APPROVED
Parkway
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1518 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Parkway is a proposal to restore the two-storey Wellburn's Market building at the intersection of Cook Street ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Parkway on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] Parkway (Wellburn's Building) | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#61 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

Really not feeling this. I liked the Scott Building proposal (besides what they want to do with the ground floor of the Scott Building itself), but there is just nothing connecting the two styles. I might like the building on its own but as an addition to the Wellburns building, it just looks jarring. 

#62 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

From the developer’s website:

“This proposed mixed-use Victoria development is at the site of the Wellburns Market heritage building at the intersection of Cook Street and Pandora Avenue, the eastern gateway to downtown Victoria. On a transit route and bikeway along Pandora Avenue, this well-situated site in North Park, one of Victoria’s oldest neighbourhoods, is well connected to the city. The project includes the rejuvenation of the existing façade of the heritage building facing Cook and Pandora to retain its’ original character, while three new mixed-use structures of 2, 4 and 6 stories in behind it will offer rental residential, commercial and street level retail fronting the main streets. It will also incorporate a contemporary breeze way connecting the activated streets to Franklin Green in behind. Surrounded by lush parkland with desirable views adjacent to not only Franklin Green, but Harris Green Park to the south, this well-known corner on the parkway will be brought back to its’ distinguished eminence.”

Other renderings from the website:

9E451AD6-916C-49E7-8132-551D3968831F.jpeg

54E71056-83B5-4095-994A-1000EFD773D4.jpeg

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

It's interesting to see that this project will reduce the need for motorized vehicles entirely on Cook Street.

On a more serious note, is it stated on which side that 2-level breezeway will be? I am not sure from the above rendering.

#64 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:29 PM

Did anyone (Nparker?) make it to yesterday’s community meeting, and if so, what was the reaction/feedback to the proposal...?

The NPNA tweeted that the meeting was well-attended.

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 02 August 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:33 PM

Did anyone (Nparker?) make it to yesterday’s community meeting, and if so, what was the reaction/feedback to the proposal...

I did not attend. While I am curious as to the community reaction, if the NPNA was present, I can't imagine the developer received much praise.

#66 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:41 PM

NPNA’s tweet shows the crowd, and I spot Rold there (the proprietor of the barber shop in the building): https://mobile.twitt...842164000321536

#67 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:13 PM

I like how my cat retained the character of the original building and then designed a box that is completely alien around it that doesn't at all integrate.  I mean, it's a pretty good architectural design for a feline, especially because this development ticks couple of key boxes: 1) Retains heritage and 2) Recessed top floor because people on the ground would turn to stone if they saw the top floor from way down there.  Meow!

#68 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:29 PM

NPNA’s tweet shows the crowd, and I spot Rold there (the proprietor of the barber shop in the building): https://mobile.twitt...842164000321536

I wonder if anyone not currently receiving a pension check showed up.

• jonny likes this

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:00 PM

I wonder if anyone not currently receiving a pension/welfare check showed up.

There. Fixed that for you.

(I know I am going to hear about this)

• jonny and tjv like this

#70 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:07 PM

I was under the impression that North Park’s demographics skewed younger than the city average...?

#71 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

I wonder if anyone not currently receiving a pension check showed up.

From an NPNA tweet of last night's land use information session.

NPNA.jpg

#72 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:13 PM

I was under the impression that North Park’s demographics skewed younger than the city average...?

demographics.JPG

https://www.victoria...ighbourhood.pdf

#73 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

So what is the purpose of trying to retain the Wellburn's building?  Are they trying to skirt some setback rules by retaining the structure?  as for the exterior, I've thrown away pieces of bubble gum more interesting than that (I cleaned that one waayyyyyyyyyyy up from what I would have said if there weren't posting rules hehe)

#74 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:12 PM

So what is the purpose of trying to retain the Wellburn's building?  

It's a landmark structure in the neighbourhood and worth restoring.

#75 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

I don’t think the city would permit the demolition of Wellburn’s facade as the building is on the Heritage Registry.

#76 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:51 PM

There. Fixed that for you.

(I know I am going to hear about this)

My snarky comment was about the age of those present in the meeting, haha. I think those standing accounts for everyone under 50. Definitively expected a younger bunch considering the neighborhood (for reference, the CoV's median age is 42.7 as of 2016).

#77 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:52 AM

From an NPNA tweet of last night's land use information session.

Looks like Loveday was the only person younger than 50. 

[It also looks like a really angry UVic humanities alumni gathering.]

Edited by jonny, 03 August 2018 - 07:52 AM.

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:55 AM

...[It also looks like a really angry UVic humanities alumni gathering.]

:D

#79 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

The peace sign guy is trying to compensate for the seething anger about to boil over at the gathering, but nobody's buying it. 

#80 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:05 AM

That's a pretty ugly design, and definitely does not integrate well with the retained facade.  Like someone took a black shoe box and just slammed it down in the corner.

(And I say this as someone who generally likes the squared-off homes using darkened wood exteriors)

Edited by Jason-L, 03 August 2018 - 10:05 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users