Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21588 replies to this topic

#10441 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

Of course, no correlation will be drawn with the addition of low barrier housing a few blocks from there, and the complete lawlessness afforded to its tax payer funded residents. No... nothing to see here...

People who don't like being attacked are afraid of change... people who commit violent attacks aren't bad people... downtown is just as safe as ever... etc etc... rinse and repeat...
  • pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#10442 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:56 AM

Of course, no correlation will be drawn with the addition of low barrier housing a few blocks from there, and the complete lawlessness afforded to its tax payer funded residents. No... nothing to see here...

"A few blocks" you mean across the street from the back of the building is the back of the CCH facility - less than a block by my estimation.  I feel for the MoH staff and am surprised they aren't bringing their concerns to the BCGEU.  It becomes an OHS issue, and it's got to be unnerving for all who work in the vicinity.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#10443 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

"A few blocks" you mean across the street from the back of the building is the back of the CCH facility - less than a block by my estimation.  I feel for the MoH staff and am surprised they aren't bringing their concerns to the BCGEU.  It becomes an OHS issue, and it's got to be unnerving for all who work in the vicinity.

I definitely feel for MoH staff. But I am not sure how much help BCGEU would be.

I think it will become worse, in the fact many staff will go on stress lve, only to have inexperience staff replace them.

#10444 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:08 PM

I definitely feel for MoH staff. But I am not sure how much help BCGEU would be.

I think it will become worse, in the fact many staff will go on stress lve, only to have inexperience staff replace them.

It also builds union membership as members on sick leave still pay dues!
  • Wayne likes this

#10445 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:18 PM

^value added commentary 🙄
  • martini likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#10446 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:23 PM

I am glad this is getting exposed because the same government has been arguing with neighbours that low barrier facilities are fantastic and that the neighbors’ concerns are strictly out of NIMBYism etc. The dangers are real. If they are real enough for the MOH workers, they are even more real for neighbours who have to be there at night too, when the s@@t show is at its worst.

Remember, BC housing wanted, and almost did, put the 100+ residents of CCH in Mt Edwards, 18 steps away from a k-8 school!
  • pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#10447 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

I do believe that actions over the past number of years have caused Victoria to have a disproportionately high percentage of street people/homeless people as well as to almost encourage drug use. It's not surprising this has a visible impact and, although there are many vested interests who likely benefit from this trend, a responsible and compassionate local government would probably take steps to address it.
  • rjag, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#10448 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

Daniel Creagh has been arrested for the murder of Joseph Gauthier.

• martini likes this

#10449 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

Seal still on the lam?

#10450 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:39 AM

Daniel Creagh has been arrested for the murder of Joseph Gauthier.

So the guy had time to commit another crime, get taken into custody and released (I know this last part is usually very quick) before VI forces got to him. Anyone know what crime he did in Map’e Ridge (another stop on the « homeless » circuit btw... I wonder if he used the tent city/homeless housing to hide from the law... we saw a lot of that at tent city and i believe, in SROs in Victoria).
  • martini likes this

#10451 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:38 AM

- Vehicle of 82-year-old missing Oak Bay woman Gladys BARMAN has been located on a Cowichan logging road -

The vehicle belonging to Oak Bay missing person, Gladys BARMAN, has been located.

A citizen located the green Honda on a remote logging road behind Lake Cowichan on July 21st, 2018.

At this time she remains missing. Search efforts are underway and Cowichan Search and Rescue has been activated, along with the RCMP helicopter, RCMP Police Dog Services and other assisting agencies.

The search is ongoing and search efforts will continue for the foreseeable future.

If anyone may have seen the vehicle or a person matching the description of Gladys BARMAN in the area of Lake Cowichan in the days leading up to July 21st, please contact the Lake Cowichan RCMP at 250-749-6668.

The family of Mrs. BARMAN is requesting that their privacy be respected at this time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10452 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:59 AM

Another missing person and abandoned vehicle in the Lake Cowichan area.

#10453 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:06 AM

If she’s behind Lake Cowichan that means she could be in the Nitinaht Lake area.

Lots of people will drive the north road along the lake via Youbou only to find themselves on a major logging road mainline that eventually connects to Port Alberni. But that’s if you know where you’re going and don’t get easily disoriented. There’s some rough country out there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10454 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:40 AM

Note to self:

Stay away from the Bermuda Cowichan Triangle until things calm down. 

• Bingo likes this

#10455 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

So the guy had time to commit another crime, get taken into custody and released (I know this last part is usually very quick) before VI forces got to him. Anyone know what crime he did in Map’e Ridge (another stop on the « homeless » circuit btw... I wonder if he used the tent city/homeless housing to hide from the law... we saw a lot of that at tent city and i believe, in SROs in Victoria).

R v. Rogers, basically the time to get to trial has somewhat recently been reduced by the Supreme Court of Canada; when an arrest is made in a murder it has to be trial ready basically on Day 1 of the arrest now. So you're going to see a lot of really serious crimes have very delayed arrests because of the complexity of disclosure amongst other requirements.

This gets REALLY tricky now for in-progress arrests for very serious offences where the Police arrest because the responsible person is still there. A good example is the scramble for the Oak Bay murder on Christmas. It's a race against the clock and a very very difficult one.

Edited by 57WestHills, 24 July 2018 - 09:25 AM.

#10456 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

^ that is crazy and stupid. Learn something new every day. Sometimes the SCC makes dumb calls.

#10457 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

Is this related to time served while awaiting trial counting for significantly more time towards whatever sentence is handed down?

Know it all.

#10458 Gipper

Gipper
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

Is this related to time served while awaiting trial counting for significantly more time towards whatever sentence is handed down?

No, it's because a 30-month clock starts the second someone is arrested for a serious crime (18-months for less serious offenses in provincial court). The trial now has to be finished by the end of that 30 (or 18) months. So Crown now will not approve charges until there's a prosecution ready police package submitted and reviewed. If this deadline is exceeded the accused's charges will be stayed unless the delay was clearly caused by defense. Systematic delay (not enough judges, sheriffs, court time) counts towards the deadline. Police and prosecutors can do everything right and still see the case fail.

#10459 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

Seal still on the lam?

https://dobrador.com...-an-opening.jpg

#10460 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

- Officers, Citizens & A Reserve Constable Work Together To Arrest Wanted Man -

Victoria, BC- A man wanted for offences related to a violent home invasion that involved a firearm and knives was taken into custody last night thanks to the combined efforts of officers from our Community Services Division, Patrol Division, Investigative Services Division, K9, an off-duty Reserve Constable and citizen members of our community.

Just before 9 p.m. last night, Community Services Division officers, working to augment the Patrol shift, spotted the wanted man in a vehicle in at the intersection of Cook and Bay Streets. Officers had been looking for the man for his alleged involvement in a violent home invasion that involved a firearm and knives. Officers followed the vehicle which then stopped nearby in the 900-block of Bay Street. The man exited the vehicle, and when verbally challenged by officers to stop, fled the scene.

Officers flooded the area and the man continued to flee when spotted. During the hour-long foot pursuit through the Quadra Village neighbourhood many citizens, including an off-duty Reserve Constable. provided officers searching for the wanted man with updates on his location. Much of this information proved vital to the man’s eventual arrest.

The wanted man was finally taken into custody an hour later in the 2300 block of Vancouver Street. At that time the wanted man fought with officers and PSD Diesel was deployed to assist in effecting the arrest. The man was taken to hospital for treatment for non-life-threatening injuries, briefly treated and released back into police custody where he remains.

The driver of the vehicle was also taken into custody.

This file remains under investigation. Charge recommendations will be forthcoming.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1), pontcanna