BUILT
Hudson House
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1700 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 23
Hudson House is a 23-storey rental tower with a commercial component along the 1700-block of Blanshard Street ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Hudson House (Hudson Place 2) | Rentals; retail | 23-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
432 replies to this topic

#41 newbie_01

newbie_01
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:17 AM

condos. stratified apartments is the technical term for what people generally refer to as condos.

Edited by newbie_01, 04 January 2019 - 01:18 AM.

#42 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

So what’s the deal with stratified apartments? Are they rentals or condos?

Rent them initially to get around affordable housing requirements and then sell them as condos as soon as there is a new council?

#43 newbie_01

newbie_01
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:45 AM

110769.jpg
http://victoria.citi...on-place-two-2/
  • 2F2R likes this

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:41 AM

The terminology is wrong in the City's description of the project and the submitted plans incorrectly identify the units as rentals, but the project is proceeding as a condominium application complete with all of the steps required to proceed as a condominium. This will be corrected soon.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

Really solid building with nice height but no wow factor - I guess that’s a Vancouver thing now. Podium doesn’t jive with the tower, and a bit disappointing as I think Mike said he saw one amazing rendering of a retail lobby for this place. A blah strip of Blanshard though, so not sure what one could realistically expect in terms of retail.
  • songheesguy likes this

#46 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

The more I look at it, the more I like that the podium is different. I like the contrast. This building will span the entire block, so some variation will be good.

#47 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:02 AM

With high commercial vacancy rates it's no surprise this one won't include ground floor retail. No major loss considering all the development potential of the blocks right across the street.

Edited by Casual Kev, 05 January 2019 - 12:02 AM.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:32 AM

It includes about 8,000 square feet of retail space.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:11 AM

Hudson-District---Citified-January-10-2019.jpg
Artist's renderings of the 25-storey Hudson Place One tower (at centre), the 23-storey Hudson Place Two to its right and the already built Hudson Walk One, a 16-storey rental tower, as viewed from James Bay across Victoria's Inner Harbour.

23-storey residential tower unveiled as final phase of downtown Victoria's Hudson District

https://victoria.cit...udson-district/

The last phase of downtown Victoria’s mixed-use Hudson District residential and retail community has been unveiled by developer Townline.

Rising to 23-storeys with a planned 235 apartment and condominium suites, the 72-meter-tall tower (dubbed Hudson Place Two) will follow Townline’s 25-storey Hudson Place One, a 178-suite condominium currently under construction immediately to the west of Hudson Place Two’s future footprint.

Bordered by Douglas, Fisgard and Blanshard streets and Caledonia Avenue, the two block-wide Hudson District has emerged as a thriving new neighbourhood in the city centre presently comprised of 404 purpose-built rentals among three towers and 152 condominiums in the former Hudson’s Bay Company department store, a transformed 1921-built historic landmark for which the District takes its name and home to the artisan-inspired Victoria Public Market. [Full article]

Know it all.

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

This building would look so much better if the Hudson One was 27 storeys.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

This building would look so much better if the Hudson One was 27 storeys.

I agree. HP1 and HP2 are far too close to being the same height, but since the latter is already too wide for its height, I'd hate to see it built any shorter, unless it was also slimmed down considerably.

#52 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:17 AM

Thing is I know more people moving from town because they don’t feel safe walking downtown by themselves to work .they are govern
I have my doubts that the mentally ill ,drug deals ,thief’s safe injection sites and over all unpunished crime can live in harmony with regular working class folks .So far three people who own condos downtown have left good paying government jobs early .Mostly they didn’t feel safe . They all moved out of the downtown area .One was injured do to damage homeless did to a grate being lifted just enough to catch her foot and had a bad fall ..If your not going to make people feel safe it doesn’t matter how many downtown condos you build .Not saying they won’t sell because they will. Probably many times over
Walking to work stepping over people sleeping in door was scary and depressing.
I’m wondering how the homeless will react to their stomping grounds getting smaller with each mew condo filling up . Please police do a better job of protecting the average Joe .i personally was attracted years ago in front of shoppers waiting for a bus by a drunk who kept swinging a metal luncho kit at me hitting me a few times .
I stepped in because he was going after to small teen I girls .The stores had closed lots of people at the bus stop no one offered to help .This man thought I was his daughter and was verbally abusive . I was fifteen .I did not go to the police as I had a bottle of wine with me that I was taking home .People were standing around watching me get nocked to the ground for not wanting to get involved. They refused tho I was asking for help .For me the downtown area if not safe .And it’s only got worse .Clean up the downtown ares before building more condos .

#53 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:45 AM

I think actual statistics indicate that people are continuing to move downtown.

• Greg, DougG, songheesguy and 1 other like this

It has a whole new look!

#54 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:58 PM

I think actual statistics indicate that people are continuing to move downtown.

I’m sure they are but will they stay

#55 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

People will buy downtown that isn’t going to change.If they cleaned it up even a little stop open drugs dealings made people follow the minimum of the law more people would feel secure . Ask people who live near open drug dealings and shelters if they feel bright and sunny on their way to work in the morning especially if they walk .It’s bloody depressing.
Some will sell others will buy what becomes available . It could be so much better.

#56 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

Clean up the downtown ares before building more condos .

I kind of disagree....I think the more condos you build the more vibrant downtown is (more people on sidewalks, commercial frontage, etc.) and at least the perception of safety if higher. In terms of safety I would personally rather own on a block with 6 condo buildings then on a block with only 1 condo building (i.e., 834 Johnson currently). 

• G-Man, jonny, thundergun and 2 others like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#57 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:11 PM

^ Exactly. The more people and more buildings we have downtown the safer it will be. 

• jonny likes this

It has a whole new look!

#58 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:35 PM

^ Exactly. The more people and more buildings we have downtown the safer it will be.

I know you’re right I think I’m just getting frustrated.

#59 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

The biggest danger in that area are all the commuters racing into town at 70 km/h on Blanshard. If the city wants to make the Hudson district feel more like a safe neighbourhood, take a lane or two off Blanshard and widen the sidewalks - they are a disgrace especially with over 1000 people added to the area in the last few years. I'd love to walk to work without cars zipping by a few inches from the curb. 

Attached Images

• Blanshard sidewalk.jpg

• Brantastic likes this

#60 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:36 PM

I don't believe taking away lanes that are already heavily strained throughout the day is the way to go in the downtown area. If anything take the trees out of the sidewalk or work on dedication through new projects (which is the case in many developments). Or last case expropriate it, if there are no buildings right on the property line. 

The biggest danger in that area are all the commuters racing into town at 70 km/h on Blanshard. If the city wants to make the Hudson district feel more like a safe neighbourhood, take a lane or two off Blanshard and widen the sidewalks - they are a disgrace especially with over 1000 people added to the area in the last few years. I'd love to walk to work without cars zipping by a few inches from the curb. 

Edited by tiger11, 17 January 2019 - 05:38 PM.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (4)