Photo

Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3868 replies to this topic

#341 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:36 AM

The powers that be have made it socially unacceptable to refer to drug addiction in negative terms! 

Organized crime must be laughing at the sheer stupidity of the naive enablers!!!

• Nparker, jonny, Nostalgic Victoria and 1 other like this

#342 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

Yup that’s about it.
  • Nostalgic Victoria likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#343 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

The powers that be have made it socially unacceptable to refer to drug addiction in negative terms! ...

I understand the intent to de-stigmatize addiction (although another harmful product, tobacco, is treated the opposite way), but this is not being followed-up nearly enough with a message of recovery and sobriety.

• jonny and Midnightly like this

#344 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

The supervised injection site at Johnson Street Community is now open, apparently: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...treet-1.4448690

My question is who is liable if someone consumes drugs in this facility and then harms someone in the community. Seems like a major problem if they are facilitating drug use then turning those people loose on the streets. If a user of the facility with known mental health/criminal history went out and attacked someone, would the operators of the facility not be an accessory to that attack? Perhaps someone should be challenging these injections sites on the basis of condoning public endangerment.
  • Nparker, Nostalgic Victoria, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#345 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:33 PM

...If a user of the facility with known mental health/criminal history went out and attacked someone, would the operators of the facility not be an accessory to that attack?...

Like a bar that knowingly serves a person to the point of intoxication who then gets into their car and injures or kills someone.

#346 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

Like a bar that knowingly serves a person to the point of intoxication who then gets into their car and injures or kills someone.

Yep. Now I consider myself pretty progressive but when they talked on the radio the other day about opioid vending machines I realized we were passing the city limits of Crazy Town.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, jonny and 5 others like this

#347 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

Like a bar that knowingly serves a person to the point of intoxication who then gets into their car and injures or kills someone.

Difference is that bars are privately owned by evil business owners while the safe injection sites and “supportive housing” operations (like the one that housed the guy who killed that young Quebec man) are government funded. I have personally asked this question to them and they take zero responsibility for what happens OUTSIDE the facilities. So essentially they only care about the safety of the people INSIDE, even though it’s the people outside that pay for those facilities. I say everyone’s safety should be a concern... but the powers that be do not agree....
  • Nparker, Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

#348 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

People have died inside 844. At least 2.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#349 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

That, they care about... not those dying outside, due to people in those facilities...

#350 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:33 AM

So today’s TC has a decent article about drug deaths.

That looks at real data, 74 actual coroner reports from the Island.

And contrary to the professionals that say most of the deaths are everyday people like you and I... it turns out most are troubled individuals with drug histories. Most living in unconventional living situations.

It’s not doctors, lawyers and School teachers that are dying. It’s mostly pretty hardcore users.
  • Nparker, Nostalgic Victoria, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#351 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

I always wondered why, if most of the OD deaths happened to « every day people » in conventional housing, all the drug consumption support was provided to people around/in homeless shelters. I guess the decision makers always knew... they just didn’t think we should be told the truth.
  • Nparker and jonny like this

#352 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

I always wondered why, if most of the OD deaths happened to « every day people » in conventional housing, all the drug consumption support was provided to people around/in homeless shelters. I guess the decision makers always knew... they just didn’t think we should be told the truth.

If you consider it strictly a health issue, why are they not placed at hospitals?  Oh ya, then the "general public" would see it.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#353 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:45 AM

And contrary to the professionals that say most of the deaths are everyday people like you and I... it turns out most are troubled individuals with drug histories. Most living in unconventional living situations.

It’s not doctors, lawyers and School teachers that are dying. It’s mostly pretty hardcore users.

The Vancouver Province article about the 74 OD cases seems to claim the opposite.....

For example:
« Fifty-five of the 74 deaths we reviewed involved victims being found and tended to by family or close friends — wives, husbands, parents, siblings, partners and roommates. »

http://theprovince.c...d8-6d7df2abd3db

#354 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

Unconventional living situations is adults living with parents, adults living with roommates, adults living with siblings, adults living in grpiup homes, adults living in shelters etc. The story is full of them.

Doctors, lawyers, School teachers and otherwise gainfully employed people usually live more conventionally.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 31 December 2017 - 09:56 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#355 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

According to the coroner’s reports, the majority of those who died from overdoses died at home — which is consistent with the monthly statistics released from the coroners service.

The reports have information you won’t find in those statistical reports, however — such as the victims’ drug history.

For example, at least a third of the 74 people whose coroner’s reports we reviewed were in a treatment program, had recently completed one or were trying to get into one. About 20 had some form of opioid-replacement therapy drug in their system when they died, including methadone, suboxone or hydromorphone.

#356 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

I think that we all knew that, the poverty industry wanted to try and raise more money by implying that this was the type of event that could happen to anyone.

• VicHockeyFan, Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#357 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

This last person said it VERY well.

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2017-12-31-15-54-12-172.png

• Nparker, sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#358 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

This last person said it VERY well.

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2017-12-31-15-54-12-172.png

Forgot the free coffee and doughnuts at the injection sites, the free housing and food for drug addicts in supportive housing and the endless empathy that demands that no one should ever make you feel bad for injecting that stuff in your veins over and over again, a special justice system that discounts your crime because you are a drug addict....I’m sure I left some out too....
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Nostalgic Victoria and 3 others like this

#359 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:46 AM

Cassidy, on 07 Jan 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

...The next time you're anywhere near 844 {Johnson Street], take a look up into the many East facing windows ... and tell me that the destruction and general weirdness you see in those windows looks like it's "helping" anybody...

This isn't too surprising when the powers that be have decided the best way to deal with mental illness is to warehouse individuals and then let them self-medicate. It's the worst parts of the asylums of old with zero health benefits for the people most affected.

• VicHockeyFan, sebberry, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#360 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

"Oh know, my child might see a homeless person, oh no, my child might see someone with a mental illness. I think that's good. I think that's ok." - Mayor Lisa Helps, 2015, referring to concerns of parents when she said a tent city at Topaz Park was a "done deal."

I think this is an important quote to keep in mind.

• Nparker, Love the rock, Midnightly and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users