Photo

Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
944 replies to this topic

#521 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:39 PM

A horse is self-driving.  We lost so much when we moved to the automobile.

Because when I think of what could be done to improve downtown Victoria, the first thing that springs to mind is to see the streets covered in horse poop.

#522 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:58 PM

Y'all realize that Uber (and others) is pursuing the self-driving tech because the end goal is "vehicle as a service," i.e. an end to vehicle ownership? Instead you may have a subscription to a vehicle, which would drive itself to your location on demand. That's a whole different thread, though.

Edited by Jackerbie, 31 July 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#523 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

Y'all realize that Uber (and others) is pursuing the self-driving tech because the end goal is "vehicle as a service," i.e. an end to vehicle ownership? Instead you may have a subscription to a vehicle, which would drive itself to your location on demand. That's a whole different thread, though.

Theyare interested in "talking about" self-driving cars as a way of trying to convince investors that at some point in the future they can actually make a profit!

Edited by spanky123, 31 July 2019 - 03:59 PM.

#524 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:13 PM

this is true.

#525 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:13 PM

Theyare interested in "talking about" self-driving cars as a way of trying to convince investors that at some point in the future they can actually make a profit!

this is also true.

#526 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:59 PM

Because when I think of what could be done to improve downtown Victoria, the first thing that springs to mind is to see the streets covered in horse poop.

Are you kidding?  Tell Victoria's gardeners there's free horse manure and it'll be gone like used fryer oil left out behind a restaurant.

The reason that Uber is interested in self-driving cars is because it would eliminate the whiny I-need-a-living-wage problem currently piloting their unlicensed taxi service.  Boo hoo, go shovel horsesh*t for a living AKA start posting your thoughts on the internet.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#527 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:39 PM

Do you really want mature drivers to be the ride-hailing workforce though?  I miss the days when we argued about self-driving cars.  Also, where's my self-driving car?

Speaking of mature drivers being the ride-hailing workforce: https://www.wptv.com...keep-you-young/

Nearly a quarter of Uber drivers, for example, in the U.S are over the age of 50.

Even more interesting (in Florida):

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed legislation enabling transportation network companies – including Uber and Lyft to provide “reliable non-emergency transportation” for Medicaid beneficiaries in Florida. One of the first states to allow Medicaid reimbursements. Uber said it removes “transportation barriers.”

If you take a taxi to the ER can you get reimbursed by MSP? 

#528 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:38 PM

Speaking of mature drivers being the ride-hailing workforce: https://www.wptv.com...keep-you-young/

Even more interesting (in Florida):

If you take a taxi to the ER can you get reimbursed by MSP? 

Nope. And if you take an ambulance, they'll send you a bill ($100, I think).

#529 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:44 PM

Nope. And if you take an ambulance, they'll send you a bill ($100, I think).

$80 to the hospital, $50 for just attending.  It says it's the same for air ambulance - can you request that?  :lol:

https://www.islandhe...sportation-fees

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#530 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:36 PM

Uber might be self-correcting...

https://www.nytimes....r-earnings.html

"Uber set two dubious quarterly records on Thursday as it reported its results: its largest-ever loss, exceeding $5 billion, and its slowest-ever revenue growth."

Wait long enough, and maybe it won't matter.

#531 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:43 PM

oh well. who knows. amazon lost money forever then turned.

#532 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

The B.C. Utilities Commission has approved the new ICBC insurance policy for ride hailing companies. Of note, ride hailing companies will be required to own the policy, which means that drivers do not need to purchase any additional insurance products as had been previously stated. So one less barrier to entry for drivers.

https://theprovince....05-46da44a3a117

#533 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

^ Yes and no. I am assuming that individual drivers will still need to have insurance which reflects their use which means that they may need to upgrade from pleasure to work and the distance traveled changed a well. 

Even though ICBC will be requiring Uber and Lyft to buy the insurance, it sounds like the premium will be based on the number of drivers which means that somehow that cost will need to be passed on. After all, it is really Uber and Lyft that the Government wants to penalize and keep out of the market.

#534 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:43 AM

^ Yes and no. I am assuming that individual drivers will still need to have insurance which reflects their use which means that they may need to upgrade from pleasure to work and the distance traveled changed a well. 

Even though ICBC will be requiring Uber and Lyft to buy the insurance, it sounds like the premium will be based on the number of drivers which means that somehow that cost will need to be passed on. After all, it is really Uber and Lyft that the Government wants to penalize and keep out of the market.

The premium is based on kilometers driven, and given that km driven is already used to account for price of the trip, it should be pretty simple to add whatever percentage to the cost of the trip and pass that insurance premium cost onto the passenger.

As for the individual driver, I don't think that's correct. From what ICBC is saying, it doesn't sound like they would need to change their existing insurance product. The ride hailing insurance essentially takes the places of their existing personal insurance while they are working.

#535 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:29 AM

lyft to launch in vancouver before end of year.

https://bc.ctvnews.c...-year-1.4545814

#536 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:52 AM

A local ride-hailing company says it has beaten Uber and Lyft to the capital city market by targetting taxi drivers.

The app and company, called Lucky to Go, uses licenced taxi drivers who are already driving for other companies.

“What makes us so different from anybody else, is that I have opened up the platform to the taxis to be involved first,” said Mandeep Rana the company’s CEO.

https://www.cheknews...nd-lyft-596431/

Victoria Taxi told CHEK News while it doesn’t encourage its drivers to work for Lucky To Go, it isn’t stopping them from working for the company.

you know this model is perhaps not so bad.  it's a bit like expedia or hotel.com except that at least for now it does not bill the customer.  i assume they have to bill the driver somehow.

hotels can always opt out of booking sites but for the most part they have accepted it as reality.

#537 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:09 AM

^This app is a joke and in no way comparable to Uber/Lyft. It doesn't increase the number of rides available, it doesn't have the whole GPS deal (see where your driver is, know he is taking a reasonable route, etc.), it has no driver rating system, and it doesn't offer pay through the app.

This is on the order of someone scanning their 1995 World Book Encyclopedia, uploading it to a website, and claiming that they are offering an alternative to Wikipedia.

• VIResident likes this

#538 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:17 AM

^This app is a joke and in no way comparable to Uber/Lyft. It doesn't increase the number of rides available, it doesn't have the whole GPS deal (see where your driver is, know he is taking a reasonable route, etc.), it has no driver rating system, and it doesn't offer pay through the app.

This is on the order of someone scanning their 1995 World Book Encyclopedia, uploading it to a website, and claiming that they are offering an alternative to Wikipedia.

???  don't know.

Much like Uber and Lyft, the app will calculate your fare, track the driver via GPS navigation, invoice you at the end of the trip, and let you rate your ride.

On the flip side, drivers registered with the service can view customer details before deciding to accept a ride, and also have the chance to rate their passengers at the end of a trip.

https://www.victoria...xi-hailing-app/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 August 2019 - 10:18 AM.

#539 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

There's big differences between the first article you posted and the second one. The first one specifically says "Passengers pay the regular taxi fare and cannot pay through the app." Maybe I'll just have to try it out and see which is correct.

#540 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

There's big differences between the first article you posted and the second one. The first one specifically says "Passengers pay the regular taxi fare and cannot pay through the app." Maybe I'll just have to try it out and see which is correct.

Downloaded app. It looks like they send you an invoice through email for the ride (with a $0.50 surcharge)? It's not very clear, may just have to try it to figure it out. The website they link to doesn't say much of anything about the ride app. https://luckyucanada.com/

They have a Facebook page, but no FAQs or anything like that. https://www.facebook...05184740824962/

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users