Photo

Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
940 replies to this topic

#61 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

^ And most of those 1,500 taxis are owned by Indo-Canadians. There are 250K+ Indo-Canadians in Greater Vancouver.

250k Indo-Canadians, and a maybe a few thousand drive cabs. Who cares? That has got to be the smallest voting block in the province. 

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

Trevena is now suggesting it may not happen before spring.

“We’ve got six pieces of legislation that we have to potentially modernize, one going back to 1924. Things were very different in 1924 than they are in 2017. So I think that it’s a very reasonable approach to look at what we’ve got now before we rush into the next step.”

She admits she hasn’t read the report Hara put together for the City of Vancouver two years ago.

“Because what happens in Vancouver is not the whole province –although Vancouver may think it is sometimes. We’ve got to look at what’s happening in Prince George, in Campbell River, in Quesnel. We’ve got to look at right around the province,’ she says.

http://www.news1130....ection-promise/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

Green Party leader Andrew Weaver isn’t happy with the announcement.

“I am very disappointed that the government will not keep its promise to bring ridesharing to British Columbians by the end of this year,” said Weaver.

“On Thursday, for the third time, I will introduce legislation that will enable ridesharing to finally operate in a regulated fashion in BC. I hope both parties will take this opportunity to engage in a substantive debate on the details of this issue so that we can move past rhetoric and vague statements and finally get to work delivering for British Columbians.”

Somehow I feel this is not the one issue the Liberals will jump in on.  They want voters back in South Surrey, not more alienated.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

If it could be made a confidence vote, they would, lol!

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#65 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

What cities is Uber looking to set up in?  Isn't it just Victoria and Vancouver?  if so who cares about the rest of the province

#66 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

What cities is Uber looking to set up in?  Isn't it just Victoria and Vancouver?  if so who cares about the rest of the province

It's bigger than just Uber, they aren't the only rideshare company. There are already homegrown imitations operating in Vancouver, and I suspect in other places as well. Some of the small town mayors/councils have been enthusiastic about ridesharing, as it would basically serve as a de facto taxi industry.

#67 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

250k Indo-Canadians, and a maybe a few thousand drive cabs. Who cares? That has got to be the smallest voting block in the province. 

When you consider that those 250K are concentrated in a few ridings, they are in fact one of the largest voter blocks and they tend to vote in higher %'s.

• jonny likes this

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

It's bigger than just Uber, they aren't the only rideshare company. There are already homegrown imitations operating in Vancouver, and I suspect in other places as well. Some of the small town mayors/councils have been enthusiastic about ridesharing, as it would basically serve as a de facto taxi industry.

Ya, that's true for sure.  I can be a part-time Uber driver in Williams Lake, ya I might only make 5 trips a week, but it's make a trip or watch Big Bang Theory re-runs.  I'll go for a drive for some cash.

• Mike K. and Jackerbie like this

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

Also, even in regions like the Westshore where you literally cannot.get.a.cab at some hours of the early evening or when the weather's sour. Waiting around for an hour is ludicrous, so if Uber allows five guys to tap into that demand, even for a few hours on a Saturday, society wins.
  • VicHockeyFan and qwerty like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

Somehow I feel this is not the one issue the Liberals will jump in on.  They want voters back in South Surrey, not more alienated.

Meh. The Libs would have potentially 4 years to build that support back up from some other position. They should be positioning themselves as the forward thinking, hipper party, while they should be painting the NDP as sticks in the mud stuck in the old ways and blatantly pandering to a small special interest group. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

Haha! In my post above Uber was autocorrected to AirBNB somehow. I’ve edited that post.
  • Greg likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

No they aren't the only one, but they control the vast majority of the market.  As of August 31, 2017 they control 74.3% of the ride share market in the US.

Its so big elsewhere that people from out of town often tell me, "lets grab an Uber" Uber this, Uber that.  What do you mean you don't have Uber?   Its actually some what embarrassing

I am looking forward to Andrew Weaver's bill this week.  I don' think he realizes how much power he really has.

• Greg and jonny like this

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

I think it might be eclipsed eventually by a peer to peer system. I negotiate with drivers or put out bids. And we make payments among ourselves. And the app takes no money or very little and really no off ads.

#74 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:48 PM

The driver in the tragic attack in New York today was an Uber driver.

https://www.nytimes....uck-attack.html

This should set things back a few more years in BC.

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:01 PM

Toronto-based InstaRyde wants to disrupt the Canadian ride-sharing market A uniquely Canadian company entering a near-ubiquitous industry

https://mobilesyrup....sharing-market/

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

Ride-hailing service Lyft expands outside U.S. for 1st time to take on Uber in Canada
Lyft vs Uber: 2 ride-hailing services start their Canadian battle on Toronto streets

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...iling-1.4443538

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 December 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#77 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

https://arstechnica....v-uber-lawsuit/

newly released letter has formally acknowledged what was only briefly stated last month in a San Francisco courtroom: federal prosecutors have an open criminal investigation into Uber.

Disruptive business model, indeed.

#78 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

"We need a Made in BC solution"

God help me.

https://globalnews.c...ings-vancouver/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#79 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

Used Uber Black 4 times last week in Florida and was very impressed. from the text showing the driver picture and vehicle make and license to the very reasonable rates and on time arrival. 2 x 30 min rides at 20km was $30.

• jonny likes this

#80 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

Used Uber Black 4 times last week in Florida and was very impressed. from the text showing the driver picture and vehicle make and license to the very reasonable rates and on time arrival. 2 x 30 min rides at 20km was $30.

So what you're clearly saying is that the experience could have benefited from more government regulation?

• VicHockeyFan, rjag and Greg like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users