Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
944 replies to this topic

#241 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:44 PM

Did they say whether it would be restricted or unrestricted class 4?  And is there a difference in difficulty of how to get it?

Not much different, on the restricted you do a road test in a car, on the unrestricted you need to do the test in a mini-bus like the Handidarts I believe.

I had my class 2 with air and had to do the test in a 55 seat stickshift bus like the PCL buses. Man that was hard, I had to drive the bus through downtown and onto Dallas rd and navigate the bends by the coast guard base without touching the centre line and then parallel park and reverse park on a downhill slope (reverse parking in a stickshift bus)

The class 4 is no more than a class 5 test with the exception of the medical and the pre-trip inspections

• Mike K. and LeoVictoria like this

#242 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:47 PM

So you're well aware of the stunts some drivers pull, the terrible condition of some cabs, and the lack of resources during busy periods.

Yep, I am aware of all the unprofessional things "Some" Cab drivers have chosen to participate in. That being said, if those things are reported to the dispatch office the driver will generally be handed a dispatch suspension anywhere from 1 day to a week. During that time they have to operate by flagging only and will not be dispatched trips. If this happens you may as well just stay home as most your trips come through dispatch and not flagging.

I drove for Empress, and back in those days the cab had to be clean and tidy at all times. They would even force you to go and wash it in the middle of your shift if one of the directors (who also drive)deemed it dirty. 

That being said UBER driver's are less regulated and monitored then taxi drivers and the same unprofessional "Stunts" or behaviors can, will, and are currently being carried out by Uber drivers.

Free opinion.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 27 November 2018 - 02:47 PM.

#243 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

Yep, I am aware of all the unprofessional things "Some" Cab drivers have chosen to participate in. That being said, if those things are reported to the dispatch office the driver will generally be handed a dispatch suspension anywhere from 1 day to a week. During that time they have to operate by flagging only and will not be dispatched trips. If this happens you may as well just stay home as most your trips come through dispatch and not flagging.

I drove for Empress, and back in those days the cab had to be clean and tidy at all times. They would even force you to go and wash it in the middle of your shift if one of the directors (who also drive)deemed it dirty. 

That being said UBER driver's are less regulated and monitored then taxi drivers and the same unprofessional "Stunts" or behaviors can, will, and are currently being carried out by Uber drivers.

Free opinion.

Empress taxi! too funny, I had Ken Bodnarchuck as an instructor at UVic last year...had a good chuckle with him about Empress Taxi. That was a class outfit and forced the other cab companies to up their game. Uber will do the same. 

Funny thing is, I'll still use a cab if I drop my car off at the dealer and that will be fine and I'll use an Uber if we decide to go out for a few drinks at dinner....It will be whatever is more convenient. 

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#244 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

Things have changed considerably since the days of Empress Taxi!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#245 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:57 PM

Free opinion.

I've never had an issue with cab quality/cleanliness, payment options, or timeliness.   But I don't take cabs often or at peak times.   

#246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:18 PM

It can be downright insulting come midnight in downtown Victoria. You've got cabbies circling blocks looking for cash fares or fares that will take them within an X-distance from downtown. If you don't have cash they pull away or if you're going too far, good luck scoring a cab. Cabbies want to be within a 10-minute trip to downtown so they can return and get another fare, rinse and repeat.

I've been stuck in that situation more times than I care to recall.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#247 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:27 PM

Funny thing is, I'll still use a cab if I drop my car off at the dealer

Tell those tightwads at GAIN to pony up for a loaner car or two! 

• rjag and LeoVictoria like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#248 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:49 PM

Tell those tightwads at GAIN to pony up for a loaner car or two!

Oh no worries from them I always get a nice toy to drive! It’s the cheap tightwads at Acura with the wife’s car! 😎😁😉

#249 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:27 PM

I've never had an issue with cab quality/cleanliness, payment options, or timeliness. But I don't take cabs often or at peak times.

Lol c'mon Leo. No issues with cleanliness? 90% of local cabs are filthy, disgusting and stinky.

#250 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:46 PM

It can be downright insulting come midnight in downtown Victoria. You've got cabbies circling blocks looking for cash fares or fares that will take them within an X-distance from downtown. If you don't have cash they pull away or if you're going too far, good luck scoring a cab. Cabbies want to be within a 10-minute trip to downtown so they can return and get another fare, rinse and repeat.

I've been stuck in that situation more times than I care to recall.

Why do you even tell the cabbie where you're going until your butt is firmly planted in the back seat?

#251 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:04 AM

Why do you even tell the cabbie where you're going until your butt is firmly planted in the back seat?

BOOM!  You got it.

I never refused a trip simply based on the distance a passenger was going. A trip was a trip.

I did however refuse service to people in whom I knew were drug dealers, hookers, junkies and people who were clearly at the point of Vomiting from being too drunk. 

I would ask for money upfront if I got a bad vibe from the person(s), and I was always armed with a weapon ready to use in a split second if need be. 

But no, generally people would not tell me where they wanted to go until after they were in the cab.

#252 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:48 AM

But then you get this:  https://globalnews.c...new-westminster

Here is another story about a refusal from Swartz Bay to Sidney last week:

https://vancouverisl...?clipId=1508071

#253 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:22 AM

It’s rampant. Cab pulls up, driver lowers the window, asks where you’re going. Either you get the “cash only” demand or they just take off.

With Uber your vehicle is your vehicle. Nobody else can take it from you, the driver knows who you are, the driver knows where you’re going and there is no exchange of funds unless you’d like to throw them a tip.

Know it all.

#254 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:53 AM

^ The driver doesn't know where you are going with Uber until you get in the vehicle and they start the ride.

#255 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:07 AM

I was refused service by 3 cabs at YYJ a few years back. I used to park my car at work in Keating X Rd when we went out of town and catch a cab from teh airport back to Keating when we got back. Quite a few occasions (3 I can think of, I was refused service as it wasnt far enough and at 11pm at night there is no other business at Keating so he'd either have to deadhead downtown or go back to the airport and get to the back of the line. In those situations I had to walk the line to get someone and even then there'd be grumbling.

All it takes is one or 2 bad experiences. We are the customer, if theres choices to be made then the customer needs to be able to choose. When the taxi cartel starts doing what they are doing then they are alienating more than they are winning over. Its a business, the government needs to stop meddling with it as they are in on it by restricting the supply they get to collect massive fees for the medallions....those days are over....

#256 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:51 AM

I was refused service by 3 cabs at YYJ a few years back. I used to park my car at work in Keating X Rd when we went out of town and catch a cab from teh airport back to Keating when we got back. Quite a few occasions (3 I can think of, I was refused service as it wasnt far enough and at 11pm at night there is no other business at Keating so he'd either have to deadhead downtown or go back to the airport and get to the back of the line. In those situations I had to walk the line to get someone and even then there'd be grumbling.

All it takes is one or 2 bad experiences. We are the customer, if theres choices to be made then the customer needs to be able to choose. When the taxi cartel starts doing what they are doing then they are alienating more than they are winning over. Its a business, the government needs to stop meddling with it as they are in on it by restricting the supply they get to collect massive fees for the medallions....those days are over....

Your situation sucks but the issue really lies with the Airport Authority and how they regulate and charge taxis. If taxis were allowed to come and go at will and charge an airport fee (like Uber will be) then I am sure that you wouldn't have an issue. When you are forced to wait 30 minutes in line and then can't capture the extra fee you have to pay to be there in the first place, it is not a surprise that taxis need a longer ride to make it economical.

Edited by spanky123, 28 November 2018 - 09:51 AM.

• rjag likes this

#257 m3m

m3m
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:34 AM

BOOM!  You got it.

I never refused a trip simply based on the distance a passenger was going. A trip was a trip.

I did however refuse service to people in whom I knew were drug dealers, hookers, junkies and people who were clearly at the point of Vomiting from being too drunk. 

I would ask for money upfront if I got a bad vibe from the person(s), and I was always armed with a weapon ready to use in a split second if need be. 

But no, generally people would not tell me where they wanted to go until after they were in the cab.

Yikes.  If the taxi drivers in this city are carrying weapons, that's another plus for Uber, i'd say. 

Edited by m3m, 28 November 2018 - 10:41 AM.

#258 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:52 AM

Yikes. If the taxi drivers in this city are carrying weapons, that's another plus for Uber, i'd say.

Who is to say that Uber drivers aren’t doing the same?!

#259 m3m

m3m
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:22 AM

Both Uber and Lyft both prohibit their drivers from carrying weapons. 

This is Lyft's weapon policy:

To keep our entire community comfortable, Lyft has a strict "No Weapons" policy. This means that if any driver or passenger possesses a weapon in a Lyft vehicle, regardless of whether possession is legal where they are, they will be removed from the platform.

We approach this issue from a community perspective — it’s hard to know what someone else is or isn't comfortable with. The mere presence of a weapon might make another community member distressed.

Lyft reserves sole judgement on what constitutes a "weapon."

#260 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:46 PM

BOOM!  You got it.

I would ask for money upfront if I got a bad vibe from the person(s), 

Aha, now we are getting closer to the cause of Mike's troubles!  :)

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users