Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 01:03 PM

Should be easy to find and arrest her.

#15642 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 01:51 PM

There are those that trumpet the supremacy of European culture and its codified system of rights, elected parliaments, fair laws and equality.

But you have to remember those benefits didn't just suddenly appear out of thin air. They came as a result of fights led by lawless mobs.

Point to ponder.

Ah, but what benefits are derived from throwing a statue into the harbour? Yes, it no doubt caused a few misguided angry people to score a few social media likes, and likely caused momentary nether stimulation to a few councilors, but did it do anything at all that will benefit Indigenous people or anyone else? I suspect not. It likely stoked racism in some quarters but I don't think that's much of an achievement.
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#15643 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 02:10 PM

^History shows us every struggle for righteousness has a fringe element that takes things too far and angers all sides. The '93 Clayoquot tree spikers are a local example.

• Mike K. and Brayvehart like this

#15644 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 04:39 PM

^History shows us every struggle for righteousness has a fringe element that takes things too far and angers all sides. The '93 Clayoquot tree spikers are a local example.

Being saddened/shocked by finding hundreds of indigenousness put in a position where they would more likely be stricken with Tuberculosis, then yes that is pretty obvious that there is a struggle for righteousness.  But it is never that simple.  "Reconciliation and Righteousness" through the lens of retribution.  Where exactly are we going with this?  Seizing property?  Is there a particular demographic we will target?  Just whites, or all immigrants?   What if you are just immigrating now or do we target only those that were here before a certain date?  Who decides?  

• Mike K., Midnightly and Victoria Watcher like this

#15645 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 06:34 PM

Is this the same person?

from what i heard the head wasn't located... maybe she took it home as a trophy... it is a great picture of her holding the head.... shouldn't be too hard to figure out who she is

#15646 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 03 July 2021 - 08:26 PM

I found out her name with very little trouble but didn't book mark. I'll see if I can dig it out again.

She's a very active protester. She's also a lover of Aboriginal art.

She has a small following. One of her social media accounts had 27K of followers.

Under the name she uses, I've seen someone who is possibly a relation in a photo with her. But the oddest thing, under her used name and through a quick Google search, she doesn't exist before 2020. Her Twitter account also was created in early 2020.

From what I gather she most likely lives in or around Vancouver since that is where she has been most active.

From one of the posts on the pulling down of Cook's statue, credit was given to Nootka youth and friends. Not sure if that just means young people or this is an activist group I am unaware of.

Edited by FawltyVic, 03 July 2021 - 08:28 PM.

#15647 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 08:37 PM

From VictoriaBC Reddit today:

https://www.reddit.c...tering_threats/

Posted by

Man uttering threats

A man just biked past my partner, newborn and I and threatened us with violence (claimed he had a weapon as well) after making extremely menacing comments behind our backs about being "jack the ripper". please look out for this deranged man and avoid him. Seen near Johnson and Fernwood. He was riding a bike, had unkept facial hair and what looks like a straw hat.

To which someone said:

So like half the population of Victoria. All jokes aside I have found that more and more common. A find a lot of people that do that want a reaction so the best course of action is usually just ignoring them. Maybe mention it to the police so they can keep note of the incident even if they can’t do anything. I hope you and your family are safe.

His reply and further info:

lol we did try ignoring him initially but that's when he stopped his bike and said that he had a weapon and that we "don't want to play with him". I said we don't want to play with you man, and he said "then leave me the **** alone!". Clearly out of his mind but potentially dangerous, I hope nobody else comes into contact with him.

Edited by FawltyVic, 03 July 2021 - 08:39 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#15648 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2021 - 09:31 PM

Funny, I was just reading that.  

I always fall back to why we have bike lanes and low speed limits: council widely regarded the perception of safety issues as a big factor in slowing down cars and separating bike lanes.  

Perhaps they can start to focus on the perception of safety issues surrounding the mentally unwell and the criminals in town.

• Nparker, kingcollar, Midnightly and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15649 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 10:39 PM

I found out her name with very little trouble but didn't book mark. I'll see if I can dig it out again.

She has a small following. One of her social media accounts had 27K of followers.

Under the name she uses, I've seen someone who is possibly a relation in a photo with her. But the oddest thing, under her used name and through a quick Google search, she doesn't exist before 2020. Her Twitter account also was created in early 2020.

From what I gather she most likely lives in or around Vancouver since that is where she has been most active.

From one of the posts on the pulling down of Cook's statue, credit was given to Nootka youth and friends. Not sure if that just means young people or this is an activist group I am unaware of.

Attached Images

• E3qJRlXVoAQnz8L.jpg

#15650 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:01 PM

Yes,

Her name is Kati George-Jim.

But I swear yesterday there was another name used for her. But now going back to the sources where I found it, it's not there. That or I was wrong and it was an activist who looked very much like Kati.

#15651 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:04 PM

The post said Kati George-Jim.  Don't know if that is right, just from the post.  Also states she is anti local Indigenous.  

Edited by On the Level, 03 July 2021 - 11:05 PM.

#15652 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 06:13 AM

there is intentionally no goal for reconciliation. it’s evergreen.

On this point I might disagree ... reconciliation is about money - lots and lots of money.

I'm not necessarily saying that's a "bad" thing ... only that we should all be honest about what this is really all about, and we should be able to do so with out being accused of being racists.

That financial compensation to First Nations may come in the form of logging rights, mineral rights, or development rights of massive swaths of the Province, but never doubt that this is 100% about money.

Indeed we're talking about billions of dollars across the entire country.

Basic human nature mandates that when you see an opportunity to acquire massive sums of money in return for minimal effort, you go for it.

It's easy to see that apologies from all levels of government hasn't resulted in drinkable water for most remote Ontario First Nations, so they still have a legitimate complaint about how they're treated compared to the rest of Canada ... but even drinking water isn't about letting professional engineers fix the actual problem ... it's about First Nations wanting to be given tens of millions of dollars in order that they can try and fix the issue of drinking water "themselves".

But however you choose to parse reconciliation, never doubt that at its core, it's about financial compensation for First Nations. 

First Nations don't want the settlers sympathy, or his help ... they want hard currency (or its equivalent) as compensation for what was taken from them.

I don't for a second believe that any privately owned land in B.C. will be expropriated in order to be returned to First Nations ... but I certainly do believe that the taxes most Canadians pay will be funding the hundreds of millions (or billions?) of dollars that will be fed into the reconciliation bandwagon in the years ahead of us.

Edited by Spy Black, 04 July 2021 - 06:15 AM.

#15653 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 06:19 AM

First Nations LEADERSHIP wants money but not the individuals, any more so than us settlers want mineral and oil rights or timber royalties.

money feeds the existing corruption in First Nations leadership. for sure.

First Nations leadership is following the tried and true methods dictators use worldwide. Keep the population dependent on “the band office” and try the best to keep the population uneducated.

in 2nd and 3rd world countries the government best low skill jobs go to the connected. we’ve set up a system with hundreds of little 3rd world nations right in our own country.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 July 2021 - 06:31 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#15654 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 06:50 AM

First Nations LEADERSHIP wants money but not the individuals, any more so than us settlers want mineral and oil rights or timber royalties.

Indeed, but the way First Nations are operated, the leadership ... the chiefs along with their families and friends ARE the First Nations in terms of how they're financed and operated.

The minutia behind who's more powerful, the elected Chief or the Hereditary Chief only reinforces that the average First Nations citizen doesn't even really factor into the equation, and is essentially powerless.

Where the First Nations Chiefs in Canada go, so goes the First Nations in Canada as a whole.

Edited by Spy Black, 04 July 2021 - 06:50 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#15655 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:14 AM

Indeed, but the way First Nations are operated, the leadership ... the chiefs along with their families and friends ARE the First Nations in terms of how they're financed and operated.

The minutia behind who's more powerful, the elected Chief or the Hereditary Chief only reinforces that the average First Nations citizen doesn't even really factor into the equation, and is essentially powerless.

Where the First Nations Chiefs in Canada go, so goes the First Nations in Canada as a whole.

i agree.  and the way to keep the average citizen powerless is create a dependency and also keep education levels low.  which of course they have done a great job of.  with the lowest high school graduation rate and the lowest college and university enrollment rates in the country.  and then the corresponding ultra-high unemployment rates - that feeds back into the dependency.     

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 July 2021 - 07:14 AM.

• Spy Black likes this

#15656 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:16 PM

Information Sought After Esquimalt Church Damaged

Date: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 - File: #21-26439

Victoria, BC – Esquimalt Division officers are investigating a mischief at an Esquimalt church.

Officers were called to an Anglican church in the 1300-block of Esquimalt Road at 3 p.m. on July 3 rd for a report that the church had been damaged. There was damage to the church door and an attempt to dig up and remove a statue of St. Francis. The weight of the statue prevented its removal.

If you have any information about this incident, you are asked to call the Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

#15657 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:19 PM

how do they know the weight of the statue prevented the removal? that’s Sherlock Holmes or Murdoch Mysteries level of deduction.

how do they know it wasn’t just an attempted dirt theft near or around the statue?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 July 2021 - 02:21 PM.

• FawltyVic likes this

#15658 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:44 PM

how do they know the weight of the statue prevented the removal? that’s Sherlock Holmes or Murdoch Mysteries level of deduction.

how do they know it wasn’t just an attempted dirt theft near or around the statue?

If they had shown up and the statue was on the ground with suspect underneath, then it would be a safe deduction.

For now, all we know it could be a couple of fisherman who believe worms dug on consecrated ground catch more fish.

#15659 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:51 PM

If they had shown up and the statue was on the ground with suspect underneath, then it would be a safe deduction.

St. Francis is the patron saint against dying alone. Being killed by his falling statue is level 10 irony.

Edited by Rob Randall, 06 July 2021 - 02:51 PM.

• Mike K., FawltyVic and Victoria Watcher like this

#15660 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:54 PM

^ Unless there were 2 of them.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2), Sparky, Bing (1)