Photo

Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
596 replies to this topic

#561 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:26 AM

...because I refuse to accept the driver’s demand for cash-only...

This is an easy one to combat; just say you'll pay cash. When you get to your destination, tell them you're paying with a cc and if they don't want it, say thanks for the free ride. If a cab driver wants to pull the wool over your eyes, pull it right back over theirs. They have no right not to accept credit cards. Remind the driver that what he's doing is illegal if he or she gives you a hard time...that normally shuts them up.

#562 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,354 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

If Taxis were to disappear, nothing of value would be lost. Something would replace it.

Something already has, it's just the disappearing part is taking longer.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#563 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

This is an easy one to combat; just say you'll pay cash. When you get to your destination, tell them you're paying with a cc and if they don't want it, say thanks for the free ride. If a cab driver wants to pull the wool over your eyes, pull it right back over theirs. They have no right not to accept credit cards. Remind the driver that what he's doing is illegal if he or she gives you a hard time...that normally shuts them up.

The absolute last thing I want hanging over my head when I win that little battle is the irate driver whose fuse I just lit knowing where I live.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#564 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,311 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

The absolute last thing I want hanging over my head when I win that little battle is the irate driver whose fuse I just lit knowing where I live.

Remember though Mike, they're professionals with clean criminal records, in good health and class 4 licenses.  They won't be back to egg your house.  Right?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#565 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

Then get him to drop you off a few doors down.

Taxi drivers are bullies who use scare tactics and intimidation because they know most people will just buckle and get out of the cab. But really, they're terrified of being reported...people just rarely do it. So when you get in a cab and they refuse your destination, don't get out. Call their company and complain. You waste their time doing that, which costs them money. Eventually they'll buckle. Same with cash. Most cabs have the Taxi Bill of Rights right there on the window or head rest. It's not hard to say, "hey dummy, read this" to your driver.

It'll take a few extra minutes of your time and you'll have to get your back up, but believe me, it's nice to put them in their place every once in a while when you know how crummy they are to most people. Plus, the odd free ride is a great bonus  :1954_dancing:

#566 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

Personally – and I get what you're saying – I don't want to be in a vehicle driven by someone with no regard for his passengers. I'd rather walk, or figure something else out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#567 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:56 AM

Fair enough. To each their own, for sure.

I got pushed around by cabbies too many times in my younger days and eventually just said, screw this. So now, I take nothing. Even if they close out their meter before reaching the destination, I make a stink about it. I'm sure we've all been there...you're approaching the destination and the meter is at $12.50 or something but they close it out before you arrive, and they hand you the machine and it suddenly says $15.00. Like buddy...show me that on the meter. You can't? Free ride.

#568 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:04 AM

Oh yeah, been there done that.

For that very reason I don’t touch taxis when Uber is available. It’s such a simpler, more pleasant experience.

Know it all.

#569 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:14 AM

they also shut the meter at a point where they figure they are most likely to get decent a tip. so at $12.50 instead of $14.75.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 September 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#570 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

they also shut the meter at a point where they figure they are most likely to get decent a tip. so at $12.50 instead of $14.75.

Fore sure. There are two kinds of drivers; the jerks who will shut it off early and tack on a little extra to the bill, and the nicer guys who do this (shut it off early, not tack on anything extra). I certainly watch the meter until they shut it off for this reason.

But to Mike's point, no chance I'm taxing a taxi when there's an Uber. I did that once in Panama where Uber wasn't permitted to pickup at the airport and it was literally 3x the cost PLUS the cabbie put an extra passenger in the car...like WTF.

#571 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,058 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:19 AM

A coalition of nine taxi companies has asked British Columbia Supreme Court to quash policies it says were illegally created for ride-hailing companies but the province's transportation minister says she doesn't expect the legal challenge to halt the start of the services.

The Metro Vancouver cab companies say in their petition that the Passenger Transportation Board had no authority to set binding guidelines for ride-hailing services before hearing individual applications to determine whether they should be issued a licence.

https://www.timescol...apps-1.23937178

#572 FogPub

FogPub
  • 306 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:11 AM

In today's T-C there's also an article on how Seattle taxis are (sort-of) dealing with ride-sharing, and one thing in that article caught my eye: a taxi driver they interviewed paid $100,000 on the gray market for his taxi license.  Needless to say, he's a bit put out that it's not worth that much any more.

That's the ridiculous part.  If taxi licences are worth that much then obviously demand has far outrun supply, and if the license itself is being seen as an investment to be later sold at a profit then something's gone wrong with the licensing system.

I don't know if this same license shortage is the case in Victoria.

#573 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

In today's T-C there's also an article on how Seattle taxis are (sort-of) dealing with ride-sharing, and one thing in that article caught my eye: a taxi driver they interviewed paid $100,000 on the gray market for his taxi license.  Needless to say, he's a bit put out that it's not worth that much any more.

That's the ridiculous part.  If taxi licences are worth that much then obviously demand has far outrun supply, and if the license itself is being seen as an investment to be later sold at a profit then something's gone wrong with the licensing system.

I don't know if this same license shortage is the case in Victoria.

If you think that's crazy, there was a time not all that long ago when taxi licenses in Vancouver were worth up to a million dollars.

#574 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,058 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:30 AM

yes New York the same.

#575 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:32 PM

It’s the same story with fishing licenses. Guys were buying them up in the 80’s and 90’s for pennies on the dollar, then suddenly government intervention clamped supply and the value of licenses exploded. I know guys who’ve sold millions in licenses to large fisheries contractors.

When the government licenses something and controls supply, the price for a license on the open market (once a license is obtained from the government) can be magnitudes higher.

Know it all.

#576 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:13 PM

screenshot-twitter.com-2019.09.11-18_12_49.png

#577 FogPub

FogPub
  • 306 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:14 AM

Gotta say I'm with Bernie on this one - Uber's built up something of a lousy track record when it comes to underpaying their "contractors" (drivers).

#578 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,549 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:58 AM

Gotta say I'm with Bernie on this one - Uber's built up something of a lousy track record when it comes to underpaying their "contractors" (drivers).

The broader issue isn't just with Uber, it is the entire 'gig economy'. What Sanders and others are railing against is the idea of 'casual labour' where the employee sets the terms of their own work. There are hundreds of companies now doing this and they fall outside of current labour laws in most cases. Not only is there nobody to unionize, there is nobody to pay into EI, pension or retirement plans either. 

For many workers, the idea of being able to put some cash in your pocket on a Saturday night instead of sitting at home and watching TV alone is attractive and millions of people are doing it. The issues flew below the radar initially as casual work initially just supplemented a 9 to 5. Now a large portion of people are using casual work as their main source of income and forgoing steady jobs. I ran into a local chap on the weekend who is working 5 gig jobs. Absolutely loves it. He can work 80 hours a week or 0 hours a week if he wants to. In his case he sprints for 4-5 weeks and then does some travelling. I envy him.

The CPP board stated earlier this week that they were concerned that the rise of casual labour would undermine their ability to keep the plan viable (although many of us here would argue that the plan hasn't been viable for years). It isn't an issue that is going away, but the progressives have to be careful not to alienate their younger base by trying to regulate it to the point that it is unattractive. Saying that they want to protect worker rights sounds good, but if the net impact is smaller cheques for the casual workers then it will be a problem. 

Edited by spanky123, 12 September 2019 - 05:01 AM.

#579 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:19 AM

right. but there have been self employed and family businesses forever. I bet more than half of all restaurants have at least some non regulated labour. somehow we managed.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 September 2019 - 05:19 AM.

#580 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,549 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:46 AM

right. but there have been self employed and family businesses forever. I bet more than half of all restaurants have at least some non regulated labour. somehow we managed.

True but those employees have tax deducted at source and pay into EI, CPP, WCB, MSP, etc. They benefit from minimum wage and minimum hours of work regulations. They get vacation pay and have a tribunal to complain to if they feel as though they are mistreated. Gig workers get none of that.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users