194 replies to this topic

#61 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,998 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:02 AM

cap daily:

JR Slims issued a statement on Wednesday after days of online pressure
The bartender's 2nd workplace announced that it employed him for a short time and had not identified any allegations from its staff or patrons. One person replied that she had told management about overserving and inappropriate advances by the man last month, and several others claimed that the JR Slims owner is good friends with him.

A protest was held outside both restaurants on Tuesday night, with some signs calling for the arrest of the bartender and the Burger Bar's closure.

Monkey Tree Pub Saanich said on Tuesday that the man worked there part time from March 2019 to March 2020 and that it was not aware of any allegations tied to its patrons or staff. 

Multiple accusations against the man have now emerged from St. Catharines and Hamilton
One woman posted that he sexually and physically assaulted her after work in 2017, but she was unable to serve him with a lawsuit because he left town.

#62 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:20 AM

VicPD investigate after reports of sexual assault against former bar worker shared online

https://www.timescol...line-1.24277216

#63 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 11:09 PM

Chuck’s Burger Bar: VicPD says sexual assault investigation extends to Ontario

February 4, 2021

It was a typical girls’ night out three weeks ago when two friends headed out to a favourite watering hole, Chuck’s Burger Bar.

As the night went on, however, things turned grim.

Video: https://www.cheknews...ontario-741315/

chuck.png

#64 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 11:50 PM

Investigation into alleged sexual assaults by restaurant worker is interprovincial, police say

Danyelle Markland filed a personal injury lawsuit in 2017 against the man Chuck’s Burger Bar recently fired amid a flurry of online accusations. Markland says she worked with the man in Hamilton, Ont. She says he slapped her so hard on her backside that she ended up in the hospital.

“When I went and filled out my incident report, they had it labelled as a sexual assault,” Markland said.

She says her lawyer couldn’t track the man down and he was never served. Markland spent days in pain from the injury that she says he inflicted.

"I ended up being on antibiotics,” said Markland. “Using a portable IV for seven days, which I wore attached to my hip."

After seeing media reports from four provinces away, she posted about her experience on her social media account. That started the conversation in Ontario.

"My inbox has been flooded, absolutely flooded,” said Markland. “I'm going to say I've received just a little bit over 120 messages."

She says 50 to 60 per cent of those messages are stories from women, sharing similar experiences to those shared here in Victoria.

"Girls are sharing their stories with me, sharing pictures of their bruises,” said Markland. “Just sharing that they have actually made a police report and a couple of girls just recently made a police report yesterday."

Back in Ontario, Markland has a message for those who have not yet spoken to police.

"We need everyone to speak out, so that he can not have the opportunity to do this to any more people," said Markland.

#65 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:33 AM

In the Hamilton paper. Note his actual name...

Former Hamilton nightclub owner facing sexual assault investigation

By Susan Clairmont Spectator Columnist

Feb. 5, 2021

A former Hamilton nightclub owner is under investigation by police in British Columbia after more than a dozen women posted allegations of sexual assault on social media.

The Victoria Police Department is investigating Jesse Chiavaroli — who also goes by Jesse Chaves — for “sexualized violence.”

Chiavaroli once owned nightclubs in Hamilton, including Baroque, Ora, Heist and Trust. Before that he owned Cache, a bar in St. Catharines.

The Spectator has spoken with a Hamilton woman who also alleges Chiavaroli sexually assaulted her.

#66 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:36 AM

Photo from above article:

jesse_chiavaroli.png

#67 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:40 AM

^That photo is from 2012.

#68 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:44 AM

Chiavaroli once owned nightclubs in Hamilton, including Baroque, Ora, Heist and Trust. Before that he owned Cache, a bar in St. Catharines.

Victoria police have not publicly identified Chiavaroli, but The Spectator has verified he is the subject of what police describe as an “active and ongoing” investigation by the department’s special victims unit.

A team of investigators is sifting through “numerous” calls from Victoria — and Hamilton, says Det. Sgt. Jan Malinosky. “We’re overwhelmed right now.”

She says the complaints range from sexual harassment to sexual assault.

Chiavaroli, who is in his 40s, has been bartending at Victoria’s Chuck’s Burger Bar — which has its roots on Locke Street in Hamilton.

When the restaurant closed shop here in 2015, owner Chris Preston moved his operation to Victoria.

The Spec has tried — over several days — to call Chuck’s Burger Bar, however, there is no answer.

https://www.thespec....RL-OYfNnbOuePL4

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 February 2021 - 09:44 AM.

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:48 AM

Actually, the operation moved to Sidney. For those who may not know Chuck’s opened near the airport first, then a second location opened downtown. When the first location was put up for sale the listing came before staff were informed of the pending sale/closure, according to social media banter at the time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:49 AM

Right, so Chris Preston and Chiavaroli must have had a long history, being that both men owned establishments in Hamilton, in fact, it appears Chiavaroli was the more experienced.

#71 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:08 AM

Kaye said she knew the former employee only a little, but he sometimes gave her and her friends free drinks. On a night out to Chuck’s Burger Bar with a friend a couple of weeks ago, she said the man, who was working at the time, was feeding her and her friend tequila shots. After the bar closed at 10 p.m., the two young women were alone with the man, Kaye said.

“And then, as far as I know, I woke up in the apartment,” she said.

The next thing she remembers is being in a shower in the apartment, where she slipped and hit her head. She said a different man held her down and raped her. She said she blacked out and then woke up with both men on top of her.

“I had continuously said stop, and they weren’t stopping.”

She went to the hospital the next morning and had a concussion diagnosed.

Sequoia Fraser said her story was the first on the Instagram page and it sparked others to come forward. She said she met the man briefly in April at a friend’s house, but she got sick and went to bed early.

“I woke up with him beside me and him touching me. I instantly started pushing him off me. He started trying to force himself on me,” she said.

Fraser said she didn’t think about telling her story, but when she started to hear women warning others to avoid the man, she wanted to speak up.

“I’m not scared anymore,” she said.

Another woman, who did not want to be identified, said she ended up in the man’s apartment after a night at Chuck’s Burger Bar about three weeks ago, but she doesn’t remember how she got there or what happened in the apartment.

She said she pressed the man the next day on what happened, and he said they had had sex and she was coherent.

“I don’t see how I could be coherent if I don’t remember a single thing for three hours,” she said.

not victim-blaming at all here but i've now read 14 or 15 accounts.  in every single one the victims say they "ended up" at his place and were "fed drinks" by him.  most drank and/or had drugs with him to the point of black-out.  some of them should have been more careful for sure.  i thought young people knew to employ a "buddy system" where you look out for one another.  almost every account indicates that two or more friends over-drank and "ended up" at his place.

https://www.timescol...rman-1.24278619

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 February 2021 - 08:11 AM.

#72 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:02 AM

Men that do these things that are alleged are professional predators. Think of them as professionals like pickpockets. They are very smart and very good at what they do. That's why they can do this for years in multiple cities while some creep in Beacon Hill Park flashes someone and gets arrested in five minutes. It's a technique that's developed, tested and honed over years.

I have to choose my words carefully here. I imagine a fellow like this is very charismatic. He uses charm and his position of authority and power as bartender. We all know top bartenders; they are natural showmen. Alcohol weakens decision-making and lowers inhibitions. It sounds like they were drugged as well. Over a period of time the predator slowly takes away the victim's ability to evaluate, negotiate and escape the seduction process.

• pontcanna, Redd42, Brayvehart and 1 other like this

#73 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:14 AM

Men that do these things that are alleged are professional predators. Think of them as professionals like pickpockets. They are very smart and very good at what they do. That's why they can do this for years in multiple cities while some creep in Beacon Hill Park flashes someone and gets arrested in five minutes. It's a technique that's developed, tested and honed over years.

I have to choose my words carefully here. I imagine a fellow like this is very charismatic. He uses charm and his position of authority and power as bartender. We all know top bartenders; they are natural showmen. Alcohol weakens decision-making and lowers inhibitions. It sounds like they were drugged as well. Over a period of time the predator slowly takes away the victim's ability to evaluate, negotiate and escape the seduction process.

agree 1000%.

and i think he is likely both charismatic behind the bar but also in gaining employment - so with males too (that do most of the hiring).  sounds like he also worked at el furniture.  so maybe he's very driven to work and prey.  psycho.  one of the accounts is from a former regular girlfriend who it seems never met him at the bar but at a gym.  now she was half his age (~ 40 and 20) but it never turned sour until she tried to call it off.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 February 2021 - 09:17 AM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:21 AM

A burger bar named Chuck’s, with local origins next to airport hangers, and rather ho hum reviews is an odd place for so many young women in their bar hopping days to wind up. Was it the giant bovine in the logo that drew the crowds? Was is the aroma of cooked beef?

And you don’t have to be charming or charismatic when you’re luring people in with free things that they’d have to pay for one door over. You can be pretty goofy and creepy, so you use free stuff to make up for it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:27 AM

Goofy and creepy, that's amateur stuff.

Watch that pickpocket video starting at 0:58 where he talks about giving the victim the illusion of being in control. Whether someone is stealing a watch, selling a lemon of a car of lousy piece of real estate or engaging in a sexual assault without getting caught, it's all the same skill set and it's about taking away choice without the victim realizing it.

Edited by Rob Randall, 07 February 2021 - 09:27 AM.

• Redd42 likes this

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:29 AM

It’s about giving people free liquor.

There’s no magic there, or skill. Zero.

Know it all.

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:32 AM

The pick pocket doesn’t strip a person’s ability to reason and physically function. Nor does the sleazy real-estate agent or the guy selling a used car.

Mr Bartender just hands people what they came to purchase, for free, and the liquor does the work for him. You could be a mime and you’d get the exact same result.

Know it all.

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:34 AM

Anyways, the trick to being a suave guy is to have a lady offer to buy YOU a drink. Why would a guy who’s smooth and charming need to buy women drinks? That’s fundamentally backwards and makes no sense.

Know it all.

#79 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 02:37 PM

So other than this guy being an employee at Chuck's is there a reason why people are picketing the restaurant? Is there reason to hold the business accountable here? Sounds to me like it had nothing to do with the establishment or am I wrong about that?
  • RoadRunner likes this

#80 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 02:44 PM

So other than this guy being an employee at Chuck's is there a reason why people are picketing the restaurant? Is there reason to hold the business accountable here? Sounds to me like it had nothing to do with the establishment or am I wrong about that?

not so sure.  if the accounts are even mostly true it would be very hard for the ownership or management to not know at least part of what was going on.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 February 2021 - 02:44 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users