Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:39 PM

2 incidents in as many days.  :mad:

needle.JPG

#362 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

The earlier incident occurred in the Pandora McDonald's washroom.

From VicPD:

Victoria BC - Officers are warning the public after a person was pricked by a needle last night.

At approximately 7:30 p.m. last night, a woman was walking a dog in the 700-block of Pembroke Street when she noticed the dog started to grab a paper bag that was next to a garbage can. The woman swiped the bag away from the dog and felt a prick on her hand. Upon closer inspection, the woman noticed several capped and uncapped syringes inside the paper bag.

There is no indication that the bag was placed there with malicious intent and it is believed that the bag was improperly disposed of. The VicPD officer, through his own experience, was able to reassure the woman, who was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#363 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

And the public doesn't seem to be siding much with the desperate folks...

drug.JPG

#364 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

...There is no indication that the bag was placed there with malicious intent and it is believed that the bag was improperly disposed of...

Intent is meaningless to the people being affected. Is anyone (outside of Victoria city council) surprised that illicit drug users aren't particularly capable of disposing of their paraphernalia in a responsible manner?

• jonny, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

A lady called into CFAX and said drug users leave needles behind because they are high, and as such are not responsible for the needle being left uncapped. She also said a drunk guy dropping a bottle of beer on the ground is not responsible for it because he is drunk.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#366 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

How well was Lisa able to disguise her voice?

• GaryRanson, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#367 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

Just wait until someone's kid gets AIDs from this. Maybe then the general public will wake up

#368 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

A CoV worker contracted HIV from a needle prick, according to a member of the media I was talking to yesterday.

Know it all.

#369 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

We don't prosecute or persecute the salad bar worker that gave you Hep B. So a lot of this is needle-phobia. 

But I doubt that story saying users are too wacked out to cap and properly dispose of their needles. They discard them carelessly because they have no incentive to act responsibly.

• David Bratzer and Midnightly like this

#370 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

A CoV worker contracted HIV from a needle prick...

At least that's the story they want to admit to publicly. Might want to check their Craigslist history for alternate scenarios.

#371 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

We don't prosecute or persecute the salad bar worker that gave you Hep B. So a lot of this is needle-phobia...

No, but we do allow public shaming of tobacco users for the effects of second-hand smoke.

• Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#372 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

The coroner is at the Douglas and View McDonald’s. Police are also there. A body was reportedly discovered in the washroom.

But the restaurant is still open and serving customers.

Know it all.

#373 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

They discard them carelessly because they have no incentive to act responsibly.

Or no fear of repercussions if they act irresponsibly.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#374 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

The coroner is at the Douglas and View McDonald’s. Police are also there. A body was reportedly discovered in the washroom...

It's not like people don't know that eating at McDonald's will kill you.

• VicHockeyFan and Daveyboy like this

#375 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:48 AM

I have a question.

Maybe this has been asked or discussed before or somewhere else but something's been bothering me.

When the child came into contact with the needle some days ago, I heard on the radio news that the police were looking for assistance and information from the public....I assume in order to help identify the person(s) that discarded the needle. The news channel reported that the "incident" took place at a business in the 900 block of Pandora Street but did not identify the name of the business at that time. (we now know that it was at McDonalds) 

How the hell can you ask for help with information if you are holding back one of the most important pieces of information that would help in the investigation? I am missing a piece of the puzzle clearly. Anyone know?

#376 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

I guess someone familiar with the incident and able to assist would have the information police need without them divulging pertinent details publicly.

The question now facing police is whether the needle was placed purposefully to harm or the child accidentally happened upon it. We have yet to hear whether that’s the case, but they did confirm it was an accident with the paper bag incident.

Know it all.

#377 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

I was down by the new bridge the other day and there was a worker picking up discarded needles underneath the eastern approach. The area has fence around it due to the construction so access is not that easy.

#378 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:05 PM

I love the how the response is so callously politicized. If your child were pricked by a discarded needle, would you prefer to hear some compassion about what happened to your child or a lecture about how the provincial govt needs to do more.

Also heard the genius argument that legalization and destigmatization would help. Well, apparently that didn't work with plastic bags.

#379 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

...Also heard the genius argument that legalization and destigmatization would help...

I am not sure how this would change the behaviour of people who are too strung out to know if they are responsibly disposing of their needles. Consuming alcohol is legal and has little stigma, but people still get drunk and do stupid things.

• VicHockeyFan and Midnightly like this

#380 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

we have taken alot of the stigma off drug use, there is more stigma attached to cigarette smoking then shooting up now a days, and to be honest i dont know if this is a good thing.. drug use has come out of the shadows and it's everywhere, it's openly used on the streets instead of in the shadows and i do have to wonder if because it's so open and out of the shadows and the stigma has been somewhat lifted (and safe places to shoot up) because of this drugs are now more accessible and with it being more accessible people have more easy access to the drugs is only making it worse.. if a complete novice new to town wanted to buy drugs it would take them minutes to find a dealer.. where when it was in the shadows, less accepted it may have taken significantly longer and harder to find the drugs, along with having to stay in the shadows while using

now the reasons people use can vary significantly so that may come into the equation but i do wonder if removing much of the sigma is a help or hindrance..

i'm sure the stigma behind smoking has pushed many to quit

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users