[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6304 replies to this topic

#5081 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 07:55 PM

Mike was the only person in the Pacific Northwest that didn't know ferry service to the Island that day was a gong show.

Years ago they used to have people going up and down the lanes selling the local newspapers. Why not have it like the baseball stadium guys? I bet a good hustler could make decent coin.

I can attest that selling food and drink to people stuck for hours at a ferry terminal is very rewarding.

Matt.
  • Rob Randall, Bob Fugger, Redd42 and 1 other like this

#5082 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:18 PM

Chatting with people in the lineup I'd say 50% did not expect to be sitting on a highway at 3:30PM. It was getting a little concerning as people starting running out of water and the line up would creep up every 10-15 minutes so very few people ventured towards the village.

We ran out of water after the first hour and a half and we had a few bottles. I was also getting low on fuel after having the AC on for a few hours cumulatively, as did most everyone who had AC.

Anyhow, hats off to the ferry workers. They were doing their best to get as many people moving as possible.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5083 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:26 PM

Did I mention the orcas in Fulford Harbour last Saturday? Already a busy day with the Saturday market running, but they had to cancel an entire round trip and get this - the skeena Queen doesn’t hold potable water. People were stuck out there for two hours in the sun. I’m sure there are a few gallons kicking around on the bridge, but there aren’t any sources of water available to the travelling public.

Anyways, good day to have a grocery store and restaurant at the ferry landing until it all hit the fan, and then it sucked. :)

Matt.

#5084 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,296 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 12:09 AM

humans can live 3 days with no water. it was not so bad you guys.
  • Matt R. likes this

#5085 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 August 2021 - 03:45 PM

Isn’t there a couple of pop machines

#5086 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:28 PM

Nothing.

^^And this isn’t about life or death dude, it’s about heat exhaustion or other ailments due to dehydration. All day the radio said stay in a cool place and drink fluids. Thousands of people arrived at the ferry terminal with no escape from the sun, and no access to water.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5087 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:36 PM

. All day the radio said stay in a cool place and drink fluids. Thousands of people arrived at the ferry terminal with no escape from the sun, and no access to water.

The other main news story all day long was that the ferries to the Island that day were fully booked.

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#5088 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:42 PM

Oh the skeena? Yah there might be a few dozens drinks on board but I think they are often empty, it’s a busy boat especially on a Saturday in august. 100 cars, 400 ish passengers, full all day.

Matt.
  • lanforod likes this

#5089 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,296 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:45 PM

Nothing.

^^And this isn’t about life or death dude, it’s about heat exhaustion or other ailments due to dehydration. All day the radio said stay in a cool place and drink fluids. Thousands of people arrived at the ferry terminal with no escape from the sun, and no access to water.

Order Skip The Dishes.

First world problems. people in $40,000 vehicles with 500 miles range can’t figure out how to find something to drink.

the same people ignored numerous media reports about how busy the ferries would be this weekend and failed to make reservations. or never considered the reason they could not make reservations would mean multiple sailing waits if they arrive with no reservations..

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 August 2021 - 11:49 PM.

• Mike K., Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#5090 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:20 AM

A month ago I made a reservation on the 9 pm to Swartz Bay even though I correctly estimated at the time it would likely only be 3/4 full. It was a small price to pay for peace of mind. But I get you original point. It would be a lucrative day for a savvy snack entrepreneur since BCF is uninterested in the role. 

• Brayvehart likes this

#5091 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:39 AM

Who travels on a hot day without at least a few litters of water in the trunk? Time to consider more Darwin awards.

• Brayvehart likes this

#5092 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:43 AM

^ Haha that was meant for you Mike.

#5093 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:06 AM

The other main news story all day long was that the ferries to the Island that day were fully booked.

They weren’t, not until well into the afternoon.

But what are you supposed to do if you need to get back? Just forfeit your spot in line only to do it all again the next day?

Know it all.

#5094 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:10 AM

Who travels on a hot day without at least a few litters of water in the trunk? Time to consider more Darwin awards.

We had water, but it goes fast. You need jugs of water on a near 40c day when you’re in the exposed sun.

But yeah, that was a lesson to have far more than you’ll ever think you need.

Know it all.

#5095 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:13 AM

Order Skip The Dishes.

First world problems. people in $40,000 vehicles with 500 miles range can’t figure out how to find something to drink.

the same people ignored numerous media reports about how busy the ferries would be this weekend and failed to make reservations. or never considered the reason they could not make reservations would mean multiple sailing waits if they arrive with no reservations..

Well hold on now. I’m used to Tsawwassen where you have easy access to the Quay even if it’s super busy. At Horseshoe I didn’t know we’d be on a highway kilometres away from the ticket booths, let alone the commercial village which is some ways beyond the booths.

Lots of lessons learned here, for sure.

Know it all.

#5096 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:45 AM

They weren’t, not until well into the afternoon [of July30].

BC Ferries warns of likely sailing delays during August long weekend
Adam Chan CTV News Vancouver Island

Published Monday, July 26, 2021 11:37AM PDT

BC Ferries recommends travellers book their sailings online in advance, but if reservations are sold out, travellers should be prepared for sailing waits. BC Ferries recommends travellers to bring plenty of water for themselves and their pets.

Black Press Jul. 29, 2021 6:00 a.m

BC Ferries: Multiple sailing waits for trips from Vancouver to Victoria, Nanaimo ahead of long weekend CTVNewsVancouver.ca
Friday, July 30th 2021 - 7:16 am

'We are full,' says BC Ferries as long weekend travellers face multiple sailing waits, traffic delays

CBC News · Posted: Jul 30, 2021 10:22 AM PT

BC Ferries bookings from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, Duke Point sold out until Saturday afternoon
BY DENISE WONG AND CHARLIE CAREY News 1130

Posted Jul 29, 2021 2:14 pm PDT Last Updated Jul 30, 2021 at 11:46 am PD

#5097 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:50 AM

Full at 10:22AM?

So how did I get home if I pulled up to the terminal at 330PM-ish? So full, but not full, or full but really just full allegorically, or full but actually just busy but full sounds better in print?

Know it all.

#5098 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:57 AM

Anyways, it’s all good.

My only suggestion would be to have BCF organize water/food sales on busy periods where people are stuck on a highway and can’t access any services. It’s something to consider.

And for anyone travelling through Horseshoe (people were calling it something else, believe me) know that you’re without services if you’re not past the booths.

Know it all.

#5099 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:21 AM

I have a better idea. Ferry space could be allocated 50/50 between island residents and tourists.

Residents NEED the transportation link….tourists should be the ones to wait in line especially during peak periods.

#5100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:25 AM

Imagine if BC Ferries terminals were opened up to true competition like airports.

Another angle is to add semi truck sailings at 2AM and 4AM, or whatever. Upper decks can also be available to passengers but truckers know they can board 24 hours a day and don’t need to wait for 7AM.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users