The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#18301 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,050 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 01:46 AM

They have surprisingly early named the Langley shooter. He’s known to police but for non criminal contact.

#18302 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 05:36 AM

I’ve lived in BC my entire life, I remember the gang violence in the early 2000s and beyond. To my recollection- staging a robbery to kill a bunch of police and randomly targeting homeless people in a mass shooting? What the hell is going on? Are people losing their marbles? Or is the sewage from the states seeping into our country?
  • Matt R. likes this

#18303 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,050 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 05:39 AM

Could be the vaccines.
  • Nparker likes this

#18304 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 07:20 AM

Could be the vaccines.

LOL
  • Matt R. likes this

#18305 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 07:54 AM

I’ve lived in BC my entire life, I remember the gang violence in the early 2000s and beyond. To my recollection- staging a robbery to kill a bunch of police and randomly targeting homeless people in a mass shooting? What the hell is going on? Are people losing their marbles? Or is the sewage from the states seeping into our country?

Anecdotal, of course, but I think A LOT of people are under significant amounts of stress as a result of the last 2+ years of Covid and it's finally reached the boiling over point. Whether it be from the combination of Covid, inflation and rising CoL, potential recession, who knows.. but there seems to be a ton more stress and anger around these days. Just look at the rise of those all too frequent videos of people berating fast food workers or freaking out at the grocery store because it takes an extra 5 minutes to buy some milk. 

Just my thoughts, anyway. 

• Matt R. likes this

#18306 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 08:01 AM

It doesn't help that the mass media feeds us a constant diet of fear, doom and gloom and that we are almost entirely governed by fools and hypocrites. It seems like there is very little in the world to be optimistic about these days.

• Barrrister likes this

#18307 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 09:37 AM

To my recollection- staging a robbery to kill a bunch of police and randomly targeting homeless people in a mass shooting? What the hell is going on? 

I think this kind of "craziness" is fairly commonplace over the decades ... I could (but I'm not going to) list off 20 names from past decades that include serial killers, sadistic killers, random killers, etc in B.C. and elsewhere in Canada.

Which is to say that this kind of thing has always gone on in B.C. and elsewhere, it's just in past decades you had to wait for the 6:00pm news on TV to hear about it, and now it's on social media instantly, and available for consumption 24/7/365.

As just a single example, Stephen Reid in 1999 robbed a bank and then led VicPD through the streets of Victoria while firing a handgun from the cars window. This chase led all the way from Cook Street Village (where he robbed the bank), and on through Beacon Hill Park and into James Bay ... all with guns blazing all the way.

So this isn't really anything new, it's just being made much easier to locate (online) and consume ... and as Nparker notes above, the mainstream press seem to enjoy hyping this kind of negative, violent news, far more so in 2022 than they did in 1999.

Edited by Spy Black, 26 July 2022 - 09:41 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#18308 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,050 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 09:47 AM

I think this kind of "craziness" is fairly commonplace over the decades ... I could (but I'm not going to) list off 20 names from past decades that include serial killers, sadistic killers, random killers, etc in B.C. and elsewhere in Canada.

David Shearing.

Clifford Olson.

Willy Pickton.

Andrew Berry.

Mark Chahal.

Peter Lee.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 July 2022 - 09:50 AM.

#18309 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 11:12 AM

David Shearing.

Clifford Olson.

Willy Pickton.

Andrew Berry.

Mark Chahal.

Peter Lee.

Kruse Wellwood/Cameron Moffat

Derik Lord/David Muir/Darren Huenemann

#18310 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 11:15 AM

Nanaimo judge finds man not guilty of cocaine importation, trafficking

July 26, 2022

Gerry David Allan Grieve was found not guilty of three charges – importing, possessing and trafficking cocaine – stemming from his arrest in November 2019 alongside co-accused Gerhard Gunther Laufer.

During the trial, the Crown called 22 witnesses and experts, including 16 current and former police officers, to argue that Grieve, a commercial trucker, used hollow battery casings to transport cocaine across the U.S. border into Canada.

Grieve had been a target of the RCMP's Federal Serious and Organized Crime unit for nearly nine months when he and Laufer were arrested after a brief meeting in a storage garage in Surrey, B.C., on Nov. 7, 2019.

Police found six cellphones on the men following the takedown. A search of Laufer's truck revealed a hidden compartment containing 10 bricks of cocaine weighing approximately 11.3 kilograms in total, according to the June 29 judgment.

Provincial court judge Brian Harvey found the Crown did not prove beyond a reasonal doubt that Grieve was ever in possession of the cocaine.

Morehttps://vancouverisl...cking-1.6002875

#18311 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 11:18 AM

Screenshot 2022-07-26 12.16.58.png

#18312 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,050 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 11:18 AM

Laufer was sentenced last year to three years in prison for possession for the purpose of trafficking. 

#18313 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 02:15 PM

Anyone looking for a masterclass in self pity/paranoia from a (ahem) "person of interest" in the Amber Manthorne missing person case should check out Justin Hall's FB video from downtown Vancouver last night:

https://www.facebook...28086082585321/

#18314 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 07:19 PM

Langley killer acted increasingly strange in the past week, says neighbour

Another woman describes confrontation with shooter where his gun failed to go off

Jul 26, 2022  - Vancouver Sun

Screenshot 2022-07-26 20.05.45.png
Charity Ciszek, a neighbour of shooter Jordan Goggin, describes how appeared to be acting more erratically in the week before his shooting rampage. 

A week before a gunman went on a six-hour rampage and killed two people and wounded two others in Langley, a neighbour of the 28-year-old man became increasingly concerned about his behaviour.

“All of a sudden, the person I knew Jordan to be — very quiet, who would take both of our recycling to the curb on time each week, who kept to himself — started to act very strange. It was as if he was hallucinating.”

While the motive for the shooting remains unclear, people in the community are asking whether the suspect had any connection to the victims, all of whom have been identified by community members and friends as formerly or currently homeless.

Screenshot 2022-07-26 20.06.05.png
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team released surveillance images of multiple shooting suspect Jordan Goggin in an effort to find more witnesses to the fatal shooting spree in Langley in the early-morning hours of July 25, 2022.

In the days prior, Ciszek said she would see Goggin return home at all hours of the night in the Mazda, which had been incurring increasing damage.

“It started with the whole passenger side of the car being dented one day. Then, the side mirror was ripped off and the front of the car was smashed,” Ciszek said. “I kept thinking to myself: ‘What has he been doing?'”

When Goggin was home last week, he was making a lot more noise.

“I would wake up to him yelling or see him out in our shared alleyway, swaying from side to side or pacing. He would be talking to himself and say things like: ‘I’m really messed up, this life is really messed up,'” recalled the neighbour.

“It got to the point where I was going to call the police, but I was really scared that would piss him off.”

Langley resident Denise Redman, said she was approached by an armed man who she believes was the shooter while she was seated on a curb near Willowbrook mall.

“He pointed the gun at my head,” said Redman, who held a bullet casing in her hand. “He pulled a handgun on me and asked for my dope. I said ‘no.’ Then he pulled the trigger.” She said the gun did not fire.

More: https://vancouversun...obox=1658887302

#18315 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,050 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 07:38 PM

Freak.

#18316 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 09:15 PM

Didn't realise that one of the Chilliwack killer's victims had significant Island connections, in the real estate business (principally Mill Bay/Shawnigan/Cow Valley). Mimi Kates.

Killer found dead in Bridal Falls.

Screenshot 2022-07-26 22.09.09.png Screenshot 2022-07-26 22.09.53.png

#18317 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 09:04 AM

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers 

Dear Mr. Bad Wig

OK, first things first……. That wig is not a great look on you!!! Even with the less than stellar photo, we can tell that a bad bad fake head rug. We only say this as the staff at the grocery store described your hair as an obvious wig.

Second, you are a suspect is the fraudulent use of a stolen bank card to purchase some groceries at a Royal Oak grocery store. Now we can’t say for sure that you were the person who broke into the victim’s car a stole a purse, but you sure were caught on video making this purchase with their stolen bank card.

Now, we get to share these photos with our amazing followers, who will have to squint really hard to try and ID you and eventually we will have your name.

See you soon
Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers

File: #22-14246

Screenshot 2022-07-28 09.55.44.png

• Hotel Mike likes this

#18318 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 09:57 AM

Indecent act on local trail

2022-07-27 - File: #2022-12234

The West Shore RCMP is warning the public after a man exposed himself to a woman on the Galloping Goose trail.

On July 19, 2022, just after 7:00 a.m., the West Shore RCMP received a report of a man exposing himself to a woman on the Galloping Goose Trail near the intersection of Happy Valley Road and Glen Forest Way in Metchosin. The woman reported she was jogging on the trail when she saw a man who had a hoodie tied around his waist. When she got closer, the male removed his hoodie and exposed himself to her and then ran off the trail into the bushes. Extensive police patrols were made however police were unable to locate the suspect.

The suspect is described as:

* Tall;
    * Blonde straight hair;
    * Light colored hoodie around his waist;
    * Wearing a t-shirt, unknown colour.

The trails within our communities are used daily by many people and are considered safe , says Constable Meghan Groulx, spokesperson for the West Shore RCMP. Unfortunately, these types of investigations do happen now and then. We’d like to remind the public to stay alert to their surroundings and report any suspicious behaviour.

If you were in the area on the morning of July 19 and observed someone matching this description or if you witnessed this incident, please contact the West Shore RCMP (File 2022-12234).

Released by

Cst. Meghan Groulx
Media Relations Officer
West Shore RCMP

#18319 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:05 AM

Man caught in child-luring sting on YouTube spared jail time by judge in Nanaimo

Cory John Lloyd, 42, sentenced for charge of arranging a sexual offence against a child

Jul. 28, 2022

A man caught in a citizen-led child-luring sting operation in Nanaimo has been spared jail time by a provincial court judge.

Parksville’s Cory John Lloyd, 42, previously pleaded guilty to a charge of arranging and agreeing on a sexual offence against a child, originating from a 2019 incident in which he was the subject of an undercover operation with the Justin Payne YouTube channel, which aims to expose sexual predators.

Leanne Mascolo, Crown counsel, sought a six-month prison sentence, while Babak Zargarian, defence counsel, sought an 18-24-month conditional sentence. Judge Brian Harvey sentenced Lloyd to an 18-month conditional sentence with 18 months’ probation on Wednesday, July 27, in provincial court in Nanaimo.

According to an agreed statement of facts, Lloyd had made initial contact with a supposed 13-14-year-old in the fall of 2018 via the Grindr app and was caught on camera in early 2019 at Woodgrove Centre. He was subsequently arrested by police in Parksville.

Psychiatric reports described Lloyd as being a low to moderate risk to re-offend.

Lloyd declined an opportunity to address the court. His lawyer made an application to prohibit publication of his client’s name, citing that he had suffered significant, irreparable damage to his employment opportunities. He was fired from a previous job as a cook after the video came to light. The judge denied the request.

More: https://www.vicnews....dge-in-nanaimo/

#18320 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 11:12 AM

Anyone know why there’s a chopper flying up and down the gorge?

Lots of RCMP and search and rescue at Esquimalt Lagoon concurrently.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1), pontcanna, Bing (1)