Photo

Chuck's Burger Bar | Sidney: 2031 Malaview Ave. | Victoria: lower Yates Street

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#101 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:54 PM

Changes won’t be laid unless the crown is confident of convictions, and that won’t happen until the investigation is completed. With the large victim pool, it will take the police (overworked as they are) a while to process everything. Another month I think before we hear anything.
  • spanky123 likes this

#102 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,039 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:56 PM

a month? it might be a year. but they still might want to arrest him sooner so they can get him under supervision.

#103 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:58 PM

Arrest to detain would only happen if caught in the act or they were certain he would offend again.

#104 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,039 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:03 PM

Arrest to detain would only happen if caught in the act or they were certain he would offend again.

that’s not accurate. if they have reasonable grounds to believe you committed an indictable offence they can and will arrest you when they choose.

#105 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:06 PM

^They would arrest you and release you on ROR.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#106 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:15 PM

I believe it’s evidence of an indictable offence, not belief.

that’s not accurate. if they have reasonable grounds to believe you committed an indictable offence they can and will arrest you when they choose.

#107 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,039 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:17 PM

I don’t think so. but if so evidence would be the witness statements they have already collected.

^ ^ yes probably. but you will leave with a court appearance date and conditions so you are now under court supervision.

#108 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:22 PM

Statements are tough to go by in a she said/he said. They are probably after independent corroboration. My experience is the police can recommend charges but it’s up to crown to process with charges and they will only do that if there is high likely hood of conviction.

Edited by Klapecki, 07 February 2021 - 09:23 PM.

#109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,039 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:47 PM

there is some flight risk here. he rents an apartment and has no family here and now no job here. one might want to arrest him now and keep him in this area or at least in the country.
  • qv likes this

#110 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 10:07 PM

Personally I would like to have a far better insight into the details of both the allegations and the provable facts. One would have to deal with the reality that providing women with alcohol in bar is a pretty common practice. Usually it is a patron buying drinks for a lady and I wonder to what degree it is any different when it is the bartender? Does a bartender have any fiduciary duty to his patrons? 

At what point does impairment by drugs or alcohol prevent being able to give meaningful consent. (If he is equally impaired then has the woman also committed sexual assault). Simply being what used to be called a rake is not a crime. The real issue turns on consent. What is the determining line for consent and impairment. Should it be set at the same level as for driving a vehicle?  Has everyone person committed a sexual assault if one of the parties has had more than two drinks? 

Frankly I dont have simple answers for what are some difficult questions which I am sure the crown is struggling with at this time. I am also sure that a number of people while equally assume so black and white answers exist. 

Personally this was never a problem that I had to face since I was a very light drinker and simply could not tolerate the company of a woman that got her head stuck in a bottle. 

#111 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:09 AM

Personally I would like to have a far better insight into the details of both the allegations and the provable facts. One would have to deal with the reality that providing women with alcohol in bar is a pretty common practice. Usually it is a patron buying drinks for a lady and I wonder to what degree it is any different when it is the bartender? Does a bartender have any fiduciary duty to his patrons?

At what point does impairment by drugs or alcohol prevent being able to give meaningful consent. (If he is equally impaired then has the woman also committed sexual assault). Simply being what used to be called a rake is not a crime. The real issue turns on consent. What is the determining line for consent and impairment. Should it be set at the same level as for driving a vehicle? Has everyone person committed a sexual assault if one of the parties has had more than two drinks?

Frankly I dont have simple answers for what are some difficult questions which I am sure the crown is struggling with at this time. I am also sure that a number of people while equally assume so black and white answers exist.

Personally this was never a problem that I had to face since I was a very light drinker and simply could not tolerate the company of a woman that got her head stuck in a bottle.

Some of the accounts have disturbing details which indicate the women were aware of what was happening and tried to stop it. Others involve violence that is unlikely within the scope of even ambiguous consent.

#112 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:11 AM

there is some flight risk here. he rents an apartment and has no family here and now no job here. one might want to arrest him now and keep him in this area or at least in the country.

I was thinking the same thing. This guy apparently evaded trouble once when he came here. He'll surely be tempted to consider that move again. Although it sure would make him look guilty.

#113 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 07:18 AM

Chronic over service is difficult to pull off in the business because every server has taken the "Serving It Right" course and is aware of the dire consequences of serving too much alcohol. Other servers keep an eye out because even if it's not your customer you don't want inspectors discovering someone being overserved and have the restaurant shut down and you lose your income for the week. 

But if a bartender is the de-facto manager then all bets are off. Staff leadership could allow a certain lenience towards alcohol service, especially in Covid times when there is pressure to increase the cheque average to compensate for fewer diners. 

Technically, it should be impossible to get someone falling-down drunk in a restaurant. 

• Mike K. and sukika like this

#114 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 03:04 PM

Most of the accounts mention blacking out as well, and there is a very obvious difference between being buzzed from a couple of beers and drunk to the point of blacking out.  

#115 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:30 PM

Most of the accounts mention blacking out as well, and there is a very obvious difference between being buzzed from a couple of beers and drunk to the point of blacking out.  

Do we know if date rape drugs were used . 

#116 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 09:26 PM

‘There’s so much stigma:’ Greater Victoria’s sexual violence allegations find safe space on social media

Allegations lodged at former tattoo artist, restaurant worker

Feb. 12, 2021

A string of sexual harassment and assault allegations lodged at a former employee of a downtown Victoria restaurant are a sign of ongoing stigma around reporting sexualized violence, according to experts.

“First of all, somebody has been violated in an incredibly deep and personal way,” said Carissa Ropponen of the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre. “To come forward and to speak about something that impacts a person so deeply on that level can be really challenging.

“And there’s so much stigma in our society, there’s the questions, ‘Why were you drinking? What were you wearing?’”

Social media pages dedicated to sharing allegations of sexualized violence can be a safe place for survivors, said Janni Aragon, gender studies and political science professor at the University of Victoria. 

More: https://www.vicnews....n-social-media/

#117 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 05:42 PM

CHEK reports that signage is down at Chucks.

https://www.cheknews...ger-bar-744790/

Matt.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#118 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:17 PM

CHEK reports that signage is down at Chucks.

https://www.cheknews...ger-bar-744790/

Matt.

Apparently work going on inside, too. And they've posted a couple jobs today, including assistant manager.

Rebranding?
  • Mike K., Matt R. and Darren14 like this

#119 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,039 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 04:11 AM

new brand makes sense.

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:12 AM

Can you link to the job posting?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users