Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#3081 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:47 AM

I suspect it's a little too early to include the mayor as council has yet to vote on the trip.

Possibly, but most of the approvals recently seem to come after trips have been booked.

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#3082 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

The sort of candidate who cannot get elected to city council? ;)

Hopefully more educated voters will turn out at the polls for the federal election though. Then he'd have a good chance.:)

#3083 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

I was gratified to receive free Laurel Collins bumpf in my mailbox a few days ago. I guess she has achieved her goals for CoV. And in just a few short months! Having served CoV taxpayers so well she has set her sights on achieving a far fatter paycheque (not to mention sweet benefits) at a bigger, deeper trough. Sad thing is she has a good chance as an NDPer in Victoria even if irrelevant, ineffective Jaggy & Co. are headed to electoral oblivion in a few months. Never mind, Laurel, no one ever sees the dark corner of the House so it won't be noticed if you don't show up.

#3084 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:36 PM

...Laurel Collins...has a good chance as an NDPer in Victoria...

And if successful in the Federal election she essentially becomes neutered as a Victoria politician. She's got my vote.

• rmpeers likes this

#3085 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:44 PM

I'm sure another Benchurian Candidate is being brainwashed at this very moment, ready to take her council seat if she wins. Must chafe Ben to have been passed over, but I'm sure the mayor job will be some consolation in 3 years.
  • Mike K., rjag, Daveyboy and 2 others like this

#3086 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:57 PM

I'm sure another Benchurian Candidate is being brainwashed at this very moment...

You win the Internet for today.

• Mike K. and A Girl is No one like this

#3087 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:22 AM

Looks like a trip to Utrecht might be on the cards for our Lisa:

https://youtu.be/Boi0XEm9-4E

#3088 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

Her Worseship's global galavanting is out of control.

#3089 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:18 PM

“Population of 350,000 people,” the gentleman says about Utrecht.

But there’s another 350,000 in its immediate metro, and 9 million in the Randstad.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3090 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:59 PM

Her Worseship's global galavanting is out of control.

but hasn't she spent her yearly allowance on vacations..oops work related trips and speaking engagements already?...

• Love the rock likes this

#3091 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:00 PM

but hasn't she spent her yearly allowance on vacations..oops work related trips and speaking engagements already?...

Why ever would an arbitrary thing like a budget alter any plans to pursue an opportunity to haphazardly import things done elsewhere's here?  

• rjag, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#3092 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:03 PM

Why ever would an arbitrary thing like a budget alter any plans to pursue an opportunity to haphazardly import things done elsewhere's here?  

Not to mention the opportunity to spread the "Lisa Helps" brand hither and yon at the CoV taxpayers expense.

• Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#3093 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:03 AM

So Alison James has been on the 'job' as the Mayor's CoS for just under 4 months now. I have been reading, with great interest, the challenges she has been having over the past month with her dissertation. Yesterday, it seems, she spent the day "wrestling chapter 3 into submission" as an example. https://twitter.com/alij_?lang=en

What I can't find is any mention of any work she is actually doing as CoS. Has anyone seen her at a council meeting, community event (representing the Mayor), or other official function?

Edited by spanky123, 20 August 2019 - 05:03 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#3094 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:48 AM

She was credited for organizing the opera performance along the 900-block of Pandora earlier in the summer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3095 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:00 AM

that speaks volumes.
  • VIResident likes this

#3096 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:14 AM

Your post from back in June, VW:

900 Block of Pandora - BBQ and Planning Charette - The Mayor's Task Force on Pandora is holding an urban planning charette (afternoon high-level strategizing workshop) on Monday June 24 from 2 to 5pm on the 900 Block. The event will be facilitated by City Urban Designer Joaquin Karakas, and architect Franc D'Ambrosio. Everyone is welcome. Participants will include people with live experience using the services on the 900 Block, residents, businesses, developers and more. Many thanks to Alison James from the Mayor's Office, and Janine Theobald from the Coalition to End Homelessness for coordinating this event. There will be a pre-charette BBQ on Monday June 17 from 11:30 to 1:30pm on the same block, complete with a pop-up show from Pacific Opera. Join us as we work together to answer the question "When you imagine the 900 block of Pandora Avenue as a safe healthy welcoming community, inclusive of all, what do you see?" - https://vibrantvicto...issues/page-828

Know it all.

#3097 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

Your post from back in June, VW:

"When you imagine the 900 block of Pandora Avenue as a safe healthy welcoming community, inclusive of all, what do you see?" - https://vibrantvicto...issues/page-828

i see our place closing, i see no shopping carts, bike trailers filled with belongings, or bikes scattered all over the lawns, i see no tents set up, i see a street free of needles and places where it's safe for children to play or a person to sit under the tree and not have to worry about their safety, safety of their belongings (purse/cellphone/book bag)

• Nparker and jasmineshinga like this

#3098 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:12 AM

Mayor Helps’ latest tweet involves tolling highway usage, and subsidies directed at drivers.

Drivers are addicted to taxpayer subsidies, and politicians are eager to behave like they’ve got an unlimited supply of the drug.” The huge cost of Canada’s ‘free’ public highway system should be an election issue

I don’t mind tolls if there are tolled and un-tolled options, but due to the dysfunctional highway system in our region the conversation around tolls is unnecessary/misdirected.
  • Hotel Mike likes this

Know it all.

#3099 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

And once again Her Worseship fails to understand the scope of a civic politician. Highways have nothing to do with her mandate. Just fix the %$%*# roads you are responsible for Lisa.  :angry:

• Hotel Mike, mbjj, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#3100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:29 AM

Adam Stirling of CFAX recently tweeted how he sees Victoria council becoming a mini parliament given the way they're approaching issues and overstepping their roles as municipal politicians.

What I find peculiar is how indifferent the province appears to be regarding much that is going on in the City of Victoria. It's like a cat just playing with a mouse, and only once in a while deciding to take a nip when the mouse forgets its being watched. The policing issue was partially resolved when the province stepped in and forced the hiring of six new officers, which will be coming online this fall, but significant funding-related problems still plague the force. The province (via Premier Horgan) also laughed at the idea of becoming the steward of the John A. statue when the mayor suggested it be handed over.

But the province did not step in when Victoria veered into the plastic bags issue. The province also didn't much care to get involved in the free bus fare issue, leaving that plan to keep rolling despite the 12 other municipalities choosing not to get involved and BC Transit nixing the idea when the true costs became evident. The province also didn't touch the horse-drawn carriage issue and council's near decision to kill an industry it didn't like.

Now we have a debate percolating over highways, and I'm certain the mess that has become Wharf Street is no doubt a topic among MoT engineers who must look at the dog's breakfast on that thoroughfare and just shake their heads.

• Nparker, AndrewReeve, Love the rock and 2 others like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users