Photo

Victoria population discussion | Census data | CRD projections

• Please log in to reply
1210 replies to this topic

#381 garryoak

garryoak
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:58 PM

Sorry, the only stats I have seen are for housing starts and for building permits (which lag even further behind completions).

I had thought about the lag (that's why I didn't include housing starts from 2018, since I figured it was unlikely that those would translate into occupied housing units in the same year).  I agree that the lag for high-rise condos could  easily be 2 years or more.  That would also mean you may need to look at housing starts starting in 2009 or 2010 in order to align with population growth starting in 2011.

#382 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

There’s also the definition of what constitutes a housing start.

Some data suppliers begin the countdown from the moment a building permit is issued (which can be many months before the development site is even cleared). Others from the moment excavation begins, and others still from the moment concrete is poured for the foundation or the first forms for the first concrete pour are positioned. It’s a bit of a Wild West in that regard.

In terms of housing starts, the period between 2009 and 2011 was sort of a no-man’s land. The 2008 collapse stalled just about everything that was in planning, and whatever was already under construction moved towards completion but had a hard time finding buyers (rentals weren’t yet a major trend). It was in that period that the census attributed only 3,600 to the entire core’s population uplift while the Westshore saw 10,200.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#383 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:31 PM

One metric to consider is in the 2011 census the CoV had 47,691 dwellings. By 2016 that number increased to 49,212, or 1,521-units of additional housing.

Langford had 12,731 in 2011 and 14,906 in 2016, a difference of 2,175 (654 more than in the CoV).

This is what I mean when I say I'm dumfounded/perplexed by the BC Stats data. It just doesn't jive at all with what the census data reveals, and one would think a figure like completed dwelling units is a standardized number based on property taxation/strata/land titles data.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#384 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,298 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:53 PM

Newly released 2019 population rankings for Canada’s cities. 72% of the country’s population now lives in one of the 37 metropolitan areas, which are growing three times faster than the rest of the country.

#385 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:39 PM

Wow! Saskatoon has really surged. Not that long ago it and Regina weren’t that far apart.

Know it all.

#386 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:14 AM

Saskatoon is a much nicer looking city than Regina. The river flowing through Saskatoon with its riverbank parks gives it a nice feel compared to Regina's forever flat feeling.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#387 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:53 AM

Saskatoon is a much nicer looking city than Regina. The river flowing through Saskatoon with its riverbank parks gives it a nice feel compared to Regina's forever flat feeling.

Saskatoon is also more of the business centre of the province and business has been doing well.   In the last 20 years there are many years in which Saskatoon was the fastest growing GDP of cities in Canada.    Saskatoon is the corporate home to the largest potash company in the world and the largest publicly trade uranium mining company in the world.

That said, Regina has also grown a lot, it had a population of less than 200,000 in 2011 and is now over 30% higher, Saskatoon has grown 50% over the same time.

#388 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:06 PM

Yes indeed! Incredible growth for those cities. I recall some years back as I was finishing university in the mid-00s that Saskatchewan started a campaign to draw young graduates. Obviously it's working.

Just as an aside, one of YYJ's airport execs now heads up the Regina International Airport, as shoeflack mentioned not that long ago, and Matt R. has talked about sending one of his kids to study in Saskatoon.

Know it all.

#389 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:12 PM

Saskatoon isn’t a choice, it’s the only vet school open to her. Lol.

Matt.

#390 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

Have a few coworkers that were from Saskatchewan, when they retired they sold their house here and went to live in Regina or Saskatoon.

They were able to sell their houses here and buy nice places there for half the price and have money left over.

Also, easy travel to other cities just a few hours away by car or train.

• AllseeingEye and Matt R. like this

#391 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:19 PM

To each his own, for sure.

Know it all.

#392 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,298 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

It Is Indeed Hard to Date in Victoria, But Not For Who You’d Think

Despite Victoria famously having more women than men, it actually might be harder for young heterosexual men to find love than any other group.

https://www.capnews....ntines-day-2020

i guess the census does not ask us our sexual orientation.  but statscan has some figures here:

The Canadian Community Health Survey, Cycle 2.1, was the first Statistics Canada survey to include a question on sexual orientation.

• 1.7% — The percentage of Canadians aged 18 to 59 who reported in 2014 that they consider themselves to be homosexual (gay or lesbian).
  • 1.3% — The percentage of Canadians aged 18 to 59 who reported in 2014 that they consider themselves to be bisexual.

https://www.statcan..../smr08_203_2015

i guess that might be awkward to have sexual orientation on the census.  especially if uncle jake lives over the garage.  or older kids bobby and sue still living at home at 18 and 19.

"alright kids and uncle jake gather round it's time to fill out the household census. and you know by law we have to answer every question truthfully.  ok.  bobby sue and jake are you gay straight or bi?  one at a time while i write your answers in beside your birthdate."

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 February 2020 - 04:39 PM.

#393 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:39 PM

A box of Jackson-Triggs Merlot and that number jumps to 10%.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#394 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:21 PM

Have a few coworkers that were from Saskatchewan, when they retired they sold their house here and went to live in Regina or Saskatoon.

They were able to sell their houses here and buy nice places there for half the price and have money left over.

Also, easy travel to other cities just a few hours away by car or train.

Yup not surprising in the least; the same general attitude permeates many Maritime folks as well. My wife and her very large extended family all live in Regina. And my mother's very large extended family all live in Nova Scotia. All of them, on both sides, have been here at one time or another (sometimes several times), and precisely "0" of them would ever choose to live in BC or Victoria in particular. None of them would give you a plug nickel to live here: too expensive, too isolated (being on an island), and above all "its not home". And all perfectly understandable reasons.

That said I have been the other way naturally and while I get the emotional attachment to the prairie - its as big a deal to those folks as the ocean or mountains are to people here - Regina for me was a little underwhelming, has the largest most vicious mosquito's I've ever encountered, and a terrible crime problem especially among city First Nations youth in the north end.

Nevertheless I get the attachment to "home". It also had/has a robust economy, and is a younger town compared to Victoria with an average age of under 37. Its easy to see why young folks in particular would be attracted there and to Saskatoon, both with healthy economies and affordable cost of living relative to here. In terms of home ownership particularly in both Saskatchewan and NS you aren't bent over in perpetuity taking it up you-know-where when it comes to costs as we are in SW BC.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 14 February 2020 - 09:21 PM.

#395 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:35 AM

I find people in less expensive locales just throw heaps of money into vehicles and “toys” that we aren’t so inclined to do here because of the cost of housing. But then again if you see what happens to a truck that has gone through ten Regina winters I guess you’d need a new one at least every so often while here we drive vehicles until they’re mechanically unable to move!

In the end it all works out.

Know it all.

#396 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:06 PM

July 1, 2020 population estimate from Statistics Canada puts the Victoria CMA at 408,883, representing an 8.74% growth rate since 2015 (376,036). Remember, this is the estimate, which builds on the census (which includes an undercount).

2019-2020 growth is 1.35%.

Taking the estimate growth rate into account, the 2021 census is likely to land between 390,000-400,000.

https://www150.statc...150101,20200101

Know it all.

#397 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,298 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 10:24 AM

census forms are arriving this month.

#398 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,393 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 01:32 PM

I received my 2021 Census document in the mail today.

#399 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:28 PM

I received my 2021 Census document in the mail today.

I received Todd's and had a lot of fun with it.

• Nparker likes this

#400 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:42 PM

I figure if I say I have 10 people living in my household then Victoria will get more money from the Feds!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users