Alberta and BC politics

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

#101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

I've got a couple of buckets of crude in my garage just in case the SHTF.

...and you can likely find YouTube videos that show you how to refine it into gasoline, right at home.

• nerka likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#102 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:58 PM

Except we have minimal infrastructure set up to import crude and only one small refinery...

The goal is to shut it all down. Go back to sticks and stones and wagons and buggies and to euthanize your children etc.

#103 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:47 PM

So we halt train traffic destined for Alberta. Easy peasy.

Mike, that would be suicide for BC. Far more trade from BC goes out through Alberta and if they stop shipping product solely for Alberta, then Alberta would simply close the rail line down.

Perhaps, but this won't last long.  Alberta's oil patch quite frankly isn't worth much as compared to the rest of Canada's access to the Pacific Rim including China.   

Look, we have done this to ourselves. This is just one example of our severely unfriendly attitude towards business and energy investment. We have by far the highest fuel prices in North America. 

This isn't 1980s Petro Canada or the USSR.   Exactly how much are KM shareholders willing to invest with a war against BC?  If Alberta was to pinch off supply to BC, who exactly would they truck product to that isn't already getting supplied?  What supply lines would be enhanced out of Washington?

Edited by On the Level, 09 March 2018 - 08:48 PM.

#104 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:16 AM

This isn't 1980s Petro Canada or the USSR.   Exactly how much are KM shareholders willing to invest with a war against BC?  If Alberta was to pinch off supply to BC, who exactly would they truck product to that isn't already getting supplied?  What supply lines would be enhanced out of Washington?

Agreed, but shutting down KM would be up to Alberta government thru their permit process.  Since BC is only a minority government how long do you think Horgan/Weaver would last if pump prices soared above $2

I see they have also threatened tolls for natural gas shipments from BC

I still think BC could stop all rail shipments or heavily toll them.  Then again maybe its time for Trudeau to actually get involved!  Has he done anything in this dispute or is he still showing off his stupid socks, etc?

• jonny likes this

#105 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:33 AM

Then again maybe its time for Trudeau to actually get involved! Has he done anything in this dispute or is he still showing off his stupid socks, etc?

He’s in heavy discussions with his costume designers to sort out an culturally appropriate cowperson wardrobe that reflects reconciliation and respects lgbtq2sv rights
  • LJ and jonny like this

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:42 AM

I think he might be on vacation again.
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:58 AM

Speaking of trade wars what is going on with the softwood tariffs to the US?  Have we fought back and threatened to shut off oil and electricity exports to the US?  Probably not, our "leader" is too afraid to make waves and is probably in hiding

Serious, when is the next federal election?

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

We have never been in much of a power position with regard to US trade.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#109 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:48 AM

^uhhhhh, you do understand that almost all of the NE USA would be in brown outs without Canadian electricity?  We are their largest supplier of oil, just watch pump prices and riots start if taps were turned off.  There is a long list

Attitudes like that and we will be licking Trumps shoes for the rest of our lives.  We need to take a harder line and show Trump he can do what ever he wants which is his right, but if you want to shut off steel exports, no problem, we shut off electricity!

• sdwright.vic likes this

#110 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:28 AM

^I agree. Especially since our reprieve is based on being good little peasants to Mr. Trump with NAFTA negotiations.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:54 AM

^uhhhhh, you do understand that almost all of the NE USA would be in brown outs without Canadian electricity?  

And if we did not choose to sell it to the US, who would we sell it to?

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:58 AM

We are their largest supplier of oil, just watch pump prices and riots start if taps were turned off.  There is a long list

We supply 15% of their oil.  And if we switched that off, we have barely any capacity to ship our oil elsewhere.

#113 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

^its not going to be an issue because they will be crawling and begging on their hands and knees to turn it back on.  Do you really think the entire NE USA is going without power for more than a day?

same thing with oil, just shut off the tap, when gas prices spike across the USA there will be riots in the streets.  The tap will be back on pretty quick

and when that happens we show them who is boss.  Either that, or you can be like Trudeau who is afraid of his own shadow

#114 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

We would not exist without US trade. We’d be like Minnesota or North Dakota. We have a lot to be thankful for, living beside the richest nation in the world.

#115 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:40 PM

^I do NOT agree with you at all.  By that definition then Mexico should be as well off as we are.  Wealthiest country on earth huh - the same country that collapsed because of out of control debt only 6+ weeks ago and their debt levels continue to be out of control?  the same country that if you don't have health insurance you better pray for a miracle?

Any American who tells me I am lucky to live next to the US will definitely get an ear full from me

Shut off the oil supply and watch them come crawling.  The Rodney King riots will look like a peaceful demonstration when gas prices skyrocket.

What you are saying is we should be kissing Trump's shoes and thank him for the crumbs.

• jonny likes this

#116 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

Australia exists just fine without close proximity to the US. New Zealand too. In fact, they are literally in the middle of nowhere and do just fine. Rule of law, freedom, democracy and tolerance is why we do well. Close proximity to the US is incidental.
  • nerka likes this

#117 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

Australia exists just fine without close proximity to the US. New Zealand too. In fact, they are literally in the middle of nowhere and do just fine. Rule of law, freedom, democracy and tolerance is why we do well. Close proximity to the US is incidental.

Without US global maritime supremacy the Australian economy would be SOL just like everyone else

#118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:33 AM

Australia may be just fine without the US as a neighbour, but Australia is no Canada on so many levels.

And there is a reason why 80% of Canada's population straddles the American border.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:09 AM

It’s 90% and yes. And the figure is increasing. Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver are the fastest growing cities and they are all within 30 miles of the border.

Canada and Australia do well because of the Westminster parliament system. US has a slightly different version. A lot of the rest of the world, including Mexico and Africa do poorly because of corruption.

Australia benefits from being near Asia.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 March 2018 - 05:12 AM.

• jonny likes this

#120 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

I think the biggest reason for our population to be concentrated along the border has to do with weather. The further south, the better the weather, in general.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users