The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21605 replies to this topic

#15261 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 01:58 PM

From Twitter: @AndyPHarward

A few days after this @SD62_Sooke student led project was unveiled, some person shamefully vandalized it.
@RoyalBay_SD62 has CCTV cameras so let's hope they can ID the person responsible for this act.

I can't think of a single one of these crosswalks that has not been vandalized.  It's very disappointing and frustrating.

• David Bratzer and Brayvehart like this

#15262 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,306 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:14 PM

Royal Bay Secondary leadership students and staff brought out a whole bunch of bright paint colours today as they set in to paint the district's first bipoc rainbow crosswalk. 

Today’s painting of the Rainbow crosswalk at RBSS was the culmination of a student led initiative to acknowledge equity, reconciliation and community here at our school and in our larger community.  Students and staff (led by Danielle Huculak) worked incredibly hard on this project over the last several months. 

Much planning, prepping a organizing went into this “district first” crosswalk.  Our students helped our district painter, Todd McElroy, make this a reality.  Todd and Danielle were instrumental and worked with an amazing group of talented and focused students to make this happen  at Royal Bay. 

https://www.sd62.bc....ther-first-sd62

#15263 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:50 PM

Posting here because I'm perturbed by what I seen today..

Anyone else notice the two jets flying fast & low on each others wing these last few days..? super weird, are they military? they looked white in colour. This morning and this afternoon I couldn't help notice the streaks of vapour across the sky, quite low maybe 300 - 500ft. 

I actually watched as the circled Vic West and appeared to spray on and off at will. Huge blooms of white vapour from the wings, on and off. 

What the hell is this? I'm not interested in chemtrails or conspiracy theories, just facts please.. I am actually a little disturbed at what I seen. I don't want to sound silly but as they passed directly over head and very low, I almost thought I could taste something in the air, am I losing it????

TFord

#15264 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:51 PM

I think it might be the Snowbirds, which are practicing out of Comox.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15265 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:05 PM

Hi Mike 

Not a bad suggestion, but don't you think flying low and fast in continuous loops over densely populated areas might be dangerous, even reckless? 

TFord

• Mike K. likes this

#15266 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,359 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:17 PM

My kids sure loved it.
  • sebberry likes this

#15267 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,306 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:40 AM

https://vancouverisl...comox-1.5426734

it’s not reckless to train.

#15268 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:04 AM

Do You Recognize This Recovered Stolen Property?

May 17, 2021 - File: #21-18704

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers arrested a man and woman last week and recovered stolen property which they are hoping to reunite with their rightful owners.

On the morning of FridayMay 15th, Patrol officers were called to the 900-block of View Street for a report of squatters in a building which was prepared for demolition.

Officers attended and located a man and woman staying in the building and in possession of a variety of stolen property. Officers arrested both the man and the woman for break and enter and possession of stolen property.

In the course of the investigation, the woman began to show symptoms of an opioid overdose and was transported to hospital for medical treatment.

Officers recovered a variety of stolen property including TaylorMade golf clubs, Dewalt and Stihl power tools, Arcteryx jackets, cell phones and a MacBook Pro. In addition, officers seized a variety of weapons including a replica firearm, knives, a machete and a stun baton.

Officers are hoping to reunite this recovered property with the rightful owners. Photographs of some of the recovered stolen property items are included below.

This file remains under investigation.

If you recognize this property or have information about this incident, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Logo-Tools-1024x825.png Logo-Stihl-1024x825.png Logo-Jacket-3-484x1024.jpg Logo-Jacket-2-484x1024.png Logo-Jacket-1-484x1024.png Logo-Clubs-484x1024.png

An additional photograph of seized weapons is below.

Logo-Weapons-936x1024.png

#15269 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:55 AM

Hi Mike

Not a bad suggestion, but don't you think flying low and fast in continuous loops over densely populated areas might be dangerous, even reckless?

TFord

The last time I saw the show in this area mysteriously the US jets across the way after that seemed to stop making noise except on occasion.

Lucked out and had just sat outside when they passed by.

Edited by todd, 17 May 2021 - 12:06 PM.

#15270 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:23 PM

Crap, I missed the snowbirds.  Was anything announced?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15271 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:41 PM

Crap, I missed the snowbirds.  Was anything announced?

Crime thread, calling crime thread :)

• todd and Brayvehart like this

#15272 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:48 PM

That’s a crime that you missed the Snow Birds Seb.
  • todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#15273 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,306 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:52 PM

“I didn’t want the crosswalk to have such hateful things on it when kids were walking in on Monday morning,” said Grade 12 student Oskar Wood, who was part of the group that initially painted the crosswalk last week.

He said the graffiti covered much of the crosswalk and part of a school building, and included slurs such as “F*** the gays, along with a drawing of a face and a penis.

“We’re only assuming that it was my face they were trying to draw, because my face was one of the only ones that was associated with this crosswalk.”

The crosswalk project was largely student-led and involved about 35 people, Wood said, so seeing it defaced was hard. “It was definitely heartbreaking to see and disappointing, and saddened me.”

https://www.timescol...fiti-1.24320048

i guess that's plausable, for the face.  but whose penis were they drawing?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 May 2021 - 01:52 PM.

#15274 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 01:53 PM

Two men arrested after rainbow crosswalk vandalized with homophobic slurs at Royal Bay school

May 17, 2021

Two men have been arrested after a rainbow crosswalk painted by students at Royal Bay Secondary School in Colwood was defaced with hateful language including homophobic slurs.

The vandalism started with a late-night gathering at the school on just after midnight Sunday, according to RCMP.

Callers reported seeing between 18 to 20 people in the parking lot of the school, with some people spray-painting walls.

Morehttps://www.cheknews...-school-795113/

#15275 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:04 PM

Family identifies Ucluelet man as victim of Vancouver Island homicide

Terrance Mack being remembered as ‘kind, gentle’ man

May 17, 2021

25196979_web1_210516-UWN-family-identifi

A close family member has confirmed the identity of a man found dead in a Port Alberni apartment building on May 4 as Terrance Mack of Ucluelet First Nation. Mack would have celebrated his 34th birthday on May 13.

Allison Russ, Mack’s first cousin who lives in Vancouver, says Mack was kind, gentle and he always recognized family.

“He had a rough upbringing. His mom passed away when he was a baby and shortly after his dad. His side of family has had it really rough. It just breaks my heart that he went through this and that he died alone. It just hurts my heart,” said Russ.

Morehttps://www.vicnews....sland-homicide/

#15276 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:21 PM

One Arrested, Vehicle Seized In Strike Force Investigation

May 17, 2021 - File: #21-16178

Victoria, BC – VicPD Strike Force officers, working with VicPD’s Analysis and Intelligence section (AIS), arrested a woman and seized drugs and a vehicle in an investigation into drug trafficking at a multi-unit temporary housing facility in Victoria.

In late April, VicPD Strike Force officers and AIS began an investigation into a woman suspected of trafficking drugs at a multi-unit temporary housing facility in Victoria. Officers received a number of complaints regarding the woman’s suspicious behaviour in the area of a multi-unit temporary housing facility in the 3000-block of Blanshard Street. Acting on that information, VicPD Strike Force officers gathered evidence that the woman was trafficking drugs in Victoria.

On Thursday, April 29th, members of the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team (GVERT) arrested the woman in the 900-block of Pandora Avenue after they observed additional evidence of drug trafficking. VicPD Strike Force officers, working with GVERT, later executed a search warrant on the woman’s vehicle and on the woman’s residence in Victoria. Officers recovered quantities of cocaine consistent with drug trafficking, as well as suspected fentanyl and methamphetamine.

The woman will face recommended charges of possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking.

A photograph of the seized vehicle is available below.

This file remains under investigation.

If you have information about this incident, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Mini-Cooper-1024x1024.png

#15277 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:31 PM

If anyone ends up buying that Mini at the forfeiture auction I'd like to see them drive it across the border and watch while it activates every drug sensor and sniffing dog from here to Aldergrove.

• Mike K. and SimonH like this

#15278 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:00 PM

I'd like to know what Our Place's policy is on working from home.
  • North Shore likes this

#15279 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:24 PM

https://vancouverisl...comox-1.5426734

it’s not reckless to train.

Sorry VW, most small aircraft flight routes avoid populated areas.. makes no sense to train in an area where an accident leads to a tragedy! 

I'd rather watch them from somewhere safe.. ie. big ocean out there

TFord

#15280 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,306 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 06:31 PM

Sorry VW, most small aircraft flight routes avoid populated areas.. makes no sense to train in an area where an accident leads to a tragedy! 

I'd rather watch them from somewhere safe.. ie. big ocean out there

TFord

they are fighter jets.  sometimes you will "fight" over a city.  no?  

mystery cleared up:

https://www.facebook.com/CF18Demo/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 May 2021 - 06:35 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users