The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21542 replies to this topic

#12581 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:00 PM

I wonder if you give people free drugs long enough they develop mental illnesses and compound the problem?!

If you give people free drugs long enough...we will all develop mental illness and compound the problem.
  • A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#12582 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

I’m not sure why I think there is something wrong here.

63EDE4F6-9959-439A-B210-387112478B18.jpeg
  • jsan likes this

#12583 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:12 PM

The UVIC “look”
  • jsan likes this

#12584 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:40 PM

The UVIC “look”

He’s 35.

#12585 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:24 AM

He’s 35.

As are many UVic students. 😊
  • jsan, GaryRanson, todd and 1 other like this

#12586 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:18 AM

Yellow police tape across Balfour Road beside the Ramada on Gorge last night, along with the VicPD SWAT armoured "tank" parked in the middle of the road beside the hotel, and quite a few other police vehicles further up the street.

Don't know what was happening, but VicPD don't usually roll their SWAT tank unless there's a threat of weapons.

No way for the folks living at Treelane Estates to get home (in or out) with Balfour completely blocked off, so I'm sure whatever was going on last night hasn't helped the Ramada Inns neighbourhood relations profile.

#12587 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

Most vulnerable indeed.  :whyme:

• jsan likes this

#12588 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:31 AM

Just to clarify, it's ERT not SWAT.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#12589 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

As are many UVic students.

That old? Also that’s a trees dispensary shirt which they were selling to the general public.

Edited by todd, 01 July 2020 - 09:55 AM.

#12590 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:21 PM

🚔 Man Arrested As Shooting Investigation Reveals Replica Handgun🚔

Victoria, BC –A Victoria man was arrested and faces recommended charges after Patrol officers were called to investigate a shooting yesterday.

Patrol officers were called to a multi-unit residential temporary housing building in the 100-block of Gorge Road East just after 8:20 p.m. yesterday for a report that a man had fired a handgun at another person. The suspect then entered a suite in the building. As they investigated, officers discovered that the incident was captured on video. Officers identified the suspect, contained the suite, and evacuated nearby residents.

The Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team (GVERT) was deployed to the scene and worked to resolve the incident safely. Three occupants eventually exited the suite and were taken into custody without incident. The final occupant to exit the suite was identified as the suspect and was taken into custody. He was transported to cells.

The victim in this file was not physically injured.

A search of the suite turned up a compressed-air powered handgun.

The man faces recommended charges including assault with a weapon, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and discharge of an air gun with intent.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12591 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:38 PM

Housing first...it really works!  :thumbsup:

• jsan, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#12592 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:19 PM

🚔Man Sought In Random Bus Assault, Hate Crime Investigation🚔

Victoria, BC –Officers are asking for your help as they work to identify a man who randomly attacked a young Black man on a BC Transit bus.

Just after 4 p.m. on June 19th, 2020, Patrol officers were flagged down by two men in the 1100-block of Johnson Street. One of the men told officers he had just been randomly struck by a man he did not know while on a BC Transit bus. The victim’s injuries were non-life-threatening and he did not require medical attention.

Officers learned that the attack was captured on video aboard the bus. On the video, the victim is seen entering the bus and moving towards a seat. The suspect stands and strikes the victim without warning. Those nearby on the bus intervene and the suspect is pushed off the bus.

The suspect is described as a Caucasian man, 40-50 years old with a medium to heavy build. He has blond hair. He was wearing sunglasses, a black hat with a logo on it, a blue shirt with a logo on it, tan shorts, white socks and black sneakers. Two still images of the suspect are below.

This incident is being investigated as a potential hate crime. Further investigation, including identifying the suspect, is required to determine potential charges for recommendation to Crown.

If you recognize this suspect, please call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654, and select option 1 for the report desk. To report what you know anonymously, call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12593 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:42 PM

https://www.vicnews....ed-in-victoria/

Loaded gun, hundreds of rounds of ammunition seized in Victoria.

“A suite in a multiunit temporary housing facility in the 3000-block of Blanshard Street”

I have no idea what subjects could be found there...

Edited by kxl, 02 July 2020 - 01:43 PM.

#12594 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:25 PM

Here’s the release:

🚔Loaded Firearm, Ammunition Seized After Community Services Division Investigation🚔

Victoria, BC – Officers with VicPD’s Community Services Division (CSD) seized a loaded firearm and ammunition on Tuesday evening.

Just before 6 p.m. on Tuesday, June 30th, CSD officers, with the assistance of the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team (GVERT), executed a search warrant at a suite in a multi-unit temporary housing facility in the 3000-block of Blanshard Street. CSD officers located a loaded AR-15 style firearm and several hundred rounds of ammunition.

Photographs of the seized weapon and ammunition are below.

This investigation and weapon seizure is one example of the efforts by CSD officers to combat increases in both violent crime and property crime in in the Burnside Gorge area. Since mid-March CSD officers have been focused on “Project Burnside Gorge Connect”, an initiative aimed at increasing police visibility and engagement in the Burnside Gorge neighbourhood. The project includes increased patrols in the Burnside Gorge neighbourhood, community consultation, participation in virtual “town hall” meetings, trend monitoring and intelligence driven enforcement, and the promotion of VicPD’s Block Watch program.

This file remains under investigation.

Know it all.

#12595 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:05 PM

I am sure this could have been handled by a social worker

#defundpolice
  • rmpeers likes this

#12596 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:05 PM

^^ 10% factual...90% political. 

These AR-15's are no toys. These are made to wipe out groups of people in the squeeze of a moment.

ar-15.jpg

#12597 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:08 PM

who’s to say that hotel guests at that place didn’t also have ar-15s.

all of us are only one or two missed paycheques from also living in a hotel with ar-15s.

seriously though. this is why you do not give former tenters rooms with locked doors. this is why cots are the best way to house homeless until you know a lot more about them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 July 2020 - 03:11 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#12598 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:21 PM

Why would you have such an item, unless you were, hmmm... a drug dealer, maybe? Gee, this is gonna sound far-fetched, but its almost as if the whole thing is set up perfectly to keep the illegal drug traffic flowing... just like when the drug dealer lobbyists, oops, sorry, I meant to say housing activists, went to court to make sure dealers, oops, sorry again, I meant "guests" would be allowed access to the Johnson Street facility.
  • Nparker and jsan like this

#12599 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:23 PM

who’s to say that hotel guests at that place didn’t also have ar-15s.

all of us are only one or two missed paycheques from also living in a hotel with ar-15s.

seriously though. this is why you do not give former tenters rooms with locked doors. this is why cots are the best way to house homeless until you know a lot more about them.

LOL. You know that if anyone meekly asked if they could just screen people for automatic weapons that Braids Not Hate or whatever they are called would have a fit.
  • Nparker likes this

#12600 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:45 PM

Why would you have such an item, unless you were, hmmm... a drug dealer, maybe? Gee, this is gonna sound far-fetched, but its almost as if the whole thing is set up perfectly to keep the illegal drug traffic flowing... just like when the drug dealer lobbyists, oops, sorry, I meant to say housing activists, went to court to make sure dealers, oops, sorry again, I meant "guests" would be allowed access to the Johnson Street facility.

Why would drug dealers not get free rooms at the hotels? I am sure that they had supply tents at the various parks. 

A heck of a lot easier to cook your meth and cut your drugs inside in a nice warm room then out on the street. Also easier to set up appointments and meetings with customers out of the prying eyes of cops (assuming they cared anyways).

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users