The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21572 replies to this topic

#20121 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,983 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:41 PM

When someone turns in an item they do not ask for details and contact info?

#20122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:43 PM

Sounds like there’s some sort of an incident requiring a heavy police response in the Highlands at Finlayson Arm Road and Millstream.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20123 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,983 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:44 PM

Dynamic police intervention?
  • Mike K. likes this

#20124 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 05:38 PM

Finlayson Arm Road break and enter

West Shore

2023-05-25 - File #2023-10057

On May 25, 2023, just before 1:00 p.m., West Shore RCMP were dispatched to a break and enter in progress at a rural residence in the 800 block of Finlayson Arm Road, Highlands. West Shore RCMP frontline officers responded immediately due to the nature of the report. Police determined an unknown individual had been discovered inside the residence by a returning homeowner. There was a concern the intruder may have been armed with a firearm inside the residence.  There was a heavy police response, including the RCMP Emergency Response Team, Police Service Dog and other support units.

At 4:40 p.m. the RCMP Emergency Response Team, with the assistance of a police negotiator, arrested a 20 year old male for break and enter.  The suspect was arrested without incident after he left the residence.  Police also recovered a firearm inside the residence.  The suspect is known to police and remains in custody pending a court appearance on May 26, 2023.

Released by

Cpl. Chris Dovell
Client Services NCO
West Shore RCMP

#20125 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:57 AM

Investigators Ask For Help Identifying Suspect From Assault 

Date: Friday, May 26, 2023 

File: #23-14619 

Victoria, BC –Investigators are asking for the public’s assistance in identifying a suspect from a downtown assault. 

On April 20 at approximately 9:30 a.m., a suspect assaulted an individual shortly after they exited a BC Transit bus in the 1300-block of Douglas Street. The suspect is described as 55 to 65 years old, 6 feet 2 inches tall with a large build, grey beard and carrying a cane. A photograph of the suspect is below. 

bus.jpg

This file remains under investigation. If you recognize this suspect, or have any information about this incident, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit a tip online at Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers. 

#20126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 08:02 AM

Reveen?

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 08:16 AM

Downtown has become so bad now that you even have to watch out for assaults from cane-wielding seniors!

• Matt R. likes this

#20128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,983 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 08:24 AM

That's good camera footage, finally. 

Samaritans could not hold down a 60-year-old?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 May 2023 - 08:25 AM.

#20129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 09:23 AM

That’s a phone camera, I think.

This is what we get from BCT:

IMG_9940.png
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#20130 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 03:20 PM

Witnesses With Video Sought In Downtown Assault And Mischief 

Date: Friday, May 26, 2023 

File: #23-18462 

Victoria, BC – Investigators are looking for witnesses with video to come forward after a suspect was arrested for assault and mischief downtown. 

Shortly after 8 a.m. on May 24, officers responded to a report of a disturbance in the 1200-block of Douglas Street. Officers determined that the suspect had assaulted a passerby and smashed the window of a vehicle that was stopped in traffic. 

The suspect was arrested at the scene and held for court. The victim was transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.  

Investigators believe there was someone in the area who filmed the incident on their phone. Investigators are asking anyone who has video footage of the incident to call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. 

Further details about this investigation cannot be shared at this time as the matter is now before the courts. 

#20131 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 03:30 PM

Screenshot 2023-05-26 16.25.39.png

Facebook:

Screenshot 2023-05-26 16.23.37.png

Screenshot 2023-05-26 16.23.50.png

#20132 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 06:53 PM

WANTED - Curtis Gilfillan

2023-05-17 - File: #2023-8160

The West Shore RCMP are seeking the public’s assistance in locating a man wanted for multiple warrants.

Curtis Gilfillan is wanted for the following offences:

Break and Enter with intent to commit an indictable offence;
Mischief Under $5000
Unlawful Possession of Identity Documents
Unauthorized Possession of a Weapon

Wanted man arrested

West Shore

2023-05-26 13:14 PDT

File # 2023-8160

On May 17 2023, the West Shore RCMP published a media release seeking information on Curtis Gilfillan who was wanted on several warrants for his arrest. On May 24, Curtis Gilfillan turned himself into police. The original post has since been removed. 

Released by

Cpl. Nancy Saggar

Media Relations Officer
West Shore RCMP

#20133 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:04 PM

Sword brandishing suspect arrested

West Shore

2023-05-26 - File # 2023-10088

On May 25 2023, the West Shore RCMP responded to a report of a disturbance involving a BC Transit bus and a suspect who was denied entry onto the bus. The disturbance took place near the intersection of Goldstream Rd and Sooke Rd in Colwood.

Police were advised the suspect attempted to board the bus near this location but was denied entry due to the presence of the sword. The suspect then smashed an outside window of the bus before leaving on foot. Frontline officers responded to the area immediately and located the suspect in a nearby parking lot.

The suspect was arrested without further incident. Upon searching the suspect, police also located a replica handgun in the suspect’s waist band. Police determined the sword was plastic but was used in a fashion that appeared real. The suspect was arrested for Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose, Possession of a Concealed Weapon, Mischief Under $5000 and Breach of Release Order as he was currently bound by conditions to not possess weapons including firearms.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 19.56.01.png

The suspect who is identified as a 19-year-old male resident of Saanich was held in custody to appear before court on May 26th. "We want to thank the bus driver for calling police right away, their actions were instrumental in keeping the passengers onboard safe," said Cpl. Nancy Saggar, West Shore RCMP.

Released by

Cpl. Nancy Saggar
Media Relations Officer
West Shore RCMP

#20134 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 04:58 AM

Arson destroys children's playground in Duncan

arson.png

A children’s playground in Duncan has been destroyed by arson.

The Duncan Fire Department and North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP responded to the fire at 2:40 a.m. Friday to find a play structure at Centennial Park on First Street completely engulfed in flames.

“I was so disappointed to arrive and find our popular children’s park was on fire,” said Const. Alex Santaga. “This is a big hit for the community as we come into our summer months when this park is normally very busy.”

Police said if people live in the area and have cameras on their property that captured anyone walking in the area between 2 and 2:40 a.m. to contact the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP.

Morehttps://www.timescol...-duncan-7056598

#20135 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 08:10 AM

Sword brandishing suspect arrested

West Shore

2023-05-26 - File # 2023-10088

Police were advised the suspect attempted to board the bus near this location but was denied entry due to the presence of the sword. The suspect then smashed an outside window of the bus before leaving on foot. Frontline officers responded to the area immediately and located the suspect in a nearby parking lot.

Upon searching the suspect, police also located a replica handgun in the suspect’s waist band. 

Screenshot 2023-05-27 09.05.35.png

Next court June 8.

#20136 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 06:15 PM

-When I saw the intro to the story, I heard "not guilty" and thought, OK, it's a mental illness case, he'll be out of circulation for a few years in forensic hospital hopefully.

But no...of course the innocent man is a frequent flyer with more stuff before the courts...if you want to see a photo look up "Nate Sprout" on FB. Pretty sure it's him but didn't want to post it just in case.

‘No faith in the justice system’: Campbell River guard speaks out after suspect acquitted

A Campbell River security guard who was stabbed inside the city’s Walmart a-year-and-a-half ago is speaking out after the man accused of nearly killing him was found not guilty.

He and his wife Leanne were working there together as security guards and she was following a man who had previously been banned from the store and who she believed was in the process of shoplifting.

Leanne Szasz Beaven says she had told the man to leave the store and he responded by showing her a knife.

Then as she came up an aisle she saw a man attacking her husband after the two had come face-to-face.

The suspect ran off and Beaven can be heard saying “I’m cut, call an ambulance.”

Ron, who was wearing a protective vest, had been stabbed six times in his left arm and collar bone.

Screenshot 2023-05-28 18.57.48.png

The blood was seen dripping out the arm of his shirt.

“By the time I got there he had a hold of me in a lock and he just went to town on my arm, stabbed the hell out of my arm, hit my main artery and I could feel myself going down and starting to fade and finally he let go of me and I said to the wife, ‘call the ambulance,'” Ron told CHEK News on Sunday.

Screenshot 2023-05-28 18.56.00.png

She says two women, one a Walmart employee and former first responder, the other an emergency room nurse began caring for him immediately until an ambulance arrived.

Ron spent four days in the hospital and still suffers from nerve damage in his arm.

The suspect Nathan Sprout was arrested later that day and went to trial last October charged with assault with a weapon, aggravated assault, and robbery.

Sprout was known to the Beavens and several witnesses testified in Campbell River Supreme Court, but in March of this year the judge ruled Sprout was not guilty on all charges.

The Crown appealed, but the judge made the same ruling just last week.

“He’s sitting right across from me, looking right at me like it’s a big joke, because I couldn’t really identify him but the wife knew who the hell he was,” said Ron.

The Beavens say Sprout was found not guilty because the judge-only trial concluded there was enough reasonable doubt that it was him.

They say the man who attacked Ron was wearing a wig and COVID mask at the time.

They’ve both taken on a few more security jobs since his recovery but both of them are undergoing counselling for PTSD.

#20137 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 06:28 PM

Canada does NOT have a justice system. It has a legal system. There's a world of difference.

• Love the rock likes this

#20138 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,983 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 03:57 AM

I don’t know. It sounds like the victim could not swear under oath that he was 100% certain of the identity of the person or that the accused was the person that attacked him.

And the accused never admitted guilt.

In that case you have to allow the reasonable doubt.

Don’t forget, over 95% of cases do wind up with a guilty plea and conviction so this case is the exception.

I think what Nparker doesn’t like is the sentencing after the guilty finding.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 May 2023 - 03:59 AM.

#20139 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 10:12 AM

I'm interested in what led the RCMP to Mr. Sprout later that same day and the details of the charge approval process w/Crown Counsel. Was it a case of "round up the usual suspect" (he seems to qualify) or did somebody seriously drop the ball in the early investigative process? Hope the media follows up with details from the transcripts.

#20140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,983 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 10:13 AM

Media will not follow up.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Facebook (1), Gipper