Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#4181 BobsUncle

BobsUncle
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:44 AM

But I couldn’t believe my ears when his interview was sent to me Sunday night.

It’s akin to what far-left Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps did in 2017 when she suggested that residents — including seniors — billet the homeless in a spare room just like Victoria did during the Second World War with workers who’d come to the city.

That idea quickly fell by the wayside when Helps told the National Post she couldn’t do it herself because her home contains confidential material.

This is even wackier considering Tory is proposing that seniors actually renovate or sever their homes to create a separate suite.

https://torontosun.c...for-extra-bucks

I've been wondering when this idea would be proposed. There's been a presumption that families will want to downsize instead of ageing in place in a home their attached to. I recall a local article recently about the ratio of bedrooms to occupants getting higher in some places. Empty homes taxes and commercial vacancy taxes have been talked about (and implemented). How long until we have an Empty Bedrooms Tax or some version thereof?

#4182 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

It’s akin to what far-left Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps did in 2017 when she suggested that residents — including seniors — billet the homeless in a spare room just like Victoria did during the Second World War with workers who’d come to the city.

That idea quickly fell by the wayside when Helps told the National Post she couldn’t do it herself because her home contains confidential material.

Plenty of households supplement their incomes with home stay students be it for ESL or Royal Roads and my neighbour who hosts people is not far left. Just someone who sees a need and has a spare room and likes "spare" cash. The suggestion could be seen as a way for our community to use its assets more efficiently rather than a far left loony idea. Perhaps it is just a different perspective

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#4183 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:47 AM

$850 a month for an international student! All they need is a room with a bed and a desk and food in the fridge.

Matt.
  • 29er Radio and Victoria Watcher like this

#4184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:03 PM

And yet despite the cost of living, and despite the seemingly lucrative passive income, the ESL agencies remain in desperation mode due to a shortage of homes. Some years ago when my mom had a few students the agencies were quite picky and only permitted homes in specific neighbourhoods, with specific requirements for each bedroom, etc. Today they'll take whatever they can get, it's just that much of a struggle to find these students homes.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4185 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

its my understanding that alot of successful organisations promote their team members to come up with crazy ideas because it can lead to something innovative AND actionable. Mentioning homestay students was meant to demonstrate that people can and do welcome strangers into their homes and that takes those people out of the pool of people competing against locals for precious living quarters. Here is a crazy idea from a well right of centre human being. If every household was required to ensure that every bedroom in their domicile was used by someone to sleep, then as a community we may look at new developments in our neighbourhoods in a different light. The requirement in itself may not "fix" the homeless or affordability issues, but it could prompt citizens to think differently about who they vote for. 

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#4186 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:28 PM

And yet despite the cost of living, and despite the seemingly lucrative passive income, the ESL agencies remain in desperation mode due to a shortage of homes. Some years ago when my mom had a few students the agencies were quite picky and only permitted homes in specific neighbourhoods, with specific requirements for each bedroom, etc. Today they'll take whatever they can get, it's just that much of a struggle to find these students homes.

I’ll report back in September. Someone’s gotta pay for my kids’ rent in Victoria. :)

Matt.

#4187 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:31 PM

I know someone that took in an ESL student--kid ate like a sumo wrestler. I think they lost money on the deal.

• rjag, Matt R. and Awaiting Juno like this

#4188 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:44 PM

I know someone that took in an ESL student--kid ate like a sumo wrestler. I think they lost money on the deal.

Yup some friends of mine have Grade 11-12 students from Korea and Japan and these skinny kids shoveled their weight in food every day! This next group they took in were Italian and Slovenian, much less hungry hippo!

Edited by rjag, 19 February 2020 - 09:09 PM.

#4189 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:43 PM

Yup some friends of mine have Grade 11-12 students from Korea and Japan and these skinny kids shoveled their weight in food every day! This next group they took in were Italian and Slovenian, much less hungry hippo!

$850 per month seems cheap - after all how is a childcare spot for a toddler $1200, you supply the food and only get care from 8am to 5pm?  And they're teens, so there's that.

• rjag likes this

#4190 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:05 AM

$850 per month seems cheap - after all how is a childcare spot for a toddler $1200, you supply the food and only get care from 8am to 5pm?  And they're teens, so there's that.

Yup its definitely more involvement, homework, outings, cultural stuff, language etc. We used to have short term homestays (1-3 weeks) when we first started out to help pay the mortgage....you do what you have to do and for various reasons

#4191 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:59 AM

Not sure about the $850 a month, perhaps it is just that one program. I know several people boarding foreign students and they are getting paid $2,500 - $3,500 a month. They don't do it for the money but they are not subsidizing the student either.

Edited by spanky123, 20 February 2020 - 10:12 AM.

• Awaiting Juno and VIResident like this

#4192 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,062 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:51 PM

Nearly 2,000 people have signed a petition calling for Coun. Ben Isitt’s suspension, following comments connected to recent protests.

Isitt attended a demonstration put on by the supporters of the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs as a citizen on Feb. 11. Following the demonstration, where allegations of assault were reported to Victoria police, Isitt chastised the police and the media.

Isitt is aware of the petition, but feels it is unfounded.

“While I welcome input from the public, this particular petition does not provide a reliable barometer of public opinion. Many of the signatories live outside the province and country,” he said in an emailed statement. “There is also no legal basis from removing me from public office, since I am in compliance with all provincial legislation relating to the conduct of municipal councillors. The petition appears to be motivated by opposition to my political ideas, rather than actual infractions of provincial law. I intend to do the job that 14,205 people elected me to do a little over a year ago.”

https://www.vicnews....llor-ben-isitt/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 February 2020 - 04:51 PM.

#4193 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:40 PM

Nearly 2,000 people have signed a petition calling for Coun. Ben Isitt’s suspension, following comments connected to recent protests.

Isitt attended a demonstration put on by the supporters of the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs as a citizen on Feb. 11. Following the demonstration, where allegations of assault were reported to Victoria police, Isitt chastised the police and the media.

Isitt is aware of the petition, but feels it is unfounded.

“While I welcome input from the public, this particular petition does not provide a reliable barometer of public opinion. Many of the signatories live outside the province and country,” he said in an emailed statement. “There is also no legal basis from removing me from public office, since I am in compliance with all provincial legislation relating to the conduct of municipal councillors. The petition appears to be motivated by opposition to my political ideas, rather than actual infractions of provincial law. I intend to do the job that 14,205 people elected me to do a little over a year ago.”

https://www.vicnews....llor-ben-isitt/

Really - 14,205 people actually voted for that guy? Unbelievable!  

#4194 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:57 PM

Not sure about the $850 a month, perhaps it is just that one program. I know several people boarding foreign students and they are getting paid $2,500 - $3,500 a month. They don't do it for the money but they are not subsidizing the student either.

Link?

Matt.

#4195 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:51 PM

...The petition appears to be motivated by opposition to my political ideas, rather than actual infractions of provincial law. I intend to do the job that 14,205 people elected me to do a little over a year ago...

How about the other 52,038 people who were eligible to vote for you but chose not to?

• mbjj likes this

#4196 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:11 PM

When I heard Ben on CFAX he was constantly banging on about how noble it is to protest. Must be a tiring life, all that protesting.

#4197 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:11 PM

We had a Japanese girl stay with us for about 6 weeks, but we didn't get paid anything.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4198 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:15 PM

Really - 14,205 people actually voted for that guy? Unbelievable!  

This forum is a little bubble of people that in way represents the electorate of Victoria. Ditto pretty much any Facebook commentary on a media link (or a VV link)

• Brayvehart likes this

#4199 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:38 PM

There is definitely a weird bubble of people who think that Isitt does a good job. I have never met anyone who takes him seriously or has anything good to say about him. It is a strange phenomenon indeed. Possibly they just check his name because they've heard of him?
  • Nparker likes this

#4200 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:33 PM

Possibly they just check his name because they've heard of him

Name recognition goes a long way to explain the extended tenure of certain past and present CoV councillors. 

• AndrewReeve likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users