Photo

Trudeau's small business tax changes

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#61 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:27 PM

Yes and no to the double taxation angle. It's not purely double taxation because of the dividend gross up and credit mechanism, with offsets most of the double taxation.

What do you mean? Taxes are an annual thing. A tax liability doesn't carry over from one year to another.

Income earned that stays in the business in year 1 is taxed as corporate income. If that money is then paid to the owner as salary in year 2, it reduces the corporate income tax liability in year 2. That was the senario, as I understood it, that Mike was talking about.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#62 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:13 PM

[Heavily edited] ^ This.

If we had a flat tax then this wouldn't be an issue either as there would be no advantage to tax splitting. What we have is a continued track of bad tax strategy after bad tax strategy. Various levels of Government keep trying to raise taxes on one segment of the population and then are shocked when they adopt strategies to minimize that tax. If the various levels of Government spent half the tie focusing on managing costs as they do trying to find ways of paying for increased costs then we would all be better off.

• lanforod likes this

#63 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:54 PM

Income earned that stays in the business in year 1 is taxed as corporate income. If that money is then paid to the owner as salary in year 2, it reduces the corporate income tax liability in year 2. That was the senario, as I understood it, that Mike was talking about.

I see. You're talking cash flow vs accounting income. 

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

And what Trudeau is saying now is if you want to keep that already taxed money in your company and do anything with it other than let the value slip away with inflation, he's coming for you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

Canadian centre for policy alternatives is not exactly an objective source on this topic is it mr issit?

Does that mean there are sources that are exacly objective? :-)

For the record, you are exactly wrong on the Isitt thing. I ain't no politician, and that should be quite obvious to all. Ciao.
  • RFS likes this

#66 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

Good comment today. The Libs are out-of-touch with small biz despite ongoing rhetoric about how small biz is so important. Have any of them ever owned a small enterprise?

https://www.thestar....-editorial.html

#67 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

You know, a lot of us tried to warn you of the perils of electing Trudeau and Horgan. Don't act all surprised and offended now.

• spanky123, Matt R. and tjv like this

#68 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

You know, a lot of us tried to warn you of the perils of electing Trudeau and Horgan. Don't act all surprised and offended now.

They are working hand in hand. Trudeau is forcing small business owners to eliminate income splitting and savings for retirement while Horgan is raising the top tax rate to doubly whack them.

#69 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

Horgan is raising the top BC rate right after Trudeau raised the top federal rate. Now, across the country, people are giving over 50% of their income to the government. That's fundamentally broken. 

• sebberry likes this

#70 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

Horgan is raising the top BC rate right after Trudeau raised the top federal rate. Now, across the country, people are giving over 50% of their income to the government. That's fundamentally broken. 

I started taking significant time of work last year as a result of taxes and will only continue to do so in a larger quantity of time. Just no point in working hard or driving out to Sooke to do a mere posting after expenses and taxes, so when people from Sooke call me for such a service these days I politely reject the business.

• sebberry likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#71 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

Sorry... aww! You poor $200K plus sole prop. Muffin, get over it. Just increase you expense to reduce your income like everyone else does.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#72 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

Also... if you are one of the few honest realtor's actually reporting AND paying their GST... congrats.

In my line if work realtor's have a VERY bad name.

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

I started taking significant time of work last year as a result of taxes and will only continue to do so in a larger quantity of time. Just no point in working hard or driving out to Sooke to do a mere posting after expenses and taxes, so when people from Sooke call me for such a service these days I politely reject the business.

Why not hire a chump realtor out that way to go sign it up for $100?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

I started taking significant time of work last year as a result of taxes and will only continue to do so in a larger quantity of time. 

Work smarter, not harder.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#75 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

^But don't make yourself out to be a "victim".

#76 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

Also... if you are one of the few honest realtor's actually reporting AND paying their GST... congrats.

If you truly believe that the money Realtors make is too high then sign up as one. It isn't that hard (no offense to my Realtor buddies) and you too can collect easy money and properly file your GST returns!

#77 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

Very true, I know a lot of people getting ready to sell their houses and after finding out the realtor commissions they are telling realtors to take a hike.  Why would anyone in their right mind pay 34k to sell an average $1 million house?

Still happy at how much I saved by not dealing with a realtor

#78 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

^ Well my brother had a $500K house a few years ago and thought that he could save a few bucks by selling it himself. After he wasted a few weeks dealing with all of the con artists trying to scoop the FSBO property he finally relented and hired a Realtor. The house was sold within 30 days for $30K more than he was asking himself. Paid the Realtor fees and then some!

Different times I admit in terms of supply and demand but in a balanced market people aren't always lined up at the FSBO houses.

Edited by spanky123, 19 September 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#79 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

Sorry... aww! You poor $200K plus sole prop. Muffin, get over it. Just increase you expense to reduce your income like everyone else does.

I will tell you the problem. There reaches a point where you start having to pay the Gov't 50%+ of everything you make. If you start a business and fail that is 100% on you. For people who have already "made it", the numbers don't make sense anymore. Why take a chance? If you need something to do then you just start a lifestyle business that employs a couple of people (instead of a couple of hundred people) and makes enough money to cover costs. If you have money to invest put it into something safe rather than into business investment.

Now that may sound all fine and good because in many people's minds there are knocking the wealthy down to their level. That doesn't happen though. The wealthy already have their money, all that is happening is that job growth stalls, wages stagnate and Government tax revenue actually decreases. 

Don't believe me? Every month the amount of money held by large companies and the wealthy sitting in 'cash' on the sidelines increases while the debt held by the working class also increases. That is extremely inefficient and worsens that gap between the rich and the poor.

#80 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

If you truly believe that the money Realtors make is too high then sign up as one. It isn't that hard (no offense to my Realtor buddies) and you too can collect easy money and properly file your GST returns!

Did I say anything about how much they make? No I said about them on a higher then normal percentage not paying there taxes. Just because you start your own business diesnt mean you should be "tax exempt".

I am surprised, closing some loop holes people are up in arms about. The number of employers out there not turning over trust funds... A--O-KAY!

I am sure everyone of you want to know that when you go into a store that you tax at the till or that employees source deductions are being sent in.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users