Photo

[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#4041 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

It is not early, it is late. BC Ferries is currently looking at contingency plans in the event that the ship does not go inservice until August. On schedule has the ship departing Poland in February and the vessel back in service for May Long weekend.

I've heard yesterday acceptance has been delayed. She's been completed more or less for a while. Do you know the issue?

#4042 ks112

ks112
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

I've heard yesterday acceptance has been delayed. She's been completed more or less for a while. Do you know the issue?

Unrealistic schedule in the business case.  Sailing a 25 year old ship across the Atlantic, gut the ship, put it back together with new components including a new dual fuel drive-train in the span of 4 month and expect everything to work perfectly.  Look at all the teething pains with the Salish Class LNG new builds, a midlife upgrade for an existing vessel of this magnitude will almost certain be multiple times worse. 

So now that you have accepted there is a delay, where have you been getting your information that had you adamantly telling everyone the ship was 6 weeks ahead of schedule up until two days ago?

#4043 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

^ man, tone it down, why does this have to be 'I told you so'? People don't have to divulge their sources on an anonymous forum for info like that.

Sounds to me that up until March 9, the most accurate information 57WestHills had was that it was ahead of schedule; it doesn't really matter at this point that he and his source were wrong. Until we get the project manager on VV, we're speculating on a lot of info all the timel.

• Coreyburger likes this

#4044 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

This delay might not be good for summer.  Of course, if BCF is well aware ahead of time they can add some early/late sailings with some discounts to draw away from mid-day and Fri/Sun.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4045 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:40 PM

So there seems to be a lot of noise tonight on the chatterbox about how thousands of people have signed a petition to have the ferries returned to government care.

The gist of the conversation appears to be that people who live on islands should not have to pay the true cost of transportation to and from their island of choice.

Is this a valid point? Is the ferry system to be considered part of the highway system that supposedly is paid for by all highway and non highway users....or should the true cost of transportation be born by the user?

Why should the guy that lives in Prince George pay for more than what he is using and the islander pay less?

I have no idea if this is the petition that was put forward or not but online petitions don't seem as effective as the old fashioned parking lot campaigns.
https://www.change.o...on-and-highways

#4046 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

The Prince George example is interesting. Why should the province or feds pay for and maintain roads and railroads to Prince George?

• Matt R. and tedward like this

#4047 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

^Because they accept taxing the users for the privilege.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4048 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

And that should be different than the islands and ferries how, and why?

My taxes help pay the roads to Ft St. John and Prince George and Port Hardy. I've never driven any of those.

• tedward likes this

#4049 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

I think there simply has to be a balance.  It seems pretty fair right now, save for some pretty cheap rates and frequent service to some pretty small islands.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 March 2018 - 07:09 PM.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4050 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

Then why do toll roads exist?

Ferries need to be tolled to control demand. If the ferries were free or low cost, there'd almost always be a wait. You'd never make it across on a long weekend. The summers would be absolute chaos. Lower fares just mean longer waits.

Almost nobody in the world runs free ferries. Our fares are very similar to government run Washington State, yet our service is much better.

Ferries are really not like a road at all. When roads get clogged up, they slow down. The supply of space on a ferry is very, very limited.

#4051 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:22 PM

And that should be different than the islands and ferries how, and why?

My taxes help pay the roads to Ft St. John and Prince George and Port Hardy. I've never driven any of those.

But you do drive on the roads here which somebody from Ft. St. John will never drive on, and you pay based on the amount you drive.

I have never taken a ferry to Fulford Harbour nor do I intend to, why should I pay more so someone can live in isolation on an island. They knew they had to take a ferry to get there they should be willing to pay the cost of it. I am more than willing to pay the cost of the ferry to Vancouver every time I use it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4052 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

...why should I pay more so someone can live in isolation on an island. They knew they had to take a ferry to get there they should be willing to pay the cost of it...

Why should I pay for an overpass at McKenzie & the TCH to speed the journey of those who chose to live in the Westshore?

(let the flames begin)

• tedward, Daveyboy and nagel like this

#4053 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,042 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

^^ get yourself an Experience card, take the 30% discount and come over to salt spring on a sunny Saturday. It’s lovely and worth the $30 round trip. I’ll even buy you a beverage! :)

Matt.

#4054 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

^^ Ok let's not confuse the issue....the ferries have had to increase the size of the fleet with the increase in population as well.

The topic is about when there are no roads.

Should the cost of ferry transportation be set at fair market value, or subsidized by the taxpayer?

#4055 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,042 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

Subsidized, but not free. There needs to be a toll to restrict demand, as someone noted earlier.

Matt.

#4056 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

^^^ Ok here we go...a local that uses the ferry regularly knows about the experience card. Just like the Mill Bay ferry where you can buy tickets at local retailers for a reduced price.

Kinda like a subsidy for those in the loop. Tourists and casual users pay more.

Problem solved.
  • Matt R. likes this

#4057 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

I can think of no one more qualified than you to answer this question Matt.

Do you think that the BC Ferry Corporation should revert back to being operated by the provincial government?

#4058 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,042 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

What difference would that make? Fewer executives?

As a frequent traveller on plenty of ferries I am generally very happy with the level of service and costs.

Matt.
  • Sparky likes this

#4059 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:02 PM

:)
  • Matt R. likes this

#4060 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:38 PM

So now that you have accepted there is a delay, where have you been getting your information that had you adamantly telling everyone the ship was 6 weeks ahead of schedule up until two days ago?

It's still not late yet... But it does seem like it could be now.

I work adjacent to Fleet House so just the usual friendly banter.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users