state "the truth is..." when - in fact - the truth actually is you aren't a mason therefore you've never attended a full lodge meeting and, therefore, you have no idea what transpires in any formal masonic gathering. Zero. None. Beyond perhaps whatever "facts" you think you've gleaned from presumably reading one too many anti-masonic websites.....

Since however FM is a private fraternity that takes in no public funds - yet distributes hundred of millions of $ dollars annually and literally on a global scale, for a plethora of good causes including Children's Burn Units - why should we reveal what happens at our meetings? If you aren't a member its none of your concern. If - OTOH - you feel a burning curiosity to find out then I suggest you consider petitioning for admission. Otherwise FM is perfectly within its right to keep private meetings private.

Is it my business what the owners of Citified and VV discuss at your closed door corporate meetings, assuming you aren't a publicly-held entity? How do we know you you aren't in cahoots with a nefarious international development cabal bent on paving the way politically for the construction of a 100-story mega-monolith in the middle of the lawn on the Legislative Grounds? We don't - but regardless the answer is "no" if you are private: what you discuss corporately behind closed office doors is your business and not mine. Do you throw open your doors to those VV management meetings to just anyone? Not that I've heard. I'm willing to bet you don't. And why would you? Why should we?

Anyone at any time is free to speak with a mason and ask questions; I am perfectly happy to discuss it as long the as the other person has an open mind as opposed to having a preconceived anti-masonic axe to grind. I'm not interested in wasting my time or energy. Where that all leads - assuming the individual is on the level and a decent human being to boot, which most certainly helps - is entirely up to them. It might shock you to know but the end goal of lots of decent men isn't necessarily to buy a 20,000 s/f home in Broadmead and have a $250,000 car in the driveway. For some - many in fact - just being good and decent men who contribute to broader society - and perhaps learn a thing or two about themselves and their place in the world along the way - is more than sufficient.

• lanforod likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users