The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21605 replies to this topic

#15381 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:04 PM

Sounds like police were doing the shooting, and it was less-lethal tech they used:

Victoria, BC –A man has been taken into custody after an incident at a downtown Victoria church.

Patrol officers were called to a church in the 700-block of View Street just before 2:30 p.m. this afternoon after staff called 911 to report that a man had kicked open the church doors and was causing a disturbance.

Officers arrived and located the man who had armed himself with an improvised weapon. Officers discharged both OC spray and ARWEN less-lethal munitions in order to take the man into custody.

He was transported to hospital for mental health evaluation, decontamination from the OC spray, and to be medically assessed.

This incident remains under investigation. Further updates will be shared when they are available.

If you have information about this incident, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15382 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 10:04 PM

Victoria man sentenced to 6 years in prison for sexual offences in Taber 14 years ago

May 26, 2021

Richard Elliott, 45, has been sentenced to six years imprisonment after being convicted of three sexual offences in March 2021.

The offences were committed 14 years ago against a southern Alberta teenager.

When Elliott was 31, he was the manager of a McDonald’s restaurant in Taber, Alta, according to the victim.

He forced 15-year-old Taralyn Dillman, who was his employee at the time, into a sexual relationship between April 2007 and November 2008, before moving back to his hometown on Vancouver Island (Victoria) she explained.

Morehttps://globalnews.c...exual-offences/

#15383 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 09:25 AM

@SaanichPolice
·
6 thefts from vehicles reported in this area overnight Wednesday. While we work to ID a suspect, it's a good reminder to practice the #9PMRoutine.

If your vehicle was broken into or entered please let us know. #Saanich

saanich.png

#15384 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 12:47 PM

RCMP conducting searches through Nanaimo related to ‘historical missing person’

May 27, 2021

NANAIMO — Police have a visible presence across the city as part of a missing person investigation.

RCMP Cst. Gary O’Brien said the searches on Thursday, May 27 are in connection to a historical missing persons case from the last year and foul play is suspected.

824ced93-cad9-4093-8a95-3ae9c9680eed.jpg
Officers are combing an area of Diver Lake in central Nanaimo, looking for forensic evidence linked to a historic missing persons case from the last year. 

“Our investigation is moving forward with several searches within the city to collect any forensic evidence,” O’Brien told NanaimoNewsNOW . “We have a number of tactical and forensic officers attempting to collect evidence throughout the city and they should be here for the next two or three days.”

He emphasized the activities have no connection to the long-time disappearance of Lisa Marie Young.

Morehttps://nanaimonewsn...missing-person/

#15385 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,907 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 12:56 PM

RCMP conducting searches through Nanaimo related to ‘historical missing person...

Sort of like the John A. MacDonald statue.

#15386 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 01:26 PM

Information Sought After Esquimalt Road Rage Incident

May 27, 2021 - File: #21-20504

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers are seeking witnesses and information after a road rage incident targeting a mother and her daughter in Esquimalt.

On Tuesday, May 25th at 4:30 p.m. Patrol officers received a report that a woman and her daughter were cycling in the area of Craigflower Road and Arcadia Street in Esquimalt when a driver attempted to force them off the road.

Officers spoke with the victims and learned that they had a brief verbal confrontation with a man driving a black sports car at the intersection. They told officers that the man then proceeded in the opposite direction of  the cyclists on Craigflower Road, then circled back on Craigflower Road, approached the cyclists in the bicycle lane, and swerved toward them.

The man yelled hateful and racist slurs at the mother and daughter during the incident. Thankfully, the mother and her daughter were not physically injured.

The driver is described as an approximately 20-year-old Caucasian man with blonde hair, who was wearing a baseball hat. The vehicle is described as a black sports car, possibly an Acura, with red seats.

The incident is being investigated as hate-motivated.

This file remains under investigation.

If you witnessed this incident or have information about this incident and have not yet spoken to officers you are asked to call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

#15387 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 01:29 PM

‘A battle for resources’: Three Metchosin volunteer-led groups victim to bottle thefts

How the recyclables fund initiatives—and what happens when they’re stolen

May 27, 2021

60aee11833da0c74bdd2985c_bottlebin_theft

Jenn Sorrie’s heart dropped to the pit of her stomach upon arriving at Hans Helgesen Elementary on a sunny Thursday morning. Her eyes were dead set on the school’s bottle donation bin, which was ominously propped open.

“Pickups are usually on Tuesdays ,” she reminded herself.

Hopping out of her car, she quickly spotted a broken lock at the foot of the bin. Picking it up, she could clearly tell that a heavy duty tool had been used to snap it in half. The discovery that a pair of bolt cutters were found in the bushes less than an hour before she arrived confirmed her fears.

All of their donated bottles had been stolen.

#15388 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:55 PM

Victoria man sentenced to 6 years in prison for sexual offences in Taber 14 years ago

May 26, 2021

Richard Elliott, 45, has been sentenced to six years imprisonment after being convicted of three sexual offences in March 2021.

Former assistant to Victoria mayor sentenced for sex assault, exploitation in Alberta

VICTORIA -- A former assistant to the mayor of Victoria has been sentenced to six years in prison for sexual assault and sexual exploitation in Alberta.

Richard Elliot was sentenced in an Alberta court Wednesday on two counts of sexual assault and one count of sexual exploitation.

The charges date back to a time before Elliot served as an executive assistant in the office of Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps and the office of the city manager.

Morehttps://vancouverisl...berta-1.5445896

#15389 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 06:18 PM

^ I am not a genius but like most people I can count.  If Mr. Elliot has spent the last 98 days in jail awaiting trial then that means he went to jail in mid-February. If in fact he was still "working" at City Hall in April then that gives new definition to the "remote work" experience.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#15390 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,329 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 06:25 PM

^ I am not a genius but like most people I can count.  If Mr. Elliot has spent the last 98 days in jail awaiting trial then that means he went to jail in mid-February. If in fact he was still "working" at City Hall in April then that gives new definition to the "remote work" experience.

his "pre-trail custody" would most likely have been back when he was first arrested.  ie. 2 or 3 years ago.  not right before trial.

that custody would almost always take place while you try to arrange bail / conditions to allow your release after initial arrest. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 May 2021 - 06:33 PM.

#15391 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 06:32 PM

his "pre-trail custody" would most likely have been back when he was first arrested.  ie. 2 or 3 years ago.  not right before trial.

Ok but then the City's statement that they had no idea he had legal issues sounds fishy. Do they not do background checks on people? If someone had spent 98 days in jail it would show up on a search.

A google search shows that Rich has been Helps' EA since at least August 2017.

Edited by spanky123, 27 May 2021 - 06:37 PM.

#15392 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,329 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 06:36 PM

Ok but then the City's statement that they had no idea he had legal issues sounds fishy. Do they not do background checks on people? If someone had spent 98 days in jail it would show up on a search.

not necessarily.  depends on the jurisdiction.   alberta does not have open (and free) online public records like BC does.  most jurisdictions also protect some information until a conviction is entered.  which makes sense.

a standard BC "criminal record check" will not find charges in alberta, before conviction.   

also, not all government jobs specify that a criminal record check is undertaken.  some - in order to attract a larger applicant pool - specifically exclude it in positions were they find it's not high risk to have a convicted person take the job.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 May 2021 - 06:43 PM.

#15393 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 06:48 PM

You can do a RCMP background check for $30. I would think that if he spent 98 days in jail before trial then there was something else at play.

#15394 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 07:02 PM

According to Global, Mr. Elliott was convicted in March. The case was reported to police in 2017 so he must have served his 65 days in jail (98 credit) while working for the City.

B.C. man sentenced to 6 years in prison for sexual offences in Taber 14 years ago | Globalnews.ca

Looks like the 65 days in jail was between March and May of this year between conviction and sentencing. My original comment is valid then.

Victoria, B.C. man sentenced to six years in connection with sexual assault case in Taber | Lethbridge News Now

Edited by spanky123, 27 May 2021 - 07:06 PM.

#15395 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 08:49 PM

That's nothing--this Alabama cop was convicted for murder but kept his job by switching his leave days around. Clever!

https://www.al.com/n...roll-still.html

#15396 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,329 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 01:28 AM

According to Global, Mr. Elliott was convicted in March. The case was reported to police in 2017 so he must have served his 65 days in jail (98 credit) while working for the City.

B.C. man sentenced to 6 years in prison for sexual offences in Taber 14 years ago | Globalnews.ca

Looks like the 65 days in jail was between March and May of this year between conviction and sentencing. My original comment is valid then.

Victoria, B.C. man sentenced to six years in connection with sexual assault case in Taber | Lethbridge News Now

well I guess I stand corrected.

I assumed his pretrial custody could not have been this year since one article says he was working at the City in April.

I’ve been mislead!

#15397 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 05:43 AM

well I guess I stand corrected.

I assumed his pretrial custody could not have been this year since one article says he was working at the City in April.

I’ve been mislead!

According to reports, the victim reported the abuse to police in either 2015 or 2017. What do you think the chances are that nobody with knowledge of this case (ie the victim, her friends, etc) informed the Mayor or City Manager? You note that Bill E. only said that the police had never informed the Mayor's office. In addition, Mr. Elliot was sent to jail on March 23rd. According to Adam Stirling, Mr. Elliot was employed by the Mayor up until April 28th when it appears as though details were leaked to the media.

Now I am sure that the Mayor or City staff will claim that they owed Mr. Elliot notice for all of the years he worked for the City but that is not true. If you are in jail you are considered to have abandoned your job and quit. If there was vacation time owing then you pay the person out. There is no reasonable excuse for having someone who has committed a felony and in jail continuing employment and having access to City confidential information. 

The optics are that the Mayor yet again tried to cover up sexual assault and abuse because it suited her. 

• Love the rock, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#15398 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:04 AM

To paraphrase the famous Watergate question, “What did the Mayor know, and when did she know it?”

I'm sure the answer will be along the lines of, we were bound by union procedural rules, employee privacy etc. just like with Elsner.

#15399 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:14 AM

To paraphrase the famous Watergate question, “What did the Mayor know, and when did she know it?”

I'm sure the answer will be along the lines of, we were bound by union procedural rules, employee privacy etc. just like with Elsner.

Assuming that was true, I am sure a threatened media release stating that the union is blocking the release of a member convicted of the sexual abuse and assault of a teenager would end any opposition immediately.

#15400 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 07:36 AM

To paraphrase the famous Watergate question, “What did the Mayor know, and when did she know it?”

I believe one of the rules stipulates that, in the event of sexual misconduct allegations, the mayor is obligated to publicly announce that the employee in question is the best thing that's ever happened to this city.
  • Nparker, Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users