• 1,997 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:27 AM

Planning has already begun.

#4922 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,068 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 12:39 PM

Without some kind of support “that’s going to be radical surgery on the ferry system, because $300 million is just breathtaking.”

It’s more than the entire amount the province contributes to keep the system running.

Premier John Horgan on Monday said he has cited B.C. Ferries and Translink’s equally dire crisis in talks with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

He said public-transportation entities need help as much as the airline industry, which got some fees waived last month.

“We are severely challenged right now. I’m not diminishing the province’s responsibility here, I’m just seeking to spread that responsibility to other partners. ”

i really think the taxpayers of bc have to lump this one.  it's not terribly fair to ask the rest of the country to cover losses here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 April 2020 - 12:40 PM.

#4923 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 12:43 PM

Without some kind of support “that’s going to be radical surgery on the ferry system, because $300 million is just breathtaking.”

It’s more than the entire amount the province contributes to keep the system running.

Premier John Horgan on Monday said he has cited B.C. Ferries and Translink’s equally dire crisis in talks with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

He said public-transportation entities need help as much as the airline industry, which got some fees waived last month.

“We are severely challenged right now. I’m not diminishing the province’s responsibility here, I’m just seeking to spread that responsibility to other partners. ”

i really think the taxpayers of bc have to lump this one.  it's not terribly fair to ask the rest of the country to cover losses here.

BC taxpayers don't have $300M to pay people who aren't working. The simple solution is lay off the people who no longer have jobs. EI will cover them. Having the BC taxpayer pay 75% of their wages plus benefits is asinine. 

#4924 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:00 PM

i really think the taxpayers of bc have to lump this one. it's not terribly fair to ask the rest of the country to cover losses here.[/size][/font][/color]

But it’s alright for BC taxpayers to subsidize east coast ferry systems 365 days of the year?
  • VIResident likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4925 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:48 AM

Canadian taxpayers already subsidize B.C. ferries too. Every day every year. Look it up.

it’s $30 million or so.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 April 2020 - 02:52 AM.

#4926 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:08 PM

Yeah, now look up the subsidies for east coast ferries.

Betcha dollar you won’t be back with good news!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4927 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, now look up the subsidies for east coast ferries.

Betcha dollar you won’t be back with good news!

i've come back with the research results.

the federal subsidy to bcf helps bring the vehicle rate on the major runs down to $57.50 each way.   

the federal subsidy on the major route (nl to ns) atlantic ferry helps bring the vehicle fare down to $119.24 each way.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 April 2020 - 04:17 PM.

#4928 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:20 PM

Doh!

Atlantic Canada’s ferry passengers get 350 times the federal subsidies that ferry passengers in B.C. receive, a study prepared for the Union of B.C. Municipalities finds.

Federal funding for West Coast ferries relative to East Coast ferries shows that Marine Atlantic is subsidized $493 per passenger. BC Ferries’ federal subsidy is $1.41 per passenger, the analysis notes. Ferry travellers here get about 0.2 per cent of the federal financial support counterparts on the Atlantic get, although ferry use here is 20 times greater.

- http://www.vancouver...9242/story.html

Know it all.

#4929 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:23 PM

newfoundland was promised a cheap ferry as part of confederation.  we got a railroad promised.  sounds fair.

#4930 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:24 PM

Where’s our railroad?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#4931 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:26 PM

Where’s our railroad?

it comes over the rockies from alberta.  and into downtown vancouver.  then it even goes (by ferry) across to nanaimo and down to victoria.  you can tell it's there because there are brand new crossing arms and lights at several level crossings around town.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 April 2020 - 04:27 PM.

• lanforod likes this

#4932 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:27 PM

Ain’t no train rollin’ coal along that disheveled mess down to Victoria.

Know it all.

#4933 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:15 AM

i've come back with the research results.

the federal subsidy to bcf helps bring the vehicle rate on the major runs down to $57.50 each way.   

the federal subsidy on the major route (nl to ns) atlantic ferry helps bring the vehicle fare down to $119.24 each way.

The major BC Ferry routes make money for them.   Those runs subsidize the other runs.

The biggest subsidy for ferries in BC is for the inland ferries with a 100% subsidy

#4934 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:05 AM

Enjoyed my 30% discount yesterday to Victoria and today I’m off to nanaimo, also enjoying my 30% discount. Thanks, y’all!

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#4935 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:55 PM

Salt Spring Islanders, eh? Harping on the rest of us for wanting to visit their island during COVID...
  • Matt R. and todd like this

Know it all.

#4936 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:30 PM

Lol!

Yeah it’s pretty great.

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#4937 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:07 PM

Lol!
Yeah it’s pretty great.
Matt.

You’re sure you didn’t bring back anything with you?

#4938 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:29 PM

Yesterday we brought back a new car and some stuff from the townhouse, today a 5x3 plexiglass sneeze guard and three full sheets of puck board. :)

Salt spring to crofton, $22 return!

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 23 April 2020 - 10:35 PM.

• todd likes this

#4939 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:05 PM

BC Ferries will start ramping up daily service on the Swartz Bay-Tsawwassen run beginning May 15th.

15th, Mon-Fri

Swartz Bay, 11am

Tsawwassen, 1pm

16th, daily

Swartz Bay, 7am

Tsawwassen, 9am

24th, Sundays

Tsawwassen, 3pm

Swartz Bay, 5pm

Ferries will continue running at half capacity through June.

https://vancouverisl...route-1.4929475

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#4940 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:33 PM

bc ferries are pretty booked up for the long weekend.

https://www.victoria...-remains-at-50/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 May 2020 - 05:33 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users