Pacific FC | Canadian Premier League

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#121 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:14 AM

When you co-own the team, however, you can do things like that.

The kit and colours for all seven teams in the new professional Canadian Premier League were unveiled Thursday in Toronto.

“For players, it’s the simplest jerseys — with the small details — that work best,” Simpson said.
“Players don’t like huge contrasts in colours or design. Players love very basic and very well fitted.”

https://www.timescol...turf-1.23781607

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2019 - 04:15 AM.

#122 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:18 AM

I'd say Winnipeg has the best and we probably have the worst

ours are close yes. probably having the timmies logo wound have brought them down to #9. looks like the owner designed them. not sure that’s always the best course.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2019 - 04:19 AM.

#123 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:37 AM

Are two teams sponsored by Volkswagen? Is that what that is on the front of our jerseys?

"In this week's match-up we have the purple VW Golfs matching up against the light blue VW Jettas"

When I look at that picture of all the teams, aside from our questionable colours, I have no ideas which team is which. I don't understand why anyone would want to buy a soccer jersey with a giant ad for some soulless corporate entity on the front. 

• Mike K. and jonny like this

#124 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:47 AM

"In this week's match-up we have the purple VW Golfs matching up against the light blue VW Jettas"

When I look at that picture of all the teams, aside from our questionable colours, I have no ideas which team is which. I don't understand why anyone would want to buy a soccer jersey with a giant ad for some soulless corporate entity on the front. 

That's par for the course with soccer, though. Aside from the various major league sports in North America, worldwide it's pretty much the norm to sell jersey space to corporate sponsors. Even the most famous rugby team in the world has the American International Group logo on their chests, larger than the silver fern.

For a truly horrific jersey, look at the hockey jerseys in the various European leagues, which are easily mistaken for the classifieds section of a newspaper.

• jonny likes this

#125 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:48 AM

nba uniforms have corporate logos now.
  • m3m likes this

#126 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:48 AM

For comparison, here are the new MLS kits this year: https://www.footyhea...19-jerseys.html

#127 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:52 AM

Full disclosure, I say this as someone who has multiple Whitecaps jerseys with a big ol' BELL across the chest  ;)

#128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:53 AM

also if you do not like this year’s unifirns they promise to get new ones every single year.

#129 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:00 AM

isn't MLS the top tier?

Yes. Both MLS and CanPL are designated Division 1 under FIFA rules.

No, I don't for one minute pretend that the CanPL is competitively at the same level as MLS for 2019. They have way more money to spend and therefore can afford better players.

Well, there's the amateur bus leagues (Royals and Harbourcats and semi-pro Shamrocks) vs professional costs and the enormous travel budget in the CPL (stretches from Vic to Halifax).

I'd also note that there are well-priced ticket packages for Pacific FC (6 games for $99).

And it should be noted that season tickets for this year include a replica jersey making it a great deal.

It's almost like you don't watch soccer since virtually every professional team (and most amateur teams) on the planet have a sponsor logo on the front of the jersey.

Teams are distinguished by colours and all you really need to know watching games is that we will generally wear purple at home and teal away. 

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#130 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:03 AM

37716208_l.jpg

Probably the best selling t-shirt in the world is Chevrolet United FC's home kit

• SimonH likes this

#131 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

Just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean they should do it... but whatever. I much prefer hockey jerseys because of the lack of corporate advertising. Heck, they don't seem to even have a Nike swoosh anymore.

http://www.nhlshop.ca/Jerseys

#132 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:11 AM

Just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean they should do it... but whatever. I much prefer hockey jerseys because of the lack of corporate advertising. Heck, they don't seem to even have a Nike swoosh anymore.

Only a matter of time...

Ads are already on jerseys in the AHL

#133 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:12 AM

It's too bad they couldn't add mustard yellow highlights to it, as then it could be a legitimate homage to the 1994 XV Victoria Commonwealth Games volunteer uniforms!  I mean, they reached waaaay back to grab the cyan and magenta, why didn't they go whole hog and bring the mustard?

• Matt R. likes this

#134 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:32 AM

Anyone want to take bets on how long this team/league lasts?

#135 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:35 AM

Probably because they're made by Adidas  ;)

Nike makes some of the national team jerseys, including Team Canada and Team USA. Those have the swoosh on the collarbone. For NHL jerseys, the Adidas logo is on the back of the collar. Much more subtle than other leagues and sports worldwide!

• lanforod likes this

#136 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

Anyone want to take bets on how long this team/league lasts?

some teams will not return next year.  as for the whole league i'd say it goes 3 full years tops.

in other soccer news:

Another major sports property is leaving cable television in Canada.

Premier League Soccer broadcasts are coming to DAZN, the online streaming service that launched in Canada in 2017. The exclusive broadcast rights deal is for every Premier League match in England for the next three seasons, beginning in August. Premier League matches can be currently seen on TSN in Canada.

https://dailyhive.co...cer-dazn-canada

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2019 - 08:57 AM.

#137 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:23 AM

Yes. Both MLS and CanPL are designated Division 1 under FIFA rules.

No, I don't for one minute pretend that the CanPL is competitively at the same level as MLS for 2019. They have way more money to spend and therefore can afford better players.

And it should be noted that season tickets for this year include a replica jersey making it a great deal.

It's almost like you don't watch soccer since virtually every professional team (and most amateur teams) on the planet have a sponsor logo on the front of the jersey.

Teams are distinguished by colours and all you really need to know watching games is that we will generally wear purple at home and teal away. 

I watch soccer on occasion and understand that all their jerseys are corporate ads with a minor team logo in the corner.

What I was saying was, I don't understand why people would want to wear a Chevrolet or Bell jersey around for free, let alone pay top dollar for one. 

#138 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

I don't understand why people would want to wear a Chevrolet or Bell jersey around for free, let alone pay top dollar for one. 

because the team does not license or sell them without the logo.

#139 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:04 AM

You must not be much of a NASCAR fan...their pit crew tees are pretty sweet! Only $35 USD!

thumb.jpg

Edited by shoeflack, 05 April 2019 - 11:04 AM.

#140 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:09 AM

because the team does not license or sell them without the logo.

Which is why I'll never buy a soccer jersey.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users