Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#2261 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,710 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

And for some reason it has been decided that property owners should subsidize renters. The former's costs can escalate from external forces with little recourse while the latter essentially have rent control as long as they stay in the same location.

#2262 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:58 PM

At next week's COTW meeting the Mayor and council will debate the critical issue of a shark fin ban 

https://pub-victoria...English&Item=16

#2263 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:02 PM

At next week's COTW meeting the Mayor and council will debate the critical issue of a shark fin ban 

It's like the high school debate team got elected to council and think that it's their mission to implement every resolution even if it's outside of their jurisdiction or mandate.  At least when they were activists they could direct their efforts to those who actually can make changes - ie. department of fisheries and oceans or international trade...

• Nparker likes this

#2264 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,710 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:02 PM

At next week's COTW meeting the Mayor and council will debate the critical issue of a shark fin ban ...

Jesus wept.  :whyme:

#2265 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

Jesus cares more about animal cruelty than fixing potholes.

Lots of other BC cities are getting on board with the ban on this sick practice.

• thundergun likes this

#2266 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,710 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:17 PM

Jesus cares more about animal cruelty than fixing potholes...

Jesus never had to pay taxes in the CoV or he probably would have had a different perspective.

#2267 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

CoV is just voicing support for Federal Bill S-238. Vancouver did the same thing this week.

#2268 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:20 PM

Maybe Lisa could fly to China and meet up with the prime minister to see how important shark fin soup is to the culture before the debate.
  • Nparker likes this

#2269 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

Lots of other BC cities are getting on board with the ban on this sick practice.

Is there a single place in Victoria that trades in the business of shark fins?

#2270 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

The following COTW meeting will delve into the tricky subject of what Victoria City Council can do in order to change the regime in North Korea.

• mbjj likes this

#2271 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

The following COTW meeting will delve into the tricky subject of what Victoria City Council can do in order to change the regime in North Korea.

Hah not likely. More like how they can assist the current regime in resisting US imperialism
  • A Girl is No one, newbie_01 and Cassidy like this

#2272 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

Maybe Lisa could fly to China and meet up with the prime minister to see how important shark fin soup is to the culture before the debate.

I shouldn’t be so bitter towards her . My bitterness stems from being pushed too far. Never have I been this bitter against any politician at any level.Now every perceived discretion my spidey sense tingles .
  • mbjj likes this

#2273 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,710 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

What's even sadder is that Lisa Helps is not even the worst member of council.

• Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#2274 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

I shouldn’t be so bitter towards her . My bitterness stems from being pushed too far. Never have I been this bitter against any politician at any level.Now every perceived discretion my spidey sense tingles .

You should hear my husband. And he used to work for the city.

#2275 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

That's what happens when you have an irrational council.  Anything brought forward is viewed through the lens of what has been brought forward before.

This council is setting back environmental concerns without realizing it.  

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#2276 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

^^this!!!

#2277 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

If we can grow a human ear on the back of a mouse, can't we grow shark fins (sans shark) in a lab?

• sdwright.vic likes this

#2278 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

Regardless if I agree with you, our council continues to stray from their lane by dealing with Federal issues.
  • Nparker, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2279 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

Regardless if I agree with you, our council continues to stray from their lane by dealing with Federal issues.

Of course, because turning attention to local issues would mean having to DO something. Hence, sexual harassment by Trump is something to be protested, but sexual harassment on their watch, at VicPD, is something to be covered up. So much easier to ban shark fins, which takes no effort, while not trying to actually stop the drug addiction that's destroying untold numbers of lives in this city.

When you lack ability and courage, it's easier just to issue bold proclamations about things that you will never have to take real action on.
  • Nparker, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#2280 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

Hey Victoria, this is what a pragmatic and non-ideological council looks like:

https://www.timescol...mmGOe9r1RJO29Ko

A decision to require that 10 per cent of units in new developments have three bedrooms has been rescinded by Esquimalt councillors

“The requirement of 10 per cent could present problems in terms of projects coming forward,” Mayor Barb Desjardins said, adding that 10 per cent might be too much, especially for smaller developments of 20 or 30 units.

Edited by RFS, 19 May 2019 - 09:37 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users