Royal visit to Victoria, September 2016

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:45 AM

Justin Trudeau WILL appear on the Legislature lawn tomorrow, with the Royals, CFAX1070 reports.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,176 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:58 AM

Afterwards will he go on vacation, or is he on vacation right now?

• Wayne likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

Afterwards will he go on vacation, or is he on vacation right now?

He's going to go to Vancouver and meet with them there at Kitsilano coast guard etc.

Christy Clark will be at the Legislature lawn and will make some statements.

Have not heard if Helps is invited.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

This isn't at all a critique of anyone on VV but more of a comment on broader society, and what - and who - we value: but I really must read up on and delve into the psychology of why many people are so fascinated by what I term the cult of "celebrity". Personally I generally care not one whit which is why I won't be braving the traffic and the parking restrictions and the enthralled hordes to gain a faint glimpse of WIlliam-Kate-the kids-Justin & Family et al.

The only exception I ever really went out of my to make was to head down to the 'Planet Hollywood' opening in YVR when I lived there 16 years ago; at the time I was a huge Ahhnold fan and got into the "after" party courtesy of a well connected friend; I got a handshake and a high five from the Terminator himself. Oh and when Mel Bridgman of the Victoria Cougars was drafted Number One in the NHL by the Flyers back in the mid-70's I did get a ride in his shiny brand new Corvette with the Pennsylvania license plates. That was cool for a 14 year old hockey fanatic/fan....

I met the Queen in 1971 when she reviewed a bunch of us cub scouts in Centennial Square. That was nice although at age 10 I was only very dimly aware of what the fuss was all about. She was apparently important so I went with the flow and remember to this day the protocol drilled into us over and over_and over - should Her Royal Magnificence deign to actually speak to one of us mortals:

"Do" make a small curtsy, bow, or nod;

•     Politely shake the Queen's hand if offered
  •     Wait for Her Majesty to address you
  •     Address her as "Your Majesty" the first time in the conversation
  •     Address her as "Ma'am" for the rest of the conversation
  •     Do NOT ask personal questions! - *Yes because its none of your non-blue blood "muggle" business!!

Saw the lot of them, her and the rest of the royal brood, standing on the balcony @ Buckingham Palace in 1975 during the trooping of the color on her birthday. Fine, "royal stuff" checked off the bucket list by age 15. I guess...if that is important to you. The only member of that family I would loved to have met was the Queen Mother - because she was supposedly a most non-PC, (very) off color joke-telling, smoking, fine scotch-loving (excellent!) woman. She sounds like she would have been a lot of fun to hang around with!

I don't like golf - at all - so when a buddy on FB whose firm is one of the sponsors of the Bear Mtn tournament pinged and offered me a chance this week to get a pic with Bernhard Langer and Mark O'Meara - I know who they are, I simply don't care - he was somewhat taken aback when I declined: "Bernhard Langer? O'Meara? Does that mean I have to fight traffic and drive all the way to B-M? Yes? Thanks for asking but no thanks xxxx".

I don't care what fashion "style" Kate is currently showing off these days, nor do I obsess about the current state of William's hairline, or whether Justin is as pretty in person as he comes across in one of his innumerable selfie's.

Last night I actually witnessed a couple of people (ok...women) in Save On Foods literally verbally scrapping over the last issue of one of the celebrity scandal rags detailing the 'Brangelina' split.....seriously? Really? Do mere mortals actually lose sleep over this slop? Who cares about what a couple of Hollywood twonks do, or do not do, in terms of the state of their marriage? Generally I'm heads down and way too concerned with my family, health, home, friends, next vacation destination....the questionable state of the transmission in my Eddie Bauer SUV.....IOW all the usual stuff that actually matters.

• Gary H and lanforod like this

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,176 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:23 PM

Here's a map and the times you can expect to take in all the Royal action between September 24th and October 1st.

Royal-Visit-to-Victoria-September-24-29-October-1-2016.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:49 PM

Preparations continue for the big visit tomorrow.

File_002 (41).jpeg File_000 (71).jpeg File_001 (43).jpeg File_001 (42).jpeg File_005 (20).jpeg File_007 (12).jpeg File_000 (69).jpeg File_008 (5).jpeg File_002 (42).jpeg File_001 (42).jpeg

Attached Images

• File_006 (17).jpeg

• Bingo likes this

#47 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:58 PM

Could really give a flying fruit cake. Don't get the big deal.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:01 PM

Could really give a flying fruit cake. Don't get the big deal.

They are just very popular celebrities, with the extra bonus that they serve a government role.   I get it.  

• Bingo likes this

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

http://youtu.be/6TDOke0nOss

http://youtu.be/ilrpSWWafj0

• Bingo likes this

#50 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:13 PM

Yeah... don't like celebrities or politicians. So not my thing.
  • Baro likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

They are just very popular celebrities, with the extra bonus that they serve a government role.   I get it.  

And their presence brings a lot of media attention and additional money into Victoria, so for that reason I am at least a little in support of the whole venture.

• Midnightly and On the Level like this

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

http://youtu.be/ueZriIjd8I0

• Bingo likes this

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:53 PM

I met the Queen in 1971 when she reviewed a bunch of us cub scouts in Centennial Square. That was nice although at age 10 I was only very dimly aware of what the fuss was all about. She was apparently important so I went with the flow and remember to this day the protocol drilled into us over and over_and over - should Her Royal Magnificence deign to actually speak to one of us mortals:

"Do" make a small curtsy, bow, or nod;

•     Politely shake the Queen's hand if offered
  •     Wait for Her Majesty to address you
  •     Address her as "Your Majesty" the first time in the conversation
  •     Address her as "Ma'am" for the rest of the conversation
  •     Do NOT ask personal questions! - *Yes because its none of your non-blue blood "muggle" business!!

Saw the lot of them, her and the rest of the royal brood, standing on the balcony @ Buckingham Palace in 1975 during the trooping of the color on her birthday. Fine, "royal stuff" checked off the bucket list by age 15. I guess...if that is important to you. The only member of that family I would loved to have met was the Queen Mother - because she was supposedly a most non-PC, (very) off color joke-telling, smoking, fine scotch-loving (excellent!) woman. She sounds like she would have been a lot of fun to hang around with!

I don't like golf - at all - so when a buddy on FB whose firm is one of the sponsors of the Bear Mtn tournament pinged and offered me a chance this week to get a pic with Bernhard Langer and Mark O'Meara - I know who they are, I simply don't care - he was somewhat taken aback when I declined: "Bernhard Langer? O'Meara? Does that mean I have to fight traffic and drive all the way to B-M? Yes? Thanks for asking but no thanks xxxx".

I didn't meet the queen in 1971 but I saw her and hubby driving down Wharf st. in an open car. No, I didn't go down to see her, I was working on my car at a garage along there somewhere where you could rent bay time and borrow tools.

I love golf and have met most of the golfers here for the tournament, by working as a volunteer. Some of them are real nice guys, some of them are dickheads, just like any other group of people. I don't get my picture taken with them and I don't get autographs, I just don't get that part at all. But then I don't understand selfies either, if you need a picture to prove you were at an event or whatever, you must not be very believable otherwise.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:06 PM

http://youtu.be/ueZriIjd8I0

Photographic media coverage at its finest.
I trust you will be in uniform for the duration of the royal visit. And don't forget to curtsy.

Edited by Bingo, 23 September 2016 - 08:25 PM.

• Bingo likes this

#55 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:47 PM

I actually get the autograph bit LJ, especially if we're talking about kids or young adults, whether its their celebrity or sporting hero's. Got it. As kids we all look up to our hero's whether they are sporting legends, a comic book figure or our dad's...

When I was 12 the Montreal Canadiens played their one and only game ever in Victoria, an exhibition against the LA Kings before the start of the 1972-3 season. I hung around their bench starting in the third period and got autographs from half that team including both Mahovlich brothers, Yvan Cournoyer and Serge Savard among others. "Heaven" for a hockey-playing Canadian kid who lived and breathed the sport and worshiped that team. 

What I don't get - particularly among adults and those generally old enough to know better - is the seeming compulsive obsession with seeing in person/photographing/or trying usually vainly to be seen with so-called 'celebrities'. Or going completely out of your way to engage in any or all of those activities.

As Neil Peart (drummer for Rush) said a year or so ago "it's all just very weird and rather unsettling to me" that some fans stalk rock stars to the point of trying to find out what hotel they're at, what time they go for a meal, what entrance/exit they might take - but moreover to his central point - that they should even want to. As he pointed out as a kid he also went to see his rock star hero's in concert but "it never ever occurred to me to try to get into their hotel room!" And I agree; depending on the celebrity I may well pay $ to see them perform in concert, on the sporting medium be it a field or a sheet of ice, or watch their movie in a theater.

I am not however going to turn my life upside down as I worship them from afar. Or up close for that matter. Nor am I remotely interested - in the slightest - in knowing anything at all about and dissecting their their personal lives or lifestyles, who they sleep with, what brand of makeup they wear or beer they drink, or following them on their Twitter account: that I really don't get...how many x-million Twitter followers does Charlie Sheen have? Kim Kardashian? Justin Trudeau? Really...you've got nothing better to do?.

At the end of the day for those with compulsive, obsessive interest in 'celebrity' the time and energy to waste is entirely theirs of course, and doesn't impact me as I'm entirely unaffected personally: as I said above I am merely fascinated with the psychology behind those people engrossed by so-called 'celebrity'. Even today the celebrity scandal-rags we see in all the grocery stores are seemingly as popular now as ever. I have to presume they remain wildly financially profitable otherwise they would have disappeared ages ago - ergo lots and lots of people must be buying them for reasons that entirely escape me. As above I often wonder who buys these things, and why. I simply find the cult of "celebrity" to be an interesting phenomenon is all......

Edited by AllseeingEye, 23 September 2016 - 08:48 PM.

#56 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:12 PM

Last night I actually witnessed a couple of people (ok...women) in Save On Foods literally verbally scrapping over the last issue of one of the celebrity scandal rags detailing the 'Brangelina' split.....seriously? .

Demographics is an interesting subject.......watching the situation escalate over the best viewing spot might be more interesting than seeing who is using the on and off ramp to bypass traffic at helmcken then aggressively butt back in.  (Seriously....look who is doing it next time)   

• AllseeingEye likes this

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:51 AM

I don't get my picture taken with them and I don't get autographs, I just don't get that part at all. But then I don't understand selfies either, if you need a picture to prove you were at an event or whatever, you must not be very believable otherwise.

I do not understand the autograph thing.  I'm OK having my picture taken with a celeb.

• Bingo likes this

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:55 AM

As Neil Peart (drummer for Rush) said a year or so ago "it's all just very weird and rather unsettling to me" that some fans stalk rock stars to the point of trying to find out what hotel they're at, what time they go for a meal, what entrance/exit they might take - but moreover to his central point - that they should even want to. As he pointed out as a kid he also went to see his rock star hero's in concert but "it never ever occurred to me to try to get into their hotel room!" And I agree; depending on the celebrity I may well pay $ to see them perform in concert, on the sporting medium be it a field or a sheet of ice, or watch their movie in a theater.

I am not however going to turn my life upside down as I worship them from afar. Or up close for that matter. Nor am I remotely interested - in the slightest - in knowing anything at all about and dissecting their their personal lives or lifestyles, who they sleep with, what brand of makeup they wear or beer they drink, or following them on their Twitter account: that I really don't get...how many x-million Twitter followers does Charlie Sheen have? Kim Kardashian? Justin Trudeau? Really...you've got nothing better to do?.

At the end of the day for those with compulsive, obsessive interest in 'celebrity' the time and energy to waste is entirely theirs of course, and doesn't impact me as I'm entirely unaffected personally: as I said above I am merely fascinated with the psychology behind those people engrossed by so-called 'celebrity'. Even today the celebrity scandal-rags we see in all the grocery stores are seemingly as popular now as ever. I have to presume they remain wildly financially profitable otherwise they would have disappeared ages ago - ergo lots and lots of people must be buying them for reasons that entirely escape me. As above I often wonder who buys these things, and why. I simply find the cult of "celebrity" to be an interesting phenomenon is all......

It's a bit of escapism.  Married housewives like to read about Kim Kardashian, but they have no inention of leaving their husband and trying to get in Jon Bon Jovi's hotel room.

I have no problem with these folks.  They could probably try to be a bit more creative in their own lives, but if they can't, well, it's mostly harmless.

#59 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:20 AM

I do not understand the autograph thing.  I'm OK having my picture taken with a celeb.

I think I have one of you signing an autograph.

#60 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

I think I have one of you signing an autograph.

Or was that just one of those "Captain Obvious" imitators one sees everywhere?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users