[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
4082 replies to this topic

#4081 ks112

• 23 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

I can also speak from experience, about 25 years ago someone ran a red light and t boned my car at full speed, car was a write off and I sustained soft tissue back injuries that came and went for about 3-4 years.  With a lawyer I got $9500 and that was with some serious negotiation

The debate was on the substantial increase of mild injuries claims paid out by ICBC in recent times (from $8k/claim in 2012 to $30k/claim in 2016) and its subsequent effect on the financial viability of ICBC.  I am sorry, but the $9500 settlement you received in the 1993 (which btw if adjusted for inflation would be close to $17K in today's dollars) is not a valid data point to include in this discussion.

#4082 VicHockeyFan

• 50,627 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

Nor is ICBC talk here in the ferries thread...

• Nparker likes this

#4083 ks112

• 23 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

Well, 25 years ago you could fully insure a vehicle for $350 a year, too.

SoBC is approximately a month late according to my source, who is in the know. Ks was right!

I would say the shipyard work is at a minimum a month late, you won't know for a certain until the ship actually leaves the yard for BC which it hasn't.  And then you have all the training issues I had mentioned before.  I would say the in-service date will be at a minimum 2 month late.  My earlier post did not paste properly so given the scope of the work being done below, I would say the extent of training would likely mirror that of a brand new vessel.

• Conversion of the propulsion plant to dual fuel (natural gas and marine diesel oil)
  • New engines and a natural gas fuel system
  • Upgrades to more efficient air conditioning equipment
  • Upgrades to the passenger area including new carpeting and an additional washroom
  • Upgrades to the passenger elevators including the renewal of mechanical and electrical drive components
  • Expansion of the gift shop and addition of a new coffee bar
  • Renewal of the propulsion equipment components including rudders, steering system, bow thrusters, propellers and gearboxes
  • New machinery control system, navigation system, internal communication system and safety and evacuation systemst

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users