Photo

Chuck's Burger Bar | Sidney: 2031 Malaview Ave. | Victoria: lower Yates Street

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#141 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:49 AM

The article in the Capital said this about another local Victoria restaurant. Why is the attention focused only on Chuck's.

After moving to Victoria, Shelby took a yearlong hiatus from the industry and then started working at 10 Acres Restaurant Group in 2019. 

She describes a toxic workplace culture in which female front-of-house staff regularly had to contend with customers who made lewd comments and even sometimes touched or grabbed them—with what she says was the tacit approval of their supervisors. 

“Managers were on the floor, managers were listening to this, managers were seeing this very clearly,” she says, “and there was never any attempt to help us out of that situation or to address the situation afterwards. It would always kind of be like, ‘Oh well their bill is $300, so just brush it off and go to your next table.’ I think that’s one of the main issues with the industry: if you’re bringing in money and spending money, a lot of the time managers and owners would just look the other way."

We're only going to hear more stories like this coming out of the industry.  

Not only is it upsetting that owners/management allow this type of behaviour to happen, but that customers think it's ok to act this way.  It's ridiculous. 

• Teardrop likes this

#142 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:03 PM

Today's T-C:

Chuck's Burger Bar goes dark after sexual-assault allegations

The downtown bar associated with a former bar worker at the centre of numerous sexual-assault allegations has closed, according to the owner of the building.

Aaron Usatch, who owns the property at 538 Yates St. where Chuck’s Burger Bar is located, said the restaurant closed after the allegations came to light.

Article: https://www.timescol...ions-1.24284586

I think they might change the name of the restaurant, but the name on the books will still be Chuck's Burger Bar.  Otherwise they cannot get all the government subsidies and grants.  A new restaurant can't apply for these programs. 

• Rob Randall likes this

#143 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:11 PM

Buck's Burger Char.

• Mike K., Lorenzo, GaryRanson and 1 other like this

#144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:50 AM

I guess it also depends if Chuck’s is only Doing Bussinees As (DBA) as such.

A major client of mine (big firm) DBAs as A Big Real-Estate Firm, but cheques are cut under FUBAR Industries. No joke.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#145 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:20 AM

Coming Soon! 28755100-540 B.C. Ltd.

#146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:25 AM

That’s often how it works.

“The Harbour Diner” is the registered owner of the domain name, for example. Registered in 2010.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#147 Darren14

Darren14
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:13 PM

"Dear patrons, friends and family,

It is with great sadness that we announce the closing of Chuck's Burger Bar. Thank you to everyone who has supported us over the past couple of years. New tenants have taken over the location. We wish the new owners every success in their venture.

It has been a privilege being part of the Greater Victoria business community. As a continued commitment to our city,  we will be making a donation to the Pacific Centre Family Services Association, an organization which does amazing work helping those affected by sexual violence. We are determined to bring positive and lasting changes for the betterment of our community."

https://www.instagra.../p/CL47vLJDgzp/

• Matt R. likes this

#148 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:08 PM

far be it for me to be suspicious.

but short of an interview with the previous ownership and/or the landlord i'm somewhat skeptical of a "new ownership" regime here.

it's a large part of my daily duties to look at every single business listing in victoria every day and this has never been listed for sale on the MLS system.  that's not to say a private sale has not happened - they take place all the time.

but the single post on instagram does not begin to explain what has happened here.  we will see.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 March 2021 - 04:24 PM.

#149 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:07 PM

^ Didn't the landlord just say in the media that it's still leased to the Chuck's owners?

#150 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:09 PM

He did?

Know it all.

#151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:10 PM

Oh I see. He said it closed.

Aaron Usatch, who owns the property at 538 Yates St. where Chuck’s Burger Bar is located, said the restaurant closed after the allegations came to light.

Know it all.

#152 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:12 PM

^ Didn't the landlord just say in the media that it's still leased to the Chuck's owners?

he said about a week ago there had been no ownership changes.  other than it being closed right now.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 March 2021 - 05:12 PM.

#153 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:56 PM

What the landlord probably means is they haven’t found anyone to put their name on a lease so the chucks guys are still on the hook for the lease and are responsible for finding a new operator. Tough job in these circumstances. If the owner is savy they will find someone with a concept to run and while sit back and let them pay the rent until end of term, dodging a very expensive liability. Won’t be much profit at the end but at lease the bleeding stops. If he’s not savy, he defaults on rent and gets sued.

Edited by Klapecki, 01 March 2021 - 05:57 PM.

#154 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:20 PM

From our Facebook page:

🔹Former location of Chuck’s Burger Bar to be revived as new eatery by operator involved with Noodle Box chain🔹

The recently shuttered Chuck’s Burger Bar on lower Yates Street will reopen this spring at the hands of an operator involved with the Noodle Box chain of Asian eateries, according to sources familiar with the plans.

Chuck’s closed in February after allegations of sexual assault surfaced associated with an employee who worked as a bartender.

The restaurant closed immediately after Victoria Police identified multiple individuals had come forward with allegations of sexual assault, and that an investigation was underway.

Chuck’s opened in downtown Victoria two-years-ago after arriving on the #yyj food scene in 2016 as a burger restaurant in Sidney, which then expanded with a second location on Yates Street. The Sidney location closed shortly thereafter. The operator had previously run a Chuck’s Burger Bar in Hamilton, Ontario which closed in 2014 but re-emerge on the Saanich Peninsula two years later.

The retail space’s new operation, including its name and genre of food, has not yet been formally announced.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#155 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:27 PM

who wants to give me odds on it being Chiavaroli Grill or Jesse's Burger Bar?   :teacher: 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2021 - 05:28 PM.

• jjmac likes this

#156 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:23 PM

New restaurant explains their links to Chuck’s Burger Bar after facing criticism online

May 4, 2021

From the outside, Lumberjack’s Bar & Grill is just a new watering hole in Victoria.

Online though, the newly opened restaurant is taking heat.

The owners of Lumberjacks are Abhishek (Sam) Sharma and Jasleen Kaur, a couple who say they came to Canada in 2015 to build a new life.

Now they say they’re facing online racialized hate, with a recent email saying “You guys suck, go back to your country.”

chucks.png

#157 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:31 PM

The owners of Lumberjacks are Abhishek (Sam) Sharma and Jasleen Kaur, a couple who say they came to Canada in 2015 to build a new life.

Now they say they’re facing online racialized hate, with a recent email saying “You guys suck, go back to your country.”

They’re too afraid to show their faces on tv, but explained their connection to Chuck’s to CHEK News regardless, saying in the fall of 2020 they came on as partial investors when the restaurant wasn’t doing well financially.

But with a good location close to Wharf Street, the couple took a chance and bought partial shares.

“It was a new thing for me, the bar industry, so I was still in the training,” said Sharma.

Sharma says in the three months between the fall when they bought shares and January when the sexual assault allegations first surfaced, he was being trained as the operational manager.

Although Sharma admits to working with the person accused of sexual assault, he says he never saw any bad behaviour.

“I have only closed two or four times, to be honest. I left before he completed the restaurant shutting down,” said Sharma.

“We had to make a decision, so we gave them an option: you buy us out, or we buy you out,” said Sharma. “There is no way we are going forward as anything Chuck’s.”

The couple decided to protect their investment and bought the restaurant, and say they’re resolute to not let something like this happen again.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 May 2021 - 06:31 PM.

#158 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:46 PM

i'm glad Chek did a news report/follow up on this place.. maybe with luck they will be able to have a possible chance at it and turn the place around.. able to employ local staff in a healthy environment and have a good place for people to go for a meal.. i wish them the best

#159 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:15 PM

Horrible what they’ve faced online

#160 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:45 AM

two people from Asia with zero bar or restaurant experience. yet they have bought into a bar. sounds a bit like an immigration scheme.

wish them luck but it’s probably not a business for the inexperienced.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users