Photo

Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
944 replies to this topic

#41 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

Why do we need a made in BC solution to something that is not a problem?
  • VicHockeyFan and sebberry like this

#42 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

As soon as the E&N commuter rail study with a deadline of mid-summer, 2017 is completed I'm sure they'll make great time with this one.

Don't forget the Site C review and the Massey Tunnel Replacement review!

• jonny likes this

#43 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

Why do we need a made in BC solution to something that is not a problem?

We don't but as long as we have a slim majority and risk of an election then we will never see Uber/Lyft as the taxi industry won't allow it and they control enough of the voting community in key ridings.

#44 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

We don't but as long as we have a slim majority and risk of an election then we will never see Uber/Lyft as the taxi industry won't allow it and they control enough of the voting community in key ridings.

Remember, though, that the BCLiberals had said they would bring Uber to BC before the end of the year if elected. Maybe just a carrot to dangle in the election, but what happens if Weaver tables legislation and it has Liberal support?

• jonny and thundergun like this

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

^ that’s an interesting thought!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

hmmmm, excellent point.  Anybody out there listening!!!!!!!!

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

The maddening thing here is it's not like they are considering allowing a HyperLoop.

TODAY, if I want to, I can start offering free rides to the ferry terminal.  For anyone, complete strangers.  In my car.  And it's absolutely legal and I'm insured.  And TODAY I can call my brother-in-law and ask him for a lift to Colwood.  And it's legal, and he's insured.    

It's absurd that just because a penny or a dollar moves between the passenger and the driver that we need a whole slate of regulations beyond driver licensing and car insurance that we already have in place.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 October 2017 - 06:15 PM.

• Jackerbie likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

The maddening thing here is it's not like they are considering allowing a HyperLoop.

TODAY, if I want to, I can start offering free rides to the ferry terminal.  For anyone, complete strangers.  In my car.  And it's absolutely legal and I'm insured.  And TODAY I can call my brother-in-law and ask him for a lift to Colwood.  And it's legal, and he's insured.    

It's absurd that just because a penny or a dollar moves between the passenger and the driver that we need a whole slate of regulations beyond driver licensing and car insurance that we already have in place.

I often car pool with friends and perhaps potential friends who are willing to give me gas money to get me where I want to go.

By the way...I thought you didn't drive.

#49 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

Dr. Hara, the man the NDP hired to do this all important study, costing $165,000, is the same Dr. Hara who did the exact same report for the City of Vancouver in 2015. This will be the easiest money the guy ever makes. Take your previous study, pay $150 for a new cover (don't spend $200,000 on a new cover like Trudeau/Morneau did for the budget), and you are done my friend. 

I love politics.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and Jackerbie like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#50 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

How could they taxi industry control that many votes? There are reportedly only around 1,500 taxis in Vancouver. How many taxi drivers are even Canadian and can vote?

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...ities-1.1972627

This is all about money. A taxi license in Vancouver sells for over half a million dollars. That's insane. The government makes a killing selling licenses.

https://www.bcbusine...r-canadian-city

I hate supply management.
  • thundergun likes this

#51 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:36 AM

^ And most of those 1,500 taxis are owned by Indo-Canadians. There are 250K+ Indo-Canadians in Greater Vancouver.

Taxi licenses used to sell for a lot. According to a taxi cab owner I spoke with the other day they are pretty much worthless now.

I wonder if this is a ruse by the NDP though. Weaver is saying he will introduce his own bill on Thursday. Perhaps the NDP plan to vote against it to keep their Indo-Canadian vote happy but are assuming that the Liberals will pass it anyways.

Edited by spanky123, 17 October 2017 - 05:39 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and thundergun like this

#52 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

How could they taxi industry control that many votes? There are reportedly only around 1,500 taxis in Vancouver. How many taxi drivers are even Canadian and can vote?

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...ities-1.1972627

This is all about money. A taxi license in Vancouver sells for over half a million dollars. That's insane. The government makes a killing selling licenses.

https://www.bcbusine...r-canadian-city

I hate supply management.

that is interesting, I wonder what the stats are for Greater Victoria?  I am assuming it has to be similar

I am shocked at the red tape and bureaucracy, I can understand why cabs are so expensive, at least in Vancouver.  I can also understand why there are so many unlicensed cabs in Victoria now.  I have a service I call to drop be at the airport for about 1/2 the cab price

• jonny likes this

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:46 AM

I am shocked at the red tape and bureaucracy, I can understand why cabs are so expensive, at least in Vancouver.  I can also understand why there are so many unlicensed cabs in Victoria now.  I have a service I call to drop be at the airport for about 1/2 the cab price

Indeed.  There are several operations working weekends in WestShore now.

I mean, consider the comparison between cab regulations, and bike regulations.  A bike company just came here, threw down 150 bikes for hire and away they go.  No taxes (paid or collected), no permits, no licensing, no regulations.  Riders are expected to follow the rules of the road, just as if they were private riders.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 October 2017 - 06:48 AM.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:59 AM

What’s particularly frustrating is cabbies no longer accept flat rates. I’ve been to and from the airport via cab recently and it’s fully metred. In every city I’ve visited in this country the rate has been set. In St John’s a guy at the airport even called out the flat rate to the cabbie when we identified our destination.

And cabbies expect you to tip now, too, so you’re not just paying $65 to get to the airport, they like you to pad the meter. Oh, and if you don’t have cash expect a less than enthusiastic send off.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:12 AM

Oh, and if you don’t have cash expect a less than enthusiastic send off.

Absolutely, that's sadly the case more than half the time.  Cab companies could buck up a bit here and pay their guys out for those fares daily, all they need is a bit of a float.

#56 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:15 AM

Absolutely, that's sadly the case more than half the time.  Cab companies could buck up a bit here and pay their guys out for those fares daily, all they need is a bit of a float.

I don't get why people need to be paid daily. If your finances are so tight that you can't wait 2 weeks... sheesh.

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

I don't get why people need to be paid daily. If your finances are so tight that you can't wait 2 weeks... sheesh.

Well, not to broad brush here, but have you looked at some of the cab drivers?   These guys are not all completely normal.

• Matt R. likes this

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

But Uber drivers! Now that's a bunch you have to look out for, right?

• jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't cab drivers pay a flat fee to rent the cab for their shift and then they are responsible for cleaning and gas at the end of their shift?  Everything above that is theirs to keep

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:26 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't cab drivers pay a flat fee to rent the cab for their shift and then they are responsible for cleaning and gas at the end of their shift?  Everything above that is theirs to keep

I believe that to be true in most cases.  They might also pay a flat fee plus mileage for some wear and tear.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users