Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#2301 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:32 PM

"food justice" is that this seasons most recent catch phrase?

#2302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:23 AM

Midnight and the Council meeting is still going on. 

Young says that CoV taxing citizens 500,000 a year to acquire farmland is not a small matter - Collins says this "hopefully" will be accepted by North Saanich, etc, is for "food justice".....Issit says this is 1/100th of a police budget.  Passed!

finally we own a state-run collective farm.  comrades.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 May 2019 - 03:24 AM.

• Nparker, jonny and AndrewReeve like this

#2303 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

finally we own a state-run collective farm.  comrade

"Strengthen Working Discipline in Collective Farms"

Attached Images

• 327px-“Strengthen_working_discipline_in_collective_farms”_–_Uzbek,_Tashkent,_1933_(Mardjani).jpg

• jonny likes this

#2304 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:34 AM

finally we own a state-run collective farm.  comrades.

i can't be sure but i think i can spot isitt, dubow and collins in this photo  ;-)

Attached Images

• diggers+mirth.jpg

Edited by tommy, 24 May 2019 - 07:35 AM.

#2305 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:39 AM

Meanwhile 99.999% of the food we consume in this region will still originate from outside of this region.

..,pumpkins notwithstanding.

Now imagine if the money going toward this communal farm were diverted towards food banks and agencies that volunteer to feed the needy. Millions of dollars would guarantee many years of provisions.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2306 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

How about we leave the farming to the farmers?  Really.  Yet another pet project that is throwing tax payer's dollars, without a clear mandate to do so, at an issue that is not the city's to solve.  

• Nparker, jonny, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#2307 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

what is the issue theoretically being solved?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#2308 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

The pampered and decadent academics on council want to play farmer
  • newbie_01 likes this

#2309 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:46 AM

The truly sad thing, is the election was less than a year ago.  We're less than 25% of the way into this new circus - and the tab that'll accrue by the time the next election happens will be painful.  Worse yet, by the time that rolls around, how many more "bought and paid for" via free food and housing "residents" will CoV have?  And all they have to do is vote, and the council will make that so incredibly easy for them to do so, by having polling stations right where they live.  All of it just illustrates in painful detail why amalgamation is needed more than ever.  It's too easy for people who really shouldn't be electable to win in the City of Victoria - in part because those who should be on council, don't want any part of the nightmare/circus that has been created (ie. meetings that last into midnight to ban horsedrawn carriages on completely fabricated grounds of animal welfare), and those same people have been made unelectable because they refuse to chase priorities well outside of their mandate.  They won't win because they understand that it isn't their job to eliminate poverty, eradicate homelessness, reverse climate change, and ensure all food consumed in the region is local.  They won't win because all they want to do is ensure that the city runs smoothly for those who live and work here, by ensure that there is adequate police services, that the roads are cleaned and maintained and that businesses want to operate in the city - in short the job a council should focus on.       

• Nparker, rjag, jonny and 7 others like this

#2310 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

^ by the same token, you are outlining the reasons why no other muni would want to amalgamate with Victoria.  

• jonny and pennymurphy2000 like this

#2311 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:18 AM

^ by the same token, you are outlining the reasons why no other muni would want to amalgamate with Victoria.  

And I think therein lies the conundrum. It would all be based on how the voting was organised. If it was a ward system then the opportunity may be there for folks with outlandish view to continue to be elected. However I think if you looked at the demographics of Saanich I doubt highly if these folks would survive 1 term.

My gut feeling is this experiment wont see the light of day because of the antics of Isitt. 

• jonny likes this

#2312 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

Be that as it may, the other munis should probably watch out 'cuz the crazy that starts in Victoria is beginning to spread further. How many others are now contemplating "single use" bag bans? Expensive bike lanes that are used by only a tiny fraction of the population? It would be better for the whole region to treat CoV politics like a cancer and eradicate it before it can infect the rest.

#2313 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

Be that as it may, the other munis should probably watch out 'cuz the crazy that starts in Victoria is beginning to spread further. How many others are now contemplating "single use" bag bans? Expensive bike lanes that are used by only a tiny fraction of the population? It would be better for the whole region to treat CoV politics like a cancer and eradicate it before it can infect the rest.

i think that if amalgamated it would eradicate the crazy rather then spread it...since the numbers in saanich (which would be the most likely amalgamation to start with) wildly out number those of little Victoria proper.. i think many of our current council would be laughed at if they tried to run in an amalgamated city and things like plastic bag bans, straw bans, very expensive bike lanes along with other issues a city shouldn't be making a priority (climate crisis for example, free bus passes for all) wouldn't have a chance to take hold or even make it on the slate

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2314 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:21 PM

i think that if amalgamated it would eradicate the crazy rather then spread it....

That was sort of my point. Without amalgamation, CoV politics will only become worse and their ideas are likely to spread even to the saner parts of the region.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#2315 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:15 PM

Thinking that the group that have a voting voice in city council wouldn’t be elected in an amalgamation is a huge mistake. It could happen nothing to stop rising taxes, rising pet projects and the down fall of basic services. If Lias or Ben had easy access to vast tax dollars who knows what they would do . Free bus passes would have been approved without a second thought. Bike lanes to all the best farms and city owned low income housing units . Neither Lisa or Ben are stupid . I never thought Lisa would get in for a second term . To me it was obvious she had screwed up .Do not underestimate the ability of anyone to get elected or that general public will vote .

#2316 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:15 PM

Thinking that the group that have a voting voice in city council wouldn’t be elected in an amalgamation is a huge mistake. It could happen nothing to stop rising taxes, rising pet projects and the down fall of basic services. If Lias or Ben had easy access to vast tax dollars who knows what they would do . Free bus passes would have been approved without a second thought. Bike lanes to all the best farms and city owned low income housing units . Neither Lisa or Ben are stupid . I never thought Lisa would get in for a second term . To me it was obvious she had screwed up .Do not underestimate the ability of anyone to get elected or that general public will vote .

we all know Victoria council likes to throw out crazy ideas and often forget what their key job is (running the municipality not fighting the bigger fight on things like climate change and food crisis or trying to do things well beyond what they can afford, the pool, bus passes for all) but how does saanich council fair for these sorts of crazy antics? are they more central level headed? (how many artists in residence does saanich have? victoria has what 3 or 4 now or is it more?) in the last dozen or so years has the saanich mayor ever taken a trip on the city dime for a greater good style project that isn't directly related to running the city?

#2317 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

This might answer your question.

https://www.vicnews....y-relationship/
  • Love the rock likes this

#2318 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:16 PM

Last thing we need is a Lisa Helps running Victoria and Saanich.
So far Saanich appears more level headed.
I think Lisa and Ben would do well on one of the smaller islands .
  • Matt R. likes this

#2319 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

Last thing we need is a Lisa Helps running Victoria and Saanich.

Do you really think Helps would have won that election?

• Midnightly likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#2320 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

Do you really think Helps would have won that election?

The one thing that NDP has shown is that they are extremely good at getting out the vote.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users