Photo

Pacific FC | Canadian Premier League

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#621 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 09:07 AM

I don’t quite get what LANGFORD gets out of subsidising the stadium.

More people going to a stadium generally has a positive economical impact for the area.

#622 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 09:10 AM

That area is going to have a pretty cool commercial village vibe once Westhills moves on its residential towers and commercial node, but that’s going to take a decade-plus to execute.

The one missing element will be the train, which I think everyone had expected to connect Langford with Victoria by now, given the work of the ICF, but it’s pretty apparent today the best we can hope for are BRT lanes down the Colwood Strip.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#623 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,241 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 08:56 PM

The City of Langford says it plans to hold a referendum on whether it should borrow money to expand Starlight Stadium, after Pacific FC did not automatically renew its agreement to operate in the stadium due to its current size.

Pacific FC originally came to Langford and agreed to operate out of Starlight Stadium, on the condition that the seating be expanded to 10,000 seats from its current 6,000, which was inhibited by the hydro pole that was in the way.

The hydro pole has now been moved, at a cost of $4.25 million, but the status of expanding the seating seems to be up in the air.

Council has approved $50,000 to be spent to come up with design renderings to add the additional 4,000 seats.

However, given the anticipated cost of expanding the seats, which was estimated at $4.5 million in 2022, council has opted to hold a referendum on whether it should borrow money to expand the seating at Starlight Stadium.

“The City has been working closely with Pacific FC (PFC) to negotiate a new Stadium Use Agreement for another five-year term,” the City of Langford said in a Facebook post Friday.

“As part of the negotiations, PFC has stated that the completion of the stadium is critical to the continued growth and long-term viability of the Team and to bring world class events to the region.”

“While negotiations are complex and involve numerous intertwined agreements between the City and PFC, the City has presented a mutually beneficial offer of a new five-year Stadium Use Agreement to PFC. The City is optimistic that this will be finalized in the coming days and that PFC will continue to play in Langford for years to come.”

Langford did not include information on when the referendum would be held.

https://www.cheknews...ansion-1190275/

#624 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 09:21 AM

Lots of rumours floating around over finances of the team and the financial expectations of Langford not being in alignment.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#625 m3m

m3m
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 12:58 PM

I’d rather see Royal athletic park updated to a soccer specific stadium. The lot is honestly the perfect size and dimensions for like a 15,000 person stadium.
It’s got that parking lot across the road that can be like a plaza for tailgating, pregame stuff.

Council will approve it because an urban footy stadium is verrrrrry European.

#626 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,241 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 01:00 PM

RAP hosts 30 HarbourCats games. Why kick them out for 14 soccer games? Can’t they both align?

#627 m3m

m3m
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 01:03 PM

Harbour cats can play anywhere. They average like 1500 people a game. Mostly kids and people who get free tickets from realtors

#628 m3m

m3m
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 01:14 PM

Harbour cats can play at the newly renovated beacon hill cricket grounds. I’m still fleshing out the details on that proposal though.
  • aastra and Sparky like this

#629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 04:01 PM

There might not even be a Canadian soccer league not too long from now, while the HarbourCats are only growing in their fan base. We might kick ourselves if the HC have to leave.
  • Ismo07 likes this

Know it all.

#630 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,241 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 06:06 AM

UVic Vikes to get taste of pro soccer against Pacific FC

Uvic Vikes soccer team meets Pacific FC of the Canadian Premier League in a friendly Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Centennial Stadium.

#631 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 01:57 PM

There might not even be a Canadian soccer league not too long from now, while the HarbourCats are only growing in their fan base. We might kick ourselves if the HC have to leave.

Yeah I don't get the impression this league is going strong...

#632 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 02:02 PM

Harbour cats can play anywhere. They average like 1500 people a game. Mostly kids and people who get free tickets from realtors

I think closer to 2,500...

#633 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:13 PM

Yeah I don't get the impression this league is going strong...

What makes you think that? CPL attendance has been up, there's new teams in more supportive markets, and while the league's in the hole, they knew this could be a 20-30 year turnaround.

I think PFC will continue to play in Langford for the foreseeable future, and until it can consistently fill the existing seats I doubt it's going to be an actual issue for the team. I DO think the stadium would be a better draw if it could sit 10k but in the next year or two it's IMHO a bit of a moot point.

#634 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,241 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:18 PM

People watch sporting events about as much as they stream an entire song now.

It’s not really happening.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 March 2024 - 03:20 PM.

#635 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,354 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:18 PM

I've never gone because I have no desire to deal with the parking hassle with a family of young kids.

#636 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:20 PM

What makes you think that? CPL attendance has been up, there's new teams in more supportive markets, and while the league's in the hole, they knew this could be a 20-30 year turnaround.

I think PFC will continue to play in Langford for the foreseeable future, and until it can consistently fill the existing seats I doubt it's going to be an actual issue for the team. I DO think the stadium would be a better draw if it could sit 10k but in the next year or two it's IMHO a bit of a moot point.

I thought I heard the league lost that support from the big TV deal.. Was it Italian TV or what was the big sponsor when it started..  Started as a 10 year deal and ended a couple months ago, after only 5 years..  That's not positive...  I don't think CBC Gem will bring as much revenue.

Each club has to pay a minimum of $30k per player and must spend between $750k and $1.125M on the roster..  They need a good revenue deal.

Edited by Ismo07, 08 March 2024 - 03:23 PM.

#637 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,241 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:21 PM

There is a lawsuit over TV stuff.

#638 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,241 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:22 PM

Canadian Soccer Business takes back broadcast rights from Mediapro, launches legal action

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7095184

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 March 2024 - 03:23 PM.

#639 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:53 PM

Canadian Soccer Business takes back broadcast rights from Mediapro, launches legal action

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7095184

Yeah they paid so much to help get it going but just not enough viewership to support it unfortunately.  You think the courts will step in?  They lost a lot of money...

Edited by Ismo07, 08 March 2024 - 03:55 PM.

#640 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 04:01 PM

Wow, I hadn't seen this whole mess. This sounds like a big problem for the league owners... although given the lawsuit it doesn't sound like the financials for the streaming were working out too well anyways.

Maybe just stream the games on Youtube and build up support through exposure?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users