City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#3041 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

Looking at the Victoria candidates of the various parties, it looks like Collins would stand a very good chance of being elected.  It appears that the liberals have yet to select a candidate for this riding.  

#3042 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:43 PM

If it looks like Collins has a legitimate shot at winning the Federal seat for the NDP, making her essentially irrelevant, she'll be getting my vote. I'd do just about anything for a chance to add a potentially sane voice to CoV council for the next 3 years.

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#3043 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:45 PM

If it looks like Collins has a legitimate shot at winning the Federal seat for the NDP, making her essentially irrelevant, she'll be getting my vote. I'd do just about anything for a chance to add a potentially sane voice to CoV council for the next 3 years.

I've heard of strategic voting, but this is on a whole different level (of government)

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#3044 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:07 PM

and me i have a hard time with the idea of voting for her considering she just got elected on council and is already wanting to jump ship that could cost the city 200k in tax payer dollars while rewarding her with a huge bump in job title, salary and benefits...

• Hotel Mike, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#3045 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:53 PM

It's not a reward. Think of her as Ottawa's problem not Victoria's.

#3046 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:18 AM

While becoming an MP is a big step forward, keep in mind that being the MP for Victoria is about as long a haul from Ottawa as anywhere. It can become very draining, especially when you're on the back benches.

• VIResident likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3047 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:59 PM

Looking at the Victoria candidates of the various parties, it looks like Collins would stand a very good chance of being elected.  It appears that the liberals have yet to select a candidate for this riding.  

I still think Racelle Kooy has a decent shot at winning the seat for the Greens, given the Green Party's strength on the island and the fact that there isn't an incumbent (i.e. Rankin) running in the race.

#3048 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

Reminder that Collins earned the third highest number of votes in the municipal election, and the most votes out of the Together Victoria group. Only Isitt and Loveday garnered more votes, and even Helps received few votes than Collins.

#3049 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:07 PM

^ It's completely different when you get eight votes. Third highest in a one position race ain't so hot.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3050 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

It will also be interesting to see who the Liberals nominate this time for the Victoria riding.  Their candidate in the riding made was withdrawn in the last election after the deadline had passed to name a replacement.  That means that, in effect, there was no Liberal option for voters in my riding in 2015; the 'withdrawn' Liberal candidate remained on the ballot as a sort of 'zombie nominee'. I think it will be a closer race this time (assuming that the Liberals do a better job in candidate vetting); I assume that most Federal Liberal voters threw their support to incumbent NDP MP Murray Rankin last time around (rather than supporting the Green or Tory candidates).   

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#3051 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

They had someone and then she changed her mind
  • VIResident likes this

#3052 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:51 PM

If the Liberals had a credible candidate then we would know about it. They will probably have a nobody put their name forward just to say they have a candidate but they certainly don't expect to win.

#3053 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:05 AM

They would need a Stephen Andrews sort of candidate to have much of a chance.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3054 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:49 AM

They would need a Stephen Andrews sort of candidate to have much of a chance.

The sort of candidate who cannot get elected to city council? ;)

• shoeflack likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#3055 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:51 AM

Right. But being affiliated with NewCouncil dragged him down, I think. He ended up in ninth place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3056 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:38 AM

As much as I would love to see Stephen Andrew as our MP, I don't think he'd take it. He's probably a bit too moderate for the heavy left leaning voters in this riding.

To tedward's point, he should have taken a seat on Council, but couldn't even do that with the lean here. This is really Collins' to lose...maybe that opens Stephen to take her Council seat as an "independent".

• Nparker likes this

#3057 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:36 AM

Our environmentally "woke" council has already spent their entire 2019 travel allowance and then some.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=43376

#3058 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:01 AM

What I'm curious about is why Isitt's flight to Quebec City cost $93 in carbon fees (which the City billed itself and paid itself  :confused: ) but Helps' carbon fees for a flight to Montreal totalled $177.

The City will also be sending five elected officials to the UBCM annual conference in Vancouver, at a budgeted price of $11,500.

Also of note are these projected vs. actual costs for a Quebec City sojourn (not including can carbon fees):

Isitt - Federation of Canadian Municipalities - Quebec City | Budgeted: $2,700 Actual: $3,870

Helps - Federation of Canadian Municipalities - Quebec City | Budgeted: $2,406 Actual: $4,529

Loveday - Federation of Canadian Municipalities - Quebec City | Budgeted: $3,145 Actual: $3,583

The anticipated budgets spanned from $2,406 to $3,145, and not one landed anywhere near that budgeted price. What happened there? How did Helps' budget go from $2,406 to $4,529?

In that report it also shows that the travel budget is $2,999 in the red for the year.

Know it all.

#3059 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:05 AM

The anticipated budgets spanned from $2,406 to $3,145, and not one landed anywhere near that budgeted price. What happened there? How did Helps' budget go from $2,406 to $4,529?

In that report it also shows that the travel budget is $2,999 in the red for the year.

Didn't Helps shoehorn an extra stop into the schedule? I recall multiple events.

#3060 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:08 AM

Hypocrites, the entire lot of them.
  • Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)