APPROVED
Parkway
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1518 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Parkway is a proposal to restore the two-storey Wellburn's Market building at the intersection of Cook Street ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Parkway on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] Parkway (Wellburn's Building) | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#41 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

Right! so a bunch of nobodies basically and from what NParker said not eveng elected by the residents of the neighbourhood. I say they should be ignored. It would be the same as a everyone here starting the VV Neighbourhood Association. 6 storey for this site REJECTED, can I get a seconder?

Yes I'm kinda half serious, half joking. If the NPNA came out of nowhere unelected then the VVNA should be able to also to put recommendations forward

There are no legal requirements for an owner of the property to meet with a tenant about plans for after their lease expires. Say the lease expires July 31, 2019 then the demo crew can arrive August 1st

I agree, there are no strict legal requirements for this to happen (landlord/tenant discussion), but District has opted to meet with Wellburn’s and Welburn’s Sublease tenant (Rolf’s Cook Street Barber).

In terms of the CALUC meetings: anyone can actually attend these as they are open to the general public. Usually they solicit feedback from those in attendance via requests for comments, straw polls, etc. The feedback from all in attendance is summed up in a letter to the city that becomes part of the application process.

#42 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

There are no legal requirements for an owner of the property to meet with a tenant about plans for after their lease expires. Say the lease expires July 31, 2019 then the demo crew can arrive August 1st

Staff are telling people who question that "we're all good! Our lease runs to 2030!"

I would say the owner is selling the staff a bill of goods so they don't start looking for new jobs.

Even if it was "good till 2030", I think there are ways around that, which may be what this meeting was about. Maybe offering Wellburns first right of refusal?

Not sure the legality of a lease with new owners and demolition plans in the buildings future?

TJV thoughts?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#43 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

In terms of the CALUC meetings: anyone can actually attend these as they are open to the general public. Usually they solicit feedback from those in attendance via requests for comments, straw polls, etc. The feedback from all in attendance is summed up in a letter to the city that becomes part of the application process.

Except in the part of NPNA, who bullies anyone that speaks out against the beliefs of the dear leader.

#44 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

...there are no strict legal requirements for this to happen (landlord/tenant discussion)

Sure, but we're talking about a business that has been operating on the same premises for more than a hundred years and under the same owner for almost 40 years. If they have a decent relationship with the developer then why wouldn't the developer share the plans with them? What's the big deal? Do Victorians want every endeavour to be an adversarial drama-fest by default, just 'cuz?

Edited by aastra, 20 July 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#45 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:02 PM

^...not a big Weellies fan, so...

No matter how old they are. Age, does not nesacerally mean it should continue... especially when that longevity is being used as an excuse for why it should.
  • weirdie likes this

#46 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

Staff are telling people who question that "we're all good! Our lease runs to 2030!"

I would say the owner is selling the staff a bill of goods so they don't start looking for new jobs.

Even if it was "good till 2030", I think there are ways around that, which may be what this meeting was about. Maybe offering Wellburns first right of refusal?

Not sure the legality of a lease with new owners and demolition plans in the buildings future?

TJV thoughts?

that's a tough one.  Lets assume the owner is telling the truth and their lease does run to 2030 which is quite possible.  In a standard lease then the developer is obligated to keep the space as is until the lease expires.  The landlord can offer to buy out his lease and vacate, but there is no obligation to accept.  Most leases typically run in 5 and 10 year incriments, but there can be built in options to renew as well.  I have a lease with a bank that has a 10 years initial lease followed by four 5 year options to renew so basically its a 30 year lease

One option the landlord has is including in the development a space to fit Wellburn's plus a cash incentive to compensate for loss of profits during the construction phase

Now for the reality for Wellburn's, there will be a giant new Save on Foods opening just 500-600 ft away with low prices that Wellburn's couldn't compete with.  I would think that Wellburn's, and to a certain extent The Market on Yates, will have trouble surviving going forward.  They would be smart to look at closing up shop in the next year because the chance of them surviving is slim

Now from a business perspective they are probably lying to their customers and staff to keep the doors open until Save On opens.  Its a tough labour market out there and they want to hold on to their staff as long as possible.  Yes I agree with you

• sdwright.vic likes this

#47 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:16 PM

...Do Victorians want every endeavour to be an adversarial drama-fest by default, just 'cuz?

I can't imagine a scenario where the redevelopment of this property won't be a drama-fest, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong*

* which I am willing to admit - having seen more of the latest Ironworks renderings - sometimes I am

Edited by Nparker, 20 July 2018 - 08:38 PM.

#48 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

The architect is MG Architecture of Vancouver, the same firm that District is partnering with for the Scott building project at Douglas and Hillside.

MG Architecture is also known for extensive use of wood, including tall wood buildings. I hope that wood is used in the 6 storey portion of this development to really make it a unique part of North Park/Harris Green!

#49 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:55 AM

T-C article : http://www.timescolo...iled-1.23383333

#50 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:18 AM

Here's your first look:

Wellburns-building-redevelopment.jpg

• Nparker and RFS like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:22 AM

The NPNA is going to loathe this. WAY too "gentrified".

#52 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:30 AM

I like the concept of contrast between old and, but that just doesn’t work. There also needs to be some sort of logical connection or transition between the two and I don’t see that either. Finally the top looks too similar to apartment blocks built in the late 70s, early 80s, just jazzed up a bit.

Thanks for the update! Hope this one evolves a bit, exciting potential for this corner.

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

Don't mind the little section at the end but the main part looks too dark and too monotonous for that length.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

The design harkens back to the developer's proposal adjacent to the Scott Building.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#55 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

It looked better next to the Scott Building. Does not mesh with Wellburns at all. That rendering is grotesque.

#56 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:13 AM

Hopefully there are some better renderings for the announcement tomorrow. There's no way they can actually be proposing something that bland and uniform.

Curious as to what will happen to the roof of the Wellburns building - will it be a common space for the residents?

• Nparker likes this

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:19 AM

I suspect this is it. There may be more angles, but this is the gist of the design.

Know it all.

#58 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:22 AM

I suspect this...is the gist of the design.

It feels very "preliminary"; like an advanced massing study more than a detailed rendering.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

Right, that's what I meant.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#60 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

Based on the architect, I am going to guess that the lighter ceilings are wood. I wouldn't be surprised if the black is actually burnt wood, i.e. what we saw on the first submission of the Rhodo in Fairfield. Could be quite striking, and a welcome reprieve from spandrel!

Here's an example of burnt wood cladding with natural wood elements

c3f84bb0ece3371a1219a3fd56780b26.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users