Royal visit to Victoria, September 2016

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#161 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:11 PM

What did Helps do this time?

I must admit, she did look out of place yesterday. I didn't notice her flailing, though. We should send her a VV branded hair brush.

#162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

Helps and Trudeau's wife broke protocol, with helps bending at the knees, throwing her hands up and appearing to make a "I know, right!" kind of statement to Sophie T. The camera quickly panned away, but not before we saw Sophie also make some kind of a gesture towards Helps.

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 8.27.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 8.34.13 PM.png

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#163 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

Can't imagine two women who would have less in common than Lisa Helps and Sophie Gregoire.....

• Nparker and jonny like this

#164 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:38 PM

Helps was the recipient of $200,000 from the Foundation Trudeau to study homelessness. There's most certainly a relationship there, or at least ties of some kind.

"Not satisfied with the disjuncture between the so-called ivory tower and the rest of the world, Lisa Helps spends much of her time as a community activist committed to place-based solutions to global and national challenges, and increasing citizen engagement. She was Councilor for the City of Victoria and Executive Director of the Community Micro Lending Society (www.communitymicrolending.ca) in Victoria, British Columbia, and was elected Mayor of the city of Victoria on 15 November 2014. She also sits on the Program Committee of Leadership Victoria, a local organization that runs a multi-sector community leadership program. She was Chair of the Board of Directors of Fernwood NRG, a neighbourhood organization, when the Society purchased and restored a run down building in the heart of the neighbourhood, built affordable housing units, and opened the Cornerstone Café as an enterprising non-profit venture. She has also served as chair of the Bread and Roses Collective, which produces the monthly Victoria Street Newz.

Experience as a Trudeau Scholar

To me the Trudeau Scholarship has been about much more than the money scholars are allocated. The generous scholarship and in particular the research and travel allowance has enabled me to do in depth on the ground research in two different cities in two nations. Yet it is the people, the access to such fine minds, to such committed and dedicated social, political, and artistic actors that have mattered more. My experience of being a Trudeau scholar is that I have felt intellectually stimulated and deeply engaged. How?  Being a Trudeau scholar has provoked the realization that academic disciplines are an impoverished means of categorizing people and their work when that work is put in the service of communities beyond the academy.  The Foundation – and the members of the Trudeau community – have created a space where the disciplines we come from as Scholars and Fellows are secondary to the reason that we’ve all been gathered together in the first place: to ensure that ideas generated and disseminated within academia reach a wider audience for their full potential – as propellants of meaningful action – to be realized.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#165 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:56 PM

Great commercial for Victoria and B.C.
  • Nparker and jonny like this

#166 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:30 PM

The Foundation – and the members of the Trudeau community – have created a space where the disciplines we come from as Scholars and Fellows are secondary to the reason that we’ve all been gathered together in the first place: to ensure that ideas generated and disseminated within academia reach a wider audience for their full potential – as propellants of meaningful action – to be realized.

That's a scary quote. They sound evil

#167 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:32 AM

What did Helps do this time?

I must admit, she did look out of place yesterday. I didn't notice her flailing, though. We should send her a VV branded hair brush.

The Prince was polite and brief with Helps and then moved on. If you watch the film you will note that Kate initially walked past Helps and then had to wait for her husband to finish talking with the next person in the receiving line. At that points Helps engaged Kate and they had a polite exchange. No doubt that the Royals knew all about Helps' earlier slight.

#168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:54 AM

Hmm, I thought you're not supposed to engage a royal at such a formal event? You wait to be engaged.

Know it all.

#169 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:56 AM

I suppose if they don't want to engage you then it's up to you to make the first move, if you want to get their autograph. 

• VicHockeyFan and Midnightly like this

#170 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:20 AM

I just can't believe the audacity if making such a show of not pledging allegiance to the crown, and then parading yourself out there to meet the Duke and Duchess!!
  • sebberry and JennKa like this

#171 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:49 AM

Another good photo essay from CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2...2016/index.html

#172 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

I just can't believe the audacity if making such a show of not pledging allegiance to the crown, and then parading yourself out there to meet the Duke and Duchess!!

What about accepting a scholarship and then not completing your degree? I am sure that the Trudeau's would have rather seen the money spent on someone who was a little more committed.

• Midnightly likes this

#173 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:43 PM

Is it over already?

IMG_4932.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4937.jpg

IMG_4941.jpg

#174 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:05 PM

Is that one of ASE's cameras? :)

• AllseeingEye and todd like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#175 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:50 PM

Did they make it to Bella Bella?
Pieta VanDyke

#176 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:56 PM

Is that one of ASE's cameras? :)

It was being removed from the corner of Menzies and Belleville.

#177 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

What about accepting a scholarship and then not completing your degree? I am sure that the Trudeau's would have rather seen the money spent on someone who was a little more committed.

Well, to be fair, I think that sort of thing happens all the time. There are plenty of career academics who move from one scholarship or grant to the next.

Personally, I have a track record of finishing what I started. I call it integrity.

• Bingo likes this

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

Apparently a hedge caught fire across the street from Government House just moments ago. There is no risk to any structures.

Police are not saying whether it's suspicious at this time.

Know it all.

#179 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

This has got to be nerve wracking for the royals, given that they're leaving the kids tomorrow night.
Pieta VanDyke

#180 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

✪ ✪ 26 photos and 3 videos. From today's kid's party at Government House... via the UK's Daily Mail

Princess Charlotte and Prince George are guests of honour at party

http://www.dailymail...uppet-show.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users