[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#5121 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:30 PM

^ Larger ferries….we are getting bombarded as it is.

#5122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:35 PM

We ain’t seen nothing yet. The boomer migration wave has only just begun with peak retirement starting this decade and lasting through the early 30s.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5123 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:39 PM

Oh dear…. Here come the 70’s again when the prairie farmers sold their farms.

Ever notice how all the houses look the same in Colwood?

Hugo Hucker built 365 houses a year. One a day.
  • Matt R. likes this

#5124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:47 PM

By 2030 the CRD will have a population closer to 550,000.

But in 2000 we planned on reaching 400,000 by 2030 (that’s where we’re at today, a decade early).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5125 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:50 PM

Sounds like we might have to build larger ferries.

Or fast ferries.

Perhaps their time has come?

#5126 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:05 AM

Do you *really* believe they could achieve cost recovery on overnight sailings every 2 hours? Even the occasional midnight sailing scheduled during the summer doesn't tend to be that full. Or the 9pm sailings at most times of the year.

Plus how would that impact the service life of the vessels? 

Is the underlying purpose of the ferries cost recovery, or to provide a reliable 24-hour highway link to the Island?

"Occasional midnight sailings" won't get much uptake.

Every-night midnight (or 1 a.m.) sailings would, particularly the one coming this way (i.e. to the Island), once those sailings became an established thing and people knew they could rely on them.  And there's nothing saying they have to use the same vessels.

The other time there needs to be a sailing, year-round, is before 7 a.m.  That first ferry is often packed full.

#5127 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:50 AM

Is the underlying purpose of the ferries cost recovery, or to provide a reliable 24-hour highway link to the Island?

"Occasional midnight sailings" won't get much uptake.

Every-night midnight (or 1 a.m.) sailings would, particularly the one coming this way (i.e. to the Island), once those sailings became an established thing and people knew they could rely on them.  And there's nothing saying they have to use the same vessels.

The other time there needs to be a sailing, year-round, is before 7 a.m.  That first ferry is often packed full.

A reliable 24-hour highway link to the island has NEVER been the underlying purpose of BC Ferries.

If you believe there is a business case, there's nothing stopping you from starting said service. Though if there was, someone would already have started it.

If you want to head over prior to 7am or after 9pm, you can head up to Duke Point. At that time of day it only takes about 45 minutes longer to get to Duke Point than it does to Swartz Bay from much of the city. 

• Mike K. and Brayvehart like this

#5128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:03 AM

they just need to be more aggressive with pricing. spread the loads over other days and times. when you go to book a 3pm Friday sailing it should remind you that you can instead sail at 10am for $40 less.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 August 2021 - 03:04 AM.

• max.bravo likes this

#5129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:20 AM

A reliable 24-hour highway link to the island has NEVER been the underlying purpose of BC Ferries.

If you believe there is a business case, there's nothing stopping you from starting said service. Though if there was, someone would already have started it.

If you want to head over prior to 7am or after 9pm, you can head up to Duke Point. At that time of day it only takes about 45 minutes longer to get to Duke Point than it does to Swartz Bay from much of the city.

This is where it would be cool to have a third party be able to use bc ferry infrastructure.

I’ve done the Nanaimo run many times due to full sailings and it’s always great on paper, but it becomes a slog. It’s good to have that last resort, though.

A client told me over the weekend he used his guaranteed sailing pass and just rolled up and got on. I forgot about those.

Know it all.

#5130 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:26 AM

This is where it would be cool to have a third party be able to use bc ferry infrastructure.

where is that nanaimo passenger ferry?  it's been "coming soon" for nearly a decade now.

#5131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:32 AM

I just don’t think the money is in passenger ferries.

Know it all.

#5132 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:16 AM

they just need to be more aggressive with pricing. spread the loads over other days and times. when you go to book a 3pm Friday sailing it should remind you that you can instead sail at 10am for $40 less.

They just started doing this, I bet its working. I booked (with a trailer) and saved over $200 return by booking the cheaper sailings.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5133 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:20 AM

They just started doing this, I bet its working. I booked (with a trailer) and saved over $200 return by booking the cheaper sailings.

could you easily see the chance for better fares at a glance well before booking, like you might see on an airline site?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 August 2021 - 07:21 AM.

#5134 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:15 PM

could you easily see the chance for better fares at a glance well before booking, like you might see on an airline site?

Yes.

Attached Images

• Capture.PNG

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5135 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:15 AM

“B.C. Ferries moves crew to different locations as required from this pool of spare staff onshore,” he said.

But on Wednesday, “the three individuals were at the same location, making it challenging to find enough replacements on short notice.”

The organization is affected by a world-wide shortage of mariners, said Collins, adding the corporation is actively recruiting for about 60 officer positions and 50 other key positions to ensure it has enough crew members in the event of illness or other absences.

https://www.timescol...ages-1.24348992

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 August 2021 - 05:15 AM.

#5136 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 August 2021 - 01:09 AM

The ferries aren't supposed to be a "business" any more than a highway is a "business".

And (in response to someone else) passenger-only ferries won't really be viable until Skytrain extends to the mainland terminal and we have light rail from Swartz Bay to downtown on this side.  I ain't holding my breath...

Edited by FogPub, 07 August 2021 - 01:10 AM.

#5137 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:17 AM

we don't need "light rail" on the peninsula.  we just need the bus to make far less stops.  we are always half-assing it with "express" buses here.  we need an express bus from downtown to the ferry and an express bus to westshore from downtown.  and and maybe westshore to the ferry too.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 August 2021 - 04:18 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5138 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:51 AM

The ferries aren't supposed to be a "business" any more than a highway is a "business".

And (in response to someone else) passenger-only ferries won't really be viable until Skytrain extends to the mainland terminal and we have light rail from Swartz Bay to downtown on this side.  I ain't holding my breath...

You're kidding, right? The Canada Line cost something like $2 billion for its 19km run. The remaining distance is more than that, and includes a substantial river crossing. With next to zero density along the route south of Richmond to support regular service. The bus meets each ferry and takes, what, 25 minutes? Would a new line even provide any time savings?

#5139 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 August 2021 - 02:43 PM

i've wondered about extending the airport spur to a new passenger ferry terminal on Sea Island. Seems a lot simpler. I just don't know how much longer a ferry ride it would be for a passenger ferry etc.

#5140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 02:47 PM

that’s a good idea, at least looking at it. at some point of foot passenger traffic loads doesn’t looking at a passenger only ferry make sense
for BCF?

we have a massive ferry that brings passengers into Victoria from Seattle. With no subsidy. And no direct car ferry. Seems odd that Victoria - Vancouver calls for the opposite.

What about a monorail? I have no expertise but just by definition it seems like monorail wound be 50% less expensive than a rail system.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 August 2021 - 03:09 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users