Photo

Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
944 replies to this topic

#101 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

I can confirm the licenses themselves are dirt cheap when issued by a municipality. But the industry itself forces up the value.

It's a bloody cartel. Those supporting the "taxi industry" on this issue support a shady, inefficient, bad for consumers, cartel.
  • VicHockeyFan, Greg and tjv like this

#102 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

It's a bloody cartel. Those supporting the "taxi industry" on this issue support a shady, inefficient, bad for consumers, cartel.

The reason why the "cartel" pushes up prices is because the province limits the number of licenses. Same reason why bitcoin is $15K!

Edited by spanky123, 14 January 2018 - 12:00 PM.

#103 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

I wonder how many of those folks objecting would want to ban Fedex/Purolator etc as thats a similar situation where a private company saw a need and took on a government regulated organization (the US Post Office/Canada Post etc) and provided a next day service for parcels. Now we see them working in harmony with each other and as the industry matures there will be mergers like Purolator/Loomis etc

• VicHockeyFan, Greg, jonny and 1 other like this

#104 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:40 PM

The reason why the "cartel" pushes up prices is because the municipality limits the number of licenses. Same reason why bitcoin is $15K!

You really think the taxi cartel has requested many new licenses? As if.

#105 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

Uber is far from a new idea, and is really just a formalization of the loooonnnng established "Gypsy Cab", a decades old regular fixture in Manhattan and other big cities.

Gypsy cabs are really just a lo-tech Uber in that you cut your deal directly with the driver, who doesn't have a taxi license.

New Yorkers themselves are the primary users of gypsy cabs (Alicia Keys even sings about it!), as officials often warn tourists away from using them ... New Yorkers are a little bolder I guess.

Often the gypsy cab driver will cut multiple deals with multiple people, and you'll ride together (for example) from LaGuardia into Manhattan, often in a big van, or a limo.

You'll do all of this for less than a third of what a cab or an Uber costs for the same ride from La Guardia to Manhattan.

My last gypsy cab picked me up at LaGuardia and dropped me off in front of my Manhattan hotel for $15.00.

So in New York, I'd never take a regular cab ... and would only take an Uber if I couldn't get a gypsy cab.

BTW, you usually don't "ride hail" a Gypsy unless you're a New Yorker with the drivers phone number. You've got to keep your eye out at the airport, or in front or large downtown hotels for the drivers, who are usually out of their cars and approaching potential customers directly.

Victoria and Vancouver are 50 years behind the times currently as relates to taxis and ride sharing ... so any improvement at all will be a 100% improvement to the current state of affairs.

Ideally, and lowering in cost as you move down the list:

• We'd have licensed taxis for the less adventurous among us.
  • We'd have Uber for the more adventurous among us.
  • We'd have Gypsy Cabs for the most adventurous among us.

#106 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

You really think the taxi cartel has requested many new licenses? As if.

The number of taxi licenses is set provincially through the PTB. A taxi company is free to request new licenses and new operators are free to request to start new taxi companies.

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

The number of taxi licenses is set provincially through the PTB. A taxi company is free to request new licenses and new operators are free to request to start new taxi companies.

And when they do, the existing companies and licensees lodge opposition.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#108 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

Mr. Bluebird and Mr. Yellow Cab have zero vested interest in a bunch of new licenses being issued. The cab companies love their oligopolistic positions.

#109 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

Mr. Bluebird and Mr. Yellow Cab have zero vested interest in a bunch of new licenses being issued. The cab companies love their oligopolistic positions.

Not only that they have a monopoly and we know what kind of money that involves.

#110 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

The taxi industry is up in arms because their government controlled monopoly is crumbling before their very eyes. Full stop. 

Look, if Uber drivers don't want to earn whatever money it is they make working for Uber, they should go work somewhere else. I have yet to meet a miserable Uber driver. 

Well, to be fair, if you did meet an Uber driver who admitted to being miserable you'd probably downrate him which would affect his bottom line so there's a real incentive to put on a happy face for the customers, no matter how shitty your situation.

• jonny likes this

#111 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

Well, to be fair, if you did meet an Uber driver who admitted to being miserable you'd probably downrate him which would affect his bottom line so there's a real incentive to put on a happy face for the customers, no matter how shitty your situation.

Yet another way in which the Uber experience is better than a taxi!  :)

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

@MillenialDowntownBarStars, we see several of your posts that are in "pending" mode until we approve them.

Calling people names is not a way you enter a discussion forum. Come back with something reasonable and we'll reconsider your account as you sound like someone that has a lot to say that's of value, but holy smokes, you have to tone it down a bit.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#113 MillenialDowntownBarStars

MillenialDowntownBarStars
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

Big words, you learn that at UVic? You just want to get a cab for 50% off. It's all about money, not service, not technology, not innovation. You just blew $200.00 downtown but won't spend $20.00 on a $20.00 cab ride after and you don't want to be expects to tip either. What are you really? Shouldn't anyone, any adult listen to your self-absorbed sniveling? Go down to the cops and get your chiefs and spend a night being a cabbie and putting up with sweethearts like you.

#114 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

Thank you for defining customer service for us in this thread. 

#115 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

Price aside I love the live tracking and technology in general that Uber offers. I use it in Croatia all the time. It is nice when you have to catch a 6 am flight that you know at 4:30 am that the car picking you up is moving towards you in real time. With Taxis I always have this sense of uncertainty until they show up.

• rjag and jonny like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#116 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

true, but the driver also rates you so if you are drunk or in a pissy mood you get a low rating.  Too low a rating and Uber ignores your request for pickup

generally in a taxi I don't really talk to them other than to give my destination and maybe if I have been out of town did it snow, etc but that's about it

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Big words, you learn that at UVic? You just want to get a cab for 50% off. It's all about money, not service, not technology, not innovation. You just blew $200.00 downtown but won't spend $20.00 on a $20.00 cab ride after and you don't want to be expects to tip either. What are you really? Shouldn't anyone, any adult listen to your self-absorbed sniveling? Go down to the cops and get your chiefs and spend a night being a cabbie and putting up with sweethearts like you.

Ok, we'll approve this one post because it's the least unnecessarily combative of the several you posted. But tone it down, or your account gets closed and that's of no benefit to you or your ready and willing audience on this forum.

So ok, fair enough, millennials spend $200 at a bar and don't like spending $20 on cab fare, in your opinion. So why are you doing this job if it causes you so much grief? Why not find employment elsewhere?

• MillenialDowntownBarStars likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#118 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

Big words, you learn that at UVic? 

Which words were big?

You just want to get a cab for 50% off.

I actually don't want a cab at all. I want to join the 21st century like the rest of the western world who is currently enjoying services like Uber and Lyft. 

It's all about money, not service, not technology, not innovation. 

Companies like Uber and Lyft offer better service, technology and more innovation than cab companies have ever dreamt of. What's wrong with it being about money, anyway? Aren't cab drivers in it for the money? Or is driving a cab all about the joy of providing a much needed service to people?

You just blew $200.00 downtown but won't spend $20.00 on a $20.00 cab ride after and you don't want to be expects to tip either.

I rarely spend $200 when I go downtown. I usually spend much less, and if I'm going to drink, I often take the bus at least one way. When I take a cab, I almost always tip.

What's wrong with wanting to pay less? When you go to the store, do you spend more for your purchases than you have to?

What are you really? 

I'm a human. Really. 

Shouldn't anyone, any adult listen to your self-absorbed sniveling? 

I don't know what this means. Is this actually a question?

Go down to the cops and get your chiefs and spend a night being a cabbie and putting up with sweethearts like you.

Go to the cops and get my chiefs? What's that code for?

So, I gather you are a taxi cab driver. I'm not surprised that you are upset that your industry is being turned on its head. Your industry has enjoyed having little to no competition since the late 19th century. Your industry got complacent, and is now chasing a far superior service. Change is hard. Too boot, Uber is siphoning off the most profitable portions of the taxi industry - young people going out downtown, going out on dates, etc. You survive off of the young millennials you seem to hate. I would suggest it's either time to get with the times (the people want Uber) or find a different job. 

• Rob Randall, lanforod and shoeflack like this

#119 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

I'd like to see more Cab drivers get on here and post their position on this, but MillenialDowntownBarStars just scores a point in favour of Uber/Lyft, not the Cab monopoly.

• jonny likes this

#120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

Here's the crux of the problem, folks.  Well over half the adult population knows how to drive, it's not all that hard.  So it should not be a surprise that when you make it easy and inexpensive, and convenient for a small portion of these people to take up a relatively simple part-time and very flexible job, using their own car they are very familiar with, they are gonna do it. 

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users