City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#5221 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:32 PM

Another complete swing-and-miss from CoV council.

For much more efficient movement of traffic (all kinds - foot, self-powered, and motorized) Government St needs to be fully reopened as a major arterial then made one-way southbound from Hillside to Belleville; with Douglas made one-way northbound over the same stretch.

#5222 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:55 PM

No matter what eventually happens, Government Street will never return as a major (or even minor) thoroughfare. 

That ship sailed long ago, and I can't see any local government (even after this current bunch are tossed out) ever backtracking on further pedestrianizing what is really the jugular vein of Victorias downtown (walking) tourist trade.

These by-law modifications that are proposed will presumably allow for COVID recovery (whether you agree or not, that's the intent), and will be used as a precursor to once again permanently alter Government Street.

Despite the myriad by-law amendments, articles, clauses, and stated intentions - the COV has made sure that once COVID is behind us, they will once again be able to legally delay every single application for anything "new" or "different" in the downtown core - and it seems almost obvious at this point in time that Government Street will never return to what it is today, even once COVID has passed.

#5223 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:01 PM

I am thinking that council feels it's now or never.  They can get some of these changes through under the guise of Covid and that there is no need to be concerned with the damage it might since everything is already a mess.  A new Victoria will someday rise from the ashes that more closely resembles their vision.

Of course it's more likely to promote investment and growth in places like Langford.

• Nparker, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#5224 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:09 PM

I am thinking that council feels it's now or never.  They can get some of these changes through under the guise of Covid and that there is no need to be concerned with the damage it might since everything is already a mess.  A new Victoria will someday rise from the ashes that more closely resembles their vision.

Of course it's more likely to promote investment and growth in places like Langford.

Will council chambers closed and no means for the public to provide direct input, the plan is to ram through as many policies as they can uncontested.

As I said earlier however, you could convert the entire downtown to a pedestrian mall but if 70%+ of your office workers are staying home then it isn't going to make any difference.

Edited by spanky123, 04 June 2020 - 04:10 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5225 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

It's already promoting very heavy investment in the West Shore!

It's also promoting investment in Saanich and on up the Peninsula.

I'm surprised that Telus isn't building their new facility out in the Westshore, but it's likely because the COV will brown nose Telus endlessly, and then bend over forwards for them, but Joe Blow will still be forced to spend $50K in permits before he's even allowed to break ground on his coffee shop, only to have his grand opening day arrive only to find out that not only are his windows broken any anything not bolted down has been stolen, but two or three guys took a dump in his entranceway on the way out the door.

A lot of COV types think of the Westshore as an area of "business expansion" outside of downtown Victoria ... when in reality it's an area of massive business refuge from downtown Victoria.

#5226 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:48 PM

did anyone read the Tc opinion piece from the splashes showroom owner?

some homeless guy barged in past his staff cries and horror and took a #2 in their bathroom display toilet.

#5227 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:52 PM

I read it, and the first thing that crossed my mind was just how completely out of it, with a non-functioning brain would you have to be?

I mean, other than a small child (as noted in the article), literally everybody in the world knows that those display floor toilets aren't hooked up to anything.

I guess the "no water in the bowl" thing doesn't really register if your brain has completely stopped working.

#5228 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:15 PM

That’s a good idea. Wonder why it doesn’t happen more?

Matt.

#5229 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:19 PM

I am thinking that council feels it's now or never. They can get some of these changes through under the guise of Covid and that there is no need to be concerned with the damage it might since everything is already a mess. A new Victoria will someday rise from the ashes that more closely resembles their vision.

Yes, COVID is a handy excuse. They are also no doubt trying to wreak as much havoc as they can while they are still a safe distance from the next election. When election time rolls around it'll be all feel-good livable communities, happy young tech families and such.

#5230 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:27 PM

did anyone read the Tc opinion piece from the splashes showroom owner?

some homeless guy barged in past his staff cries and horror and took a #2 in their bathroom display toilet.

The person is so ill that they don't recognize that they are sitting in the middle of a store and not in a bathroom.  It doesn't make any sense to blame the person because they are very ill, but rather it should go to the people and agencies like UVIC that put this person in that position through the "housing first" nonsense.

What did they think would happen to this individual?  Throw him inside somewhere and high fives all around while singing kumbaya?......except then what?

• Nparker likes this

#5231 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:37 PM

or he’s not ill but just an asshole. that knows nothing will happen to him even if the cops were called.
  • Spy Black likes this

#5232 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:58 PM

And you're telling me no one filmed this??

#5233 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:37 AM

Oh it’s on film. But not something people would need to see. The story is just fine, thanks.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5234 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:39 AM

the store has lots of security cameras.  they have it i assume.

#5235 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:45 AM

The person is so ill that they don't recognize that they are sitting in the middle of a store and not in a bathroom.  It doesn't make any sense to blame the person because they are very ill, but rather it should go to the people and agencies like UVIC that put this person in that position through the "housing first" nonsense.

What did they think would happen to this individual?  Throw him inside somewhere and high fives all around while singing kumbaya?......except then what?

Calling crackheads "ill" is really SJW language though. I mean, I get that you lose control of your faculties when you become heavily addicted to a litany of hard drugs, but taking a dump in a display room toilet is likely less to do with being "ill", and more to do with just being totally whacked out and living a life based on not giving a damn about anything or anybody.

All to say I'll go with "whacked out asshole" rather than "ill" (and I'm sure the Splashes folks, especially their junior man, would agree with me).

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5236 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:49 AM

I guess this guy, made quite the splash!?

Eh?

Anybody?

Alright, I’ll leave the room and try to fix that server of ours before Lanfo wakes up.
  • Nparker, Matt R., lanforod and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5237 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:55 AM

you don't sleep in the same room as the server?  sounds like you take a lot of risks with our security.

#5238 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:56 AM

Calling crackheads "ill" is really SJW language though. I mean, I get that you lose control of your faculties when you become heavily addicted to a litany of hard drugs, but taking a dump in a display room toilet is likely less to do with being "ill", and more to do with just being totally whacked out and living a life based on not giving a damn about anything or anybody.

All to say I'll go with "whacked out asshole" rather than "ill" (and I'm sure the Splashes folks, especially their junior man, would agree with me).

Well given that the guy likely has a free hotel room just down the street one would wonder how whacked you really need to be.

Now I am sure that the Mayor and some members of council will just view this as social justice with the unfortunate "shitting on" the wealthy property and business owners, one might stop to consider for a moment the impact on the staff. From what I hear the guy exposed himself in front of female staff and guests and was abusive. In today's vernacular that is sexual assault. Now I know that doesn't seem to be an important issue to some of our elected officials as they have been happy to cover it up in the past, but it has an impact on the people who have to live it.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#5239 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:58 AM

Neither do I sleep in the same room as Lanfo!
  • lanforod likes this

Know it all.

#5240 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:00 AM

but it has an impact on the people who have to live it.

but now they have "lived experience" on their resume.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users