The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21588 replies to this topic

#9421 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:30 AM

Last night on the scanner police were heard frantically trying to secure all entrances/exits to a building. I was unable to catch the location nor the nature of the incident at the time I had tuned in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9422 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:34 AM

Saanich police lol?

I’m sure there was likely zero or maybe one OBPD officer on, on Christmas Day.

In any event, now they can turn it all over to Saanich. They did a bang up job in the machete case.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 December 2017 - 08:35 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9423 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

Yeah, I believe it was Saanich police. There was also a pursuit of a vehicle happening on the West Shore at the same time so some of the communications were a little messy.

I do recall there was a flood of ambulances heading to the scene and realized something was up when I heard two ALSU's (advanced life support units) were en-route. They were referring to the address as "the location" and there were no more details forthcoming other than officers trying to secure a location with multiple entrances/exits (which I assumed was a commercial building or an apartment complex).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9424 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

If it is being turned over to The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit, isn't that the RCMP?

Whoa!  A Major Crime.

#9425 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

Via Twitter, OBPD last night: "Police are at the scene of a tragic incident at Goodwin and Beach. Please see the attached media release for details. We do not believe there is any risk to the public. We have no further comment at this time."

Know it all.

#9426 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:25 AM

Facebook comments now mentioning that there might be children involved...

Tragic incident, indeed, if so.

Edited by North Shore, 26 December 2017 - 09:25 AM.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#9427 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, a three and a six year-old is what people are saying. This information is unconfirmed.

Know it all.

#9428 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

Oh no!!! đź’”

#9429 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:23 AM

Stats will suggest that's most likely the divorced or otherwise separated father of the children, with limited custody.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 December 2017 - 10:23 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9430 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:40 AM

Saanich police lol?

I’m sure there was likely zero or maybe one OBPD officer on, on Christmas Day.

In any event, now they can turn it all over to Saanich. They did a bang up job in the machete case.

Saanich police sure have had a few high profile misses, haven't they?

#9431 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

Stats will suggest that's most likely the divorced or otherwise separated father of the children, with limited custody.

[Assuming accurate reports] And that's the real shame - that somehow an initially loving union gets twisted, with the help of the legal system, into a tragedy that has cut short 2 young lives, and profoundly affected many others...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#9432 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, a three and a six year-old is what people are saying. This information is unconfirmed.

Two children are dead and their father is injured in what Oak Bay police are investigating as a possible homicide and attempted suicide on Christmas Day.

The young girls, ages four and six, were found deceased in the ground-floor apartment at 1400 Beach Dr. around 5 p.m., when police entered the suite.

http://www.timescolo...ings-1.23130791

#9433 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

Someone hasn't been following this case! 

Saanich & Oak Bay share radio, and Saanich is contracted for almost all major crimes including assistance on the initial response.

VIIMCU is a joint unit, every Police agency on the Island contributes. It is not the RCMP, but is housed by the RCMP.

#9434 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:04 PM

I know, I'm mostly joking.  Luckily for the OB taxpayer, this case won't likely need much police work to piece together.

• 57WestHills likes this

#9435 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

Saanich Police website is not available at this time.

This site can’t be reached.   www.saanichpolice.ca took too long to respond.

• todd likes this

#9436 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:42 PM

I happened to be listening to the scanner when this went down.  I missed the initial call but heard all the details when officers went inside.  Tragic indeed when they mentioned the two deceased.  Been thinking about it all night.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#9437 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

20171225_193642.jpg

20171226_150106.jpg

20171226_144609.jpg

Edited by todd, 26 December 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#9438 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

I've about had it with the "I can't believe it, this is a good neighbourhood" reaction .

According to statistics provided  by the VicHockeyFan Institute of Unsubstantiated Research, when considered on a per-capita basis, non drug/gang-related murders are slightly more likely in "good" neighbourhoods as those residents often feel they have more to lose economically and socially and can't tolerate the thought of that loss. Unstable mental states cut across social strata.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

#9439 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

Very sad and hits close to home, close friend of my wife taught the older girl at Willows last year. There is more to this that I cant share for obvious reasons....just so sad, what has to happen to push a parent over the edge to do this to their own innocent children? The guy better be in protective custody

#9440 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:26 AM

Their father, Andrew Berry, 43, was taken to hospital, under police guard, with self-inflicted wounds. He was found by officers after they entered the apartment searching for the girls.

The children’s mother, Sarah Cotton, was in a bitter custody battle with Berry, her ex-partner. The pair have been estranged since 2013.

Berry had the children in his care Christmas morning but did not return them to their mother in the afternoon when he was supposed to, according to friends close to Cotton, who has worked in communications in Victoria.

Cotton went to the Oak Bay police station to report the girls as missing, and officers went to the apartment.

http://www.timescolo...ment-1.23131085

In recent months, Cotton took Berry to court, seeking unpaid child-support payments. Berry did not hire a lawyer and represented himself. It’s unclear if he paid the outstanding child support.

Friends said Berry, who left B.C. Ferries in the summer, was having financial problems.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 December 2017 - 06:36 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (3)