Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
944 replies to this topic

#541 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:05 AM

ya there's lots of hyperbole (and spelling mistakes).

https://luckyucanada.com/services.html

#542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:49 AM

It still doesn’t address the issue of there not being sufficient capacity. Last Thursday I needed to catch a cab and the wait was 40+ minutes (and we all know if they admit to that, that’s the best case scenario). Ended up taking the bus and buying a case of beer for the mechanic who stood around waiting for me to arrive after their closing time.
  • VIResident likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#543 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:55 AM

Ended up taking the bus and buying a case of beer for the mechanic who stood around waiting for me to arrive after their closing time.

see that's where i think a true peer-to-peer system will emerge.  dial up a ride offer your price get it answered quick.

#544 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:52 PM

TappCar and Uride are seeking victoria drivers it looks like.

iTappCar is here to change the ride-for-hire industry in Western Canada.

We are proud to provide a new standard of service that is convenient, reliable and safe. TappCar offers an industry-leading mobile app, and our vehicles are guaranteed to be of comfortable size and quality. Our drivers are always properly insured and professionally licensed.n

Western Canada.

We are proud to provide a new standard of service that is convenient, reliable and safe. TappCar offers an industry-leading mobile app, and our vehicles are guaranteed to be of comfortable size and quality. Our drivers are always properly insured and professionally licensed.

#545 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

No limits on B.C. ride-hailing fleet sizes There won't be any limits on fleet sizes when companies like Uber and Lyft start operating in B.C. this fall. The Passenger Transportation Board could later impose a cap. Boundaries for app-based service will be larger than those used by cab companies right now.

#546 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:13 PM

No fleet-size limits or price surge restrictions for ride-hailing companies in B.C.

The final rules on geographic borders, supply caps and pricing are set for ride-hailing companies that want to apply to operate in B.C.

What the Passenger Transportation Board decided: There will be five large regional boundaries in B.C. for ride-hailing companies:

• Lower Mainland, Whistler — including Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Squamish-Lillooet

• Capital Regional District — excluding the Gulf Islands

• Vancouver Island — excluding the CRD

• Okanagan-Kootenay-Boundary-Cariboo — including the Central Okanagan, North Okanagan, Kootenay Boundary, Shuswap Cariboo, Thompson-Nicola and Columbia.

• B.C. North Central and all other regions of B.C.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 August 2019 - 02:17 PM.

#547 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:44 PM

So does that mean the Gulf Islands count as part of "all other regions of B.C."?

And, any reason why Vancouver Island is split into two regions, where the entire rest of the province is only three?

#548 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:00 PM

So does that mean the Gulf Islands count as part of "all other regions of B.C."?

And, any reason why Vancouver Island is split into two regions, where the entire rest of the province is only three?

perhaps there is some good reason to separate out the two major metropolitan areas.  

#549 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

Can't pick up at cruise ship port and I would imagine YVR will follow.

Edited by LJ, 19 August 2019 - 07:35 PM.

• rjag likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#550 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

Can't pick up at cruise ship port and I would imagine YVR will follow.

Yup, I was surprised that they didnt lock down YVR as that seems to be the case in most cities. Uber can drop off but not p/u...so they usually have workarounds. Frequent travellers like my sis-in-law develop a relationship with her Uber Black guy and he picks her up and books the trip just outside the zone. He did that dropping us at the Cruise Terminal in Ft Lauderdale last March, they arent allowed to drop at the boats so they either say they are hotel limos or in this case Juan was my cousin... the security guard had to really squint to see the family resemblance!!!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#551 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:28 AM

i could imagine someone doing a brisk business vancouver to whistler.  but yes not likely the airport they have a bus very integrated and branded http://www.yvr.ca/en...-buses/whistler

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 August 2019 - 02:30 AM.

#552 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:57 AM

Yup, I was surprised that they didnt lock down YVR as that seems to be the case in most cities. Uber can drop off but not p/u...so they usually have workarounds. Frequent travellers like my sis-in-law develop a relationship with her Uber Black guy and he picks her up and books the trip just outside the zone. He did that dropping us at the Cruise Terminal in Ft Lauderdale last March, they arent allowed to drop at the boats so they either say they are hotel limos or in this case Juan was my cousin... the security guard had to really squint to see the family resemblance!!!

Usually, airports establish relationships with can companies for the right to pick up passengers at the airport. Initially they honour those relationships when Uber/Lyft arrive but then Uber/Lyft offer the airport authorities a per pickup fee and then the authorities allow the cab company deals to lapse or have them amended.

#553 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:40 AM

Yup, I was surprised that they didnt lock down YVR as that seems to be the case in most cities. Uber can drop off but not p/u...so they usually have workarounds. ...

Usually, airports establish relationships with can companies for the right to pick up passengers at the airport. Initially they honour those relationships when Uber/Lyft arrive but then Uber/Lyft offer the airport authorities a per pickup fee and then the authorities allow the cab company deals to lapse or have them amended.

The loop at YVR is an absolute gong show on the best of days, especially with all of the construction right now. I wouldn't be surprised if a car share and ride hailing area pops up in the new parkade currently being built. That, or they'll send people to Templeton Station.

• rjag likes this

#554 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

For what it's worth, most major airports in Canada allow Uber pickup. Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa, which are the five largest airports in Canada not including Vancouver, all allow Uber on their properties. Generally speaking it's better from them to keep their passengers happy and create a dedicated ride-hailing space than to piss off their passengers and create more dangerous pickup situations.

#555 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

It was the case early on. But every major US airport I've flown to in the last two years has had a ride share pickup area.

• rjag likes this

#556 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:53 PM

“We do operate in places that have a lot of regulation and some places are difficult to get drivers through but we still think that despite Class 4 licensing and different steps like that to become a driver we still think we can make an impact,” said Ruberto.

Uber and Lyft have said they’re both not coming to Vancouver Island because the stricter regulations like mandatory Class 4 licences, would make it difficult to recruit enough drivers but that may not be the case.

ICBC says in August they saw an increased number of people taking the written Class 4 licence exam and Kate Wells of DriveWise driving school has also seen it and only expects it to get bigger.

https://www.cheknews...-island-601825/

#557 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:30 PM

And now the transportation minister has sent a letter to the independant transit commission saying she thinks they need to look at keeping taxi's viable by setting limits on the amount of Uber/Lyfts that could operate.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#558 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:23 AM

The entire purpose of Uber/Lyft is to provide a transportation platform with an algorithm that precisely matches demand with supply through rate adjustments that incentivize or disincentivize drivers. If you cap the number of drivers that essentially breaks the system.

Honestly, I’m tired of waiting 30-60 minutes for a taxi when I need it immediately, or being passed up downtown because I refuse to accept the driver’s demand for cash-only, or my destination is not to their liking. The system is broken, and now they want to break the solution.
  • Greg likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#559 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:56 AM

well said.

#560 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:07 AM

If Taxis were to disappear, nothing of value would be lost. Something would replace it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users