Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
3750 replies to this topic

#3501 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,012 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:25 PM

...Some of that can be covered [by] Sunday parking revenue, some of it we may need to find other sources of revenue for...

As a CoV property tax payer I am pretty I know what "other sources of revenue" is code for.  :mad:

• Hotel Mike, Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and 3 others like this

#3502 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

As a CoV property tax payer I am pretty I know what "other sources of revenue" is code for.  :mad:

tax and spend tax and spend! not enough taxes? lets just dig into the city's contingency fund!!

• Nparker likes this

#3503 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

https://www.cheknews...ma9ZEvsBLYJDxL0

it looks like Helps and council has finally somewhat figured out the bus passes, well enough to start rolling out the program... and it's still a mess.. kids won't be able to claim a pass till december now (get one a some point at a date not yet decided in November for a december pass), the program isn't for all kids only youth 12-19, you need to go down to city hall with proof of address for said youth (because all youth have mail with their name on it and photo ID) and they don't state if this process is something that will have to be repeated monthly or if they can just get the pass mailed to them once they have proven they are a youth with a victoria address (i really don't understand why they cannot get this connected somehow with the school, if the school can co-ordinate vaccines for kids they surely can co-ordinate with the city these passes)

though i will say.. for the first time that i've read Helps finally admits that parking revenue will not cover the whole cost of these passes “Some of that can be covered Sunday parking revenue, some of it we may need to find other sources of revenue for, other parking revenues,” Helps said"

At the council meeting it was discussed that each student would have to go to City Hall every month to get a pass. The belief is that many people won't bother and that is how they will manage the costs.

#3504 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:05 PM

At the council meeting it was discussed that each student would have to go to City Hall every month to get a pass. The belief is that many people won't bother and that is how they will manage the costs.

i'm half tempted to go down and pick it up (my daughter turns 12 this week) then either turn around and sell it or give it away to a kid just to spite them (and ofcourse use the 1hr free parking in the city parkade to pick it up)

• Nparker likes this

#3505 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,495 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:54 PM

19-year-olds must use adult passes as discount passes only apply to those 18 and under.

When and why was the decision made to supply 19-year-olds with passes? Initially it was only to apply to all youth aged up to 18.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3506 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:06 PM

19-year-olds must use adult passes as discount passes only apply to those 18 and under.

When and why was the decision made to supply 19-year-olds with passes? Initially it was only to apply to all youth aged up to 18.

originally it was all school aged children...  now it's 12-19, i do think 19 is pushing it (i don't see 19 as high school aged.. but that's just me) the thing i question is the starting age of 12 why was 12 picked.. i get that kids under 12 can ride free WITH a paying fare.. but the average age for a grade 6 middle school student 11 (not uncommon to start middle school at 10 and turn 11 in grade 6)

#3507 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:30 PM

i'm half tempted to go down and pick it up (my daughter turns 12 this week) then either turn around and sell it or give it away to a kid just to spite them (and ofcourse use the 1hr free parking in the city parkade to pick it up)

I am outside of Victoria....I will pay you a quarter of the price.  It's like a paper route for your daughter.  She waits in line for 5 hours, the gets paid.  Good for you and good for me and better for the climate emergency. 

#3508 FogPub

FogPub
  • 380 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:24 PM

Costs of giving them out month-to-month, maybe; but the actual cost CoV pays Transit for the block of 7200 (or whatever number) passes themselves is locked in.

In any case, if you've any business at city hall in the last few days of Novermber, best to either move it up or put it off as it's probably going to be a zoo in there.

#3509 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:07 PM

I don’t know why, on every Remembrance Day, Ben Isitt takes it upon himself to make some asinine comment on his Facebook page. He would not be here if it wasn’t for the people who sacrificed EVERYTHING for his freedom

#3510 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,012 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:10 PM

I don’t know why, on every Remembrance Day, Ben Isitt takes it upon himself to make some asinine comment on his Facebook page...

Because that's just the sort of ****** he is.

• Belleprincess likes this

#3511 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:13 PM

As a CoV property tax payer I am pretty I know what "other sources of revenue" is code for. :mad:

They’re already putting an “extra” tax on business owners - they sent out a notice a number of months ago stating that it was for sidewalk maintenance and revitalization of derelict buildings. As well as some other random stuff. Don’t we pay for sidewalk maintenance already? Cash grab for their pet projects and ridiculous money wasting schemes ... or and their 60% wage increase
  • Nparker, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#3512 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:25 PM

I am outside of Victoria....I will pay you a quarter of the price.  It's like a paper route for your daughter.  She waits in line for 5 hours, the gets paid.  Good for you and good for me and better for the climate emergency. 

For the climate emergency, we need to think out of the box.  Ben and Lisa.....you can stop the commute....the cars!  Buy passes and give them away to commuters throughout the CRD.....a bus, bike and pedestrian utopia!  

Lisa....buy more bus passes for everyone in Canada.  It's your destiny.  

#3513 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,495 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:42 PM

North Park wants $30k from the City to hire a part time community development coordinator.

From an email:

URGENT APPEAL: $$ for our n'hood.

$$ for North Park
We need your help immediately! Please write to City Council and our Councillor reps (Sharmarke Dubow and Marianne Alto), make sure to cc us (board@npna.ca), fill out this budget input survey or speak at the budget input meeting on Thurs Nov 21 at 6:30pm at City Hall.

City Council is in the midst of its annual budgeting process. We have asked for $30,000 to allow us to hire a a part-time community development coordinator. This is just over 10 times the annual grant we currently get from City Hall. If successful, this would shift our base grant from 75 cents per resident per year to $7.50 per resident per year. The amount we are asking for is less than half what neighbourhoods with a community centre get as an annual base grant ($75000).

Imagine what we could do with $30,000 or even $75,000! By way of example, neighbourhoods with community centres have full-time executive directors, admin assistants and community development coordinators who play key roles in engaging and animating their neighbourhoods. These community centres hold free monthly dinners, organizing hallowe'en parties for kids, run daycare and afterschool programs, and organize weekly craft and food fairs. The list goes on!

We thought our June 2019 equity presentation would have made the case pretty clearly that certain neighbourhoods are bearing more than their fare share of burdens and need some additional assistance, but it turns out Council wants to hear from many more people before considering a 10x increase to our base grant - again from $2800 to $30,000. Without any overhead costs (buildings or programs to run) we'll sure get a lot of mileage out of that relatively small amount of community investment.

Better yet, tell City Hall we want the full $75,000 just like most other neighbourhoods get, and we can hire a full-time community development coordinator who can help us with our upcoming Local Area Plan update process, and outreach to hard-to-reach populations as we re-imagine the role the new Crystal Pool facility can play in community wellness.

As one of the densest 'have not' neighbourhoods in the city with the most people living in poverty (children, seniors, new Canadians), with the most renters, and a myriad of other barriers to well being - and one of the few without any community centre (see map below)- we would greatly benefit from this kind of neighbourhood-level community building.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3514 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,495 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:45 PM

It reads like it’s satirical. I don’t know what to make of it, to be honest.
  • Rob Randall and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#3515 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,951 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:47 PM

if the work they did was so great wouldn't they be about to get $2 or $5 per resident somehow themselves?  instead taxing their constituents?

#3516 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 769 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:36 PM

and they are the ones that did not want the new crystal pool health and wellness center  developed at the heart of the community (due to temporary loss of green space they would get back after the project is complete) which would be a hub for the community and offer many of those things...

• Nparker, grantpalin and pennymurphy2000 like this

#3517 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,012 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:50 PM

Sorry NPNA, there is no way I can endorse any more of my tax dollars going to your sad NIMBY organization.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3518 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,495 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:35 AM

Sooke’s Mayor Tait responded to Dubow’s transit challenge by saying it’s easy for him to make that challenge living in Victoria. Whereas in Sooke the town needs “dramatically better transit service.” She’s right. Outside of the central core BC Transit services are terrible to non-existent, but homeowners are still forced to pay a BC Transit tax as part of their property taxes and another BC Transit tax when fuelling their vehicles. On top of that transit riders that need to transfer (which many from outside of the core do) now have to pay $5 one-way, 2x the rate of other transit riders, if they’re only travelling by bus in one direction for the day.
  • AndrewReeve likes this

Know it all.

#3519 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,951 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:50 AM

Sooke’s Mayor Tait responded to Dubow’s transit challenge by saying it’s easy for him to make that challenge living in Victoria. Whereas in Sooke the town needs “dramatically better transit service.” She’s right. 

is there a better deal than this in all of british columbia?

30 rounds trips per day weekdays leaving from sooke from 5:03am to 12:50am.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2019.11.13-10_43_26.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 07:51 AM.

• GaryRanson likes this

#3520 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,495 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:02 AM

Looking at the schedule, the last bus that connects downtown Victoria leaves at 11:44PM. The 12:50 bus leaves you stuck at Langford Exchange (there are no buses connecting downtown at that point).

Also, from the schedule, 7 of those runs (from Sooke) are prior to 7AM, and another 5 runs are between 3PM and 6PM, leaving 17 runs spaced anywhere between 45 mins to over an hour apart from 7AM to 3PM, and 6PM to midnight. Weekend service is significantly worse, with fewer than 20 runs on Saturday and 15 on Sunday.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users