PROPOSED
Nigel Valley, C1
Use: rental
Address: Vernon Avenue at Lochside Regional Trail
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 16
The tallest structure of BC Housing's Nigel Valley Development in Saanich could rise to 16-storeys and will co... (view full profile)
Learn more about Nigel Valley, C1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Nigel Valley Development | Up to 16-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#61 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:24 AM

Karen Harper's FB implies it was approved.

I find the concept of 'market priced' housing confusing. If the people who rent the market priced units are subsidizing the low income and low barrier facilities then are they not by definition then paying a premium to market?!

Unfortunately developments off this scale, although well intentioned, usually turn out to be ghettos. 

#62 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

I find the concept of 'market priced' housing confusing. If the people who rent the market priced units are subsidizing the low income and low barrier facilities then are they not by definition then paying a premium to market?!

Unfortunately developments off this scale, although well intentioned, usually turn out to be ghettos. 

I almost dated a girl in this ghetto but I held out for the pretty blonde in the heritage house and am happy to report I locked her down early.

#63 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:22 AM

"Market" just means that there's no controls on the price, i.e. the market dictates what the units will cost to rent or purchase. Non-market housing will have some sort of control, such as a Housing Agreement or sale to a non-profit for the management of the units.

#64 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:49 PM

Camp Namegans has taken credit for this project happen on their Facebook page. Saying tent cities have made a difference... yeah like a project that started years before the first tent city was affected by them.
  • spanky123 likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#65 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:56 PM

"Market" just means that there's no controls on the price, i.e. the market dictates what the units will cost to rent or purchase. Non-market housing will have some sort of control, such as a Housing Agreement or sale to a non-profit for the management of the units.

Thanks for the clarification. 

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:26 PM

Camp Namegans has taken credit for this project happening on their Facebook page. Saying tent cities have made a difference...

WTF? I am beginning to think Ashley and Chrissy have more significant mental challenges than those for whom they claim to be advocating.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#67 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:38 PM

I wonder how long before Saanich Plaza gets redeveloped. It'll seem like a weird gaping hole between Nigel and Uptown, especially if the Uptown Tower ever gets built.

• zoomer, AllseeingEye and grantpalin like this

#68 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:25 PM

I've read and re-read the TC story a few times now; it refers to this development forming the basis of a 'second core' for Saanich. Combing the deep recesses of my brain here - what is the "first" core? Quadra/McKenzie? Shelbourne/McKenzie? Shelbourne/Cedar Hill X Rd? Or.....?

• aastra likes this

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:35 PM

Isn't the "core" the municipal hall/uptown area, which Nigel Valley belongs to?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

I just read it again. They're basically saying the Uptown area is Saanich's core and that it will become a second downtown for Victoria.

Uptown is in a core (central) location, and it's a commercial core, for sure. But the population is still pretty thin around there, so it has a long way to go in that aspect.

I don't see it becoming a second downtown so much as an extension of downtown. To me this is so obvious and inevitable. The question isn't whether the entire Douglas Street strip will become part of the greater downtown area. The questions are how it will end up looking, how much residential development there will be, etc.

Edited by aastra, 19 September 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#71 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

Isn't the "core" the municipal hall/uptown area, which Nigel Valley belongs to?

The core of Saanich is not one distinct location but is the vein that carries the life and vitality of the municipality and that vein is McKenzie Ave.

Edited by Bingo, 19 September 2018 - 08:58 PM.

#72 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:18 AM

^what other areas of Saanich has plans for buildings up to 16 stories in height?  I would argue Lyra is also very close and pretty much at the far limit of Uptown.  Uptown is by far the Saanich core IMO.

McKenzie is what from one end to the other?  Lyra's mid rises, McKenzie/Quadra "village" and then McKenzie/Shelbourne which is mainly the mall

#73 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:08 AM

I wonder how long before Saanich Plaza gets redeveloped. It'll seem like a weird gaping hole between Nigel and Uptown, especially if the Uptown Tower ever gets built.

I think it will eventually be redeveloped, but it is currently very busy and most of the commercial and retail space is leased (unlike Uptown). Let's face it, the tenants of Nigel Valley are not going to be eating out at Brown's, buying groceries from Whole Foods, or sipping $6 lattes from Starbucks. The retail mix at Saanich Plaza has been doing well for a reason and that is that it is easy to access and serves the needs of the demographics near by.

#74 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

wowwwww

With Saanich council’s approval, the project has cleared its largest hurdle. There remain housekeeping matters, mainly involving a covenant, before the deal is sealed.

Over the five to seven years of construction, each agency will have to come before council to request a development permit for their building, which will allow for more community involvement.

The city’s planning department has been given direction from council to expedite the project.

Architect Franc D’Ambrosio and Malcolm McNaughton, B.C. Housing’s director of regional development for Vancouver Island, presented the plans to Saanich council, noting it will triple the number of housing units, replace some aging buildings, introduce park space and calm traffic along Vernon Avenue.

The number of housing units is expected to grow from today’s 186 to nearly 800.

https://www.timescol...gion-1.23435357

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

The number of housing units is expected to grow from today’s 186 to nearly 800.

Once the anti-height crowd whittles the project down to a maximum of 10 floors (and probably even fewer), I expect those 800 units to plummet.

#76 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:32 AM

Can't whittle down though. Project is approved as presented now, so zoning would be in place as well.

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:39 AM

...Project is approved as presented now, so zoning would be in place as well.

But is the zoning in place?

#78 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:50 AM

But is the zoning in place?

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: Council gave third reading to the Rezoning Bylaw and approved the Development Permit. Adoption of the Rezoning Bylaw and ratification of the DP will be withheld until the Housing Agreement has been registered and the Land Use Contract has been discharged from Title. This is a typical formality, and as the Public Hearing process has concluded, no additional public comment will be allowed when the bylaw comes up for final adoption (from my understanding at least).

• Nparker likes this

#79 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:50 AM

But after completion of the above "formalities" zoning will be in place?

#80 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:17 AM

But after completion of the above "formalities" zoning will be in place?

Correct. Zoning and DP for the masterplan will be in place, but I believe that each phase will require its own DP

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users