Photo

[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#4081 ks112

ks112
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

I can also speak from experience, about 25 years ago someone ran a red light and t boned my car at full speed, car was a write off and I sustained soft tissue back injuries that came and went for about 3-4 years.  With a lawyer I got $9500 and that was with some serious negotiation

The debate was on the substantial increase of mild injuries claims paid out by ICBC in recent times (from $8k/claim in 2012 to $30k/claim in 2016) and its subsequent effect on the financial viability of ICBC.  I am sorry, but the $9500 settlement you received in the 1993 (which btw if adjusted for inflation would be close to $17K in today's dollars) is not a valid data point to include in this discussion.

#4082 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

Nor is ICBC talk here in the ferries thread...

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4083 ks112

ks112
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

Well, 25 years ago you could fully insure a vehicle for $350 a year, too.

SoBC is approximately a month late according to my source, who is in the know. Ks was right!

I would say the shipyard work is at a minimum a month late, you won't know for a certain until the ship actually leaves the yard for BC which it hasn't.  And then you have all the training issues I had mentioned before.  I would say the in-service date will be at a minimum 2 month late.  My earlier post did not paste properly so given the scope of the work being done below, I would say the extent of training would likely mirror that of a brand new vessel.

• Conversion of the propulsion plant to dual fuel (natural gas and marine diesel oil)
  • New engines and a natural gas fuel system
  • Upgrades to more efficient air conditioning equipment
  • Upgrades to the passenger area including new carpeting and an additional washroom
  • Upgrades to the passenger elevators including the renewal of mechanical and electrical drive components
  • Expansion of the gift shop and addition of a new coffee bar
  • Renewal of the propulsion equipment components including rudders, steering system, bow thrusters, propellers and gearboxes
  • New machinery control system, navigation system, internal communication system and safety and evacuation systemst

#4084 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

Minister says she is not keen on BC Ferries future airline like pricing.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 March 2018 - 07:25 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4085 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:35 AM

^ c'mon, where's the link? Nice tidbit but no source  :rtfm:

#4086 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

^ c'mon, where's the link? Nice tidbit but no source :rtfm:

http://www.timescolo...ions-1.23206554

#4087 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Times Colonist today. Sounds like the beginnings of yet another provincial study...

#4088 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

^ c'mon, where's the link? Nice tidbit but no source  :rtfm:

“They keep talking about this airline model and I’ve got to say I’m quite concerned about it,” said Trevena. “The fact that the earlier you buy your ticket the cheaper it can be, and then if you just roll up … and pay extra because you are arriving late, I perceive that as problematic, because it’s a highway system, it isn’t an airplane system.”

http://www.timescolo...ions-1.23206554

http://vancouversun....s-says-minister

#4089 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:54 AM

If its a highway system, then why are we paying fees at all? :P

• Nparker likes this

#4090 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

If it's a highway then why don't we just build a bridge over to Quadra island?

• tedward and thundergun like this

#4091 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

If it's a highway then why don't we just build a bridge over to Quadra island?

I imagine running that ferry for free would still be cheaper than a bridge. You'd need a massive bridge to allow for the size of some of those ships that go up Johnstone Straight. Certainly one that would cost in the many hundreds of millions of dollars.

#4092 ks112

ks112
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

I imagine running that ferry for free would still be cheaper than a bridge. You'd need a massive bridge to allow for the size of some of those ships that go up Johnstone Straight. Certainly one that would cost in the many hundreds of millions of dollars.

You would also need to service the debt that BC Ferries has taken on due to aquisition existing vessels, except that it now has no revenue source.  Airline model is interesting in theory as it would shift demand to the less utilized sailings while maintaining an average price that is the same.  So the over all effect would be that people would pay the same average price but you get higher traffic count. 

In reality someone making minimum wage rushing to visit a relative whom got in an car accident in Vancouver on Friday afternoon will have to pay like 200 bucks to go over, it will end up in the papers and that'll be that.

#4093 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

Oh, and believe me, if I had to pay such a surcharge for departing on the 7AM ferry in order to make my meeting at 10AM in Vancouver, I'd be one unhappy guy, lemme tell ya.

BC Ferries isn't an airline. It's the single option for British Columbians living on Vancouver Island to cross over to the mainland with a vehicle (and no, the Coho doesn't count).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4094 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

I was mostly kidding. [logically speaking, there should probably be bridges to Gabriola and SSI, though] 

It's funny to me that the same people [politically] who want to introduce congestion tolling - I mean "mobility pricing" - and carbon taxes to reduce fossil fuel burn, want ferries to be free because they are "highways". Are the principles not the same? 

#4095 ks112

ks112
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:49 AM

Oh, and believe me, if I had to pay such a surcharge for departing on the 7AM ferry in order to make my meeting at 10AM in Vancouver, I'd be one unhappy guy, lemme tell ya.

BC Ferries isn't an airline. It's the single option for British Columbians living on Vancouver Island to cross over to the mainland with a vehicle (and no, the Coho doesn't count).

Well i am assuming if its business related last minute meeting then your work would be paying for it :).  I supposed it won't be $200 because then you would just take helijet or harbour air, so I would say it's likely somewhere around say $135.  So in return for you paying that much, there are two people (one of whom, wasn't planning to go unless it was cheap) whom booked months ahead on a 9pm Tuesday sailing now paying $30 to go over. 

So the outcome is that now they have 3 passengers paying an average fare of $65 bucks going over to Vancouver [($135+$30+$30)/3 = $65)], where as before they would have just had 2 passengers paying $65 a piece.  So overall a revenue and bottom increase of $65 since it doesn't cost anymore to carry that additional passenger.  

#4096 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

It makes good financial and business sense to push people to off-peak sailings.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 March 2018 - 09:52 AM.

• vortoozo likes this

#4097 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

Don’t delays and reservations already accomplish that?

Look, if I want to catch the 7AM I will line up at 5AM if I have to. Being forced to pay twice the price because the system is inadequate and operates as a monopoly is not a solution.

What next? Surcharges for using on board washrooms? Maybe heated compartments will come with a levy?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4098 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

Mike, where are you getting this twice the price misinformation? #fakenews 

#4099 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

Being forced to wait multiple hours is inadequate as well. That needs to be solved too. It's especially a PITA for families with small kids. Reservations help only somewhat, as it requires knowing your schedule in advance, which can be difficult.

• jonny likes this

#4100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

Mike, where are you getting this twice the price misinformation? #fakenews

It could be thrice the price.

Airlines charge $900 for a flight to Edmonton booked an hour before the gate closes. Or $165 if you book a week in advance.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users