Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#5121 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

^You think that's gauche? I will be also be in a hot tub with the second and third runner-ups from the Miss Saanich Fair Pageants, 1987 and 1976 respectively.

• Redd42, mbjj, Taj and 1 other like this

#5122 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:02 AM

Actually, that balances things out a bit.

#5123 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,008 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:32 AM

^ ^ it was called saanichton fair back then.
  • NotHudsonMack likes this

#5124 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:44 PM

What was going on with Adam Stirling and Sarah Potts?

It appears he called her out for liking an anti-police tweet and then UVic nutjobs started trying to bully him? (Much like the Helps campaign did last election)
  • Nparker and NotHudsonMack like this

#5125 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:40 PM

Sarah Potts has never had an original thought. Poster woman of what the academic left looks like.
  • Nparker likes this

#5126 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

What was going on with Adam Stirling and Sarah Potts?

It appears he called her out for liking an anti-police tweet and then UVic nutjobs started trying to bully him? (Much like the Helps campaign did last election)

More or less they called him a sexist because he was looking for answers to questions. Not even hard questions.
  • Daveyboy, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#5127 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:48 PM

I didn't have a chance to listen to his show today, but he is certainly sparring on Twitter with the type of angry extremists whose views seem to mirror those of Isitt/Loveday/Together Victoria cult.

Somewhat scary how crazed extremists seem to have so much influence in our local politics.

I guess the scam works because the candidate try to frame themselves as just nice, caring compassionate left-wingers, rather than immature, bitter, angry radical extremists intent on punishing their constituents?
  • Nparker, NotHudsonMack and newbie_01 like this

#5128 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:01 PM

More or less they called him a sexist because he was looking for answers to questions. Not even hard questions.

To add to this...it takes someone 5 minutes of listening to his show to realize he is not sexist - he hates all radical left equally!

#5129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:57 AM

I saw some of the posts. He said this feels like it was orchestrated, with Potts asking for 72 hours to make a statement to respond to a CFAX enquiry, then stating no comment when the time ran out. That was then immediately flanked by the Twitter-verse attack.

Stirling ran recordings from the latest council meeting on his Friday show, airing clips that I would imagine would be embarrassing for an elected official who not only had trouble discussing a motion, but made several major missteps by misidentifying BC’s COVID measures and describing them as though they were a jurisdiction’s like California’s. The mayor had to correct her by pointing out that BC does not have a shelter in place requirement, which the councillor claimed we did, and stated that if your home is a tent in a park you ought to be able to shelter in place full-time. I’m paraphrasing but that was the gist.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:24 AM

Further to this, a researcher from UVic’s CISUR (Centre for Substance Abuse Research) has alleged Stirling is sexist, but could not cite an example. Stirling has called out CISUR for employing a researcher that he says is spreading falsehoods. The researcher said, in a since locked down account, that nobody at CISUR cares for Stirling’s complaint.

A researcher at the @UVic_CISUR decided to start telling people I make “countless sexist remarks” on my talk show and when I confronted her she told me nobody at @UVic_CISUR cares what I think, and then when I confronted her she deleted that

Stirling says the concerted attack to label him a sexist for asking Councillor Potts to clarify her position was an attempt to shut him down and walk away from the issue.

That’s why they chose that topic for their hoax. I think they knew how deeply spreading a lie like that would cut me.

I think they hoped the threat of the hoax would cause me to abandon this story and censor my coverage, like a form of extortion.

They had another thing coming.

Any person who pretends they don’t see the ethical conflict is every bit the dissembling sophist they claim to rail against.

Today was disgusting. Ask too many questions about tent city fire protection, and tent city researchers make up smear about you. Then claim no link? Ha.

• Nparker, rjag and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5131 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:11 AM

Wow! Thanks for the summary Mike.

This sounds like the left’s modus operandi, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Adam’s hunch was right. We’ve seen this tactic used by progressives everywhere and many times over.

I wish I could hear this show.
  • Mike K., pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#5132 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:22 AM

I listen to Adam whenever I can, which is most of the time now! I looked at the profile of the person who claimed to be the researcher. I think her name is Gaelle. I clicked on the link and it says she has 0 followers and follows 0 people.

Another claim made was that the fire dept. only visits tent cities to remove people's sources of heat and cooking. Not that they might actually be concerned for fire safety. Adam thought that was ridiculous. I do too. So next time a tent catches fire, I guess the fire dept. shouldn't respond?

Also I think a couple of days previous, Potts "liked" a post made by someone else who said "Don't call the police on your neighbours" about ten times in a row referring to reporting your neighbour's misdeeds during the pandemic. I just don't get this police hate. Sure there are bad people in every line of work, but it's getting ridiculous.

• rmpeers likes this

#5133 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:23 AM

This sounds like the left’s modus operandi, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Adam’s hunch was right. We’ve seen this tactic used by progressives everywhere and many times over.

I told my daughter to listen online. Can you do that or are you at work? I think much of it is repeated in the evening.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#5134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:30 AM

Yes, 7PM on CFAX 1070AM.

There has been at least one account lock down, and I believe it was someone named Gaelle who told Stirling nobody at CISUR cares that Stirling was labelled a sexist (there was a screenshot taken of this post). If that's actually the case, we have a serious ethics problem at one of this country's top research institutions.

The account was incorrectly tagged (@FunUniverse instead of @FunUniverse_, with 267 followers).

The bio reads:

Research associate. MA in sociology. Soc justice activist. Harm reduction advocate. Tent city supporter. Intersectional feminist. Views here are my own

• A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.

#5135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:32 AM

Stirling is mad.

He's been thrust into a poorly orchestrated silencing attempt by UVic researchers, as it is described, that insinuated he's sexist and misogynistic for pursuing the tent city issue in relation to Councillor Potts' social media activities.

It is clear to any member of the public that this is retaliation intended to intimidate and chill journalistic inquiry on a matter of public importance — tent cities — at a critical time.

It was bad faith, transparently false, and clearly related to the pending byelection [sic].

Follow-up tweet:

The fact that it is being falsely and perversely distorted by political interests to attempt to make it appear that the attempt to intimidate went the other way — despite no plausible motive — only goes to further reveal the malice necessary to perpetuate it.

The issue boils down like so: UVic researchers focused on the topic of tent cities, addictions, etc., are described as having attempted to silence a journalist who began asking hard questions in relation to their topics of interest, and in reference to Potts, specifically. When this was exposed and questioned by that journalist and posited as an issue for a university to have researchers falsely accuse a journalist of being a sexist or a misogynist, one of those researchers said nobody at their department cared, followed by a laughing emoji.

Further, Stirling says this appears to be politically motivated given the pending by-election.

Know it all.

#5136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:33 AM

Sorry for the post mix-up. I moved the above post from another thread where I accidentally posted it, and it's now second in line to my post immediately following mbjj.

Know it all.

#5137 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:35 AM

Next tent city: UVic.

• A Girl is No one and newbie_01 like this

#5138 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:45 AM

I don't know anything about the background of this Gaelle person, and there are many good profs at UVIC.....but.    

Just because someone describes themselves as connected to UVIC doesn't necessarily make them that much more experienced than someone working their first job at McDonalds.   There isn't much of a step from High School to University.

#5139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:53 AM

That’s just one individual out of several.

Here’s a bio from another individual who was involved in yesterday’s posts, who is not only a PhD candidate, but also lectures undergrads at UVic:

He/Him, Settler, PhD Candidate, PoliSci and Indigenous Nationhood Teaching POLI 236/363 @UVic in 2019/2020 Anti-imperialism, Indigenous sovereignty, Syndicalism

Know it all.

#5140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:59 AM

Had to look up "Syndicalism":

syndicalism:

a movement for transferring the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution to workers' unions. Influenced by Proudhon and by the French social philosopher Georges Sorel (1847–1922), syndicalism developed in French labor unions during the late 19th century and was at its most vigorous between 1900 and 1914, particularly in France, Italy, Spain, and the US.

• newbie_01 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users