Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#6601 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:31 AM

They at least have a vested interest in the CoV. Perhaps business owners should be allowed to vote in the jurisdiction in which they own.

Yeah we've discussed that before but then you have chains, corporations etc.  You'd have to really somehow pare it down to mom and pop shops etc.  Like I've said before business owners do have much more sway than a single resident already, likely more valuable than a vote.  It's and interesting change to the legislation.

• Brayvehart likes this

#6602 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:39 AM

If there is no need to have a vested interest in a municipality to represent its residents, perhaps people should be able to vote in the jurisdiction of their choosing. Why should anyone be bound by the consequences of the decisions they make?

• johnk2 likes this

#6603 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:49 AM

If there is no need to have a vested interest in a municipality to represent its residents, perhaps people should be able to vote in the jurisdiction of their choosing. Why should anyone be bound by the consequences of the decisions they make?

Well I won't answer that one but I'll pose this, if voters in Nelson really like me and want me to be a councillor there (remotely) they should have that opportunity shouldn't they?

• Brayvehart likes this

#6604 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:54 AM

...if voters in Nelson really like me and want me to be a councillor there (remotely) they should have that opportunity shouldn't they?

Sure, why not? Why should voting rules be any different from representational rules? 

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#6605 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:05 AM

Sure, why not? Why should voting rules be any different from representational rules? 

how about CoV voters just smarten up and refuse to elect non-resident councilors?  that's always a voter's choice.  i doubt if loveday lived in nelson many here would vote for him.

• Ismo07 likes this

#6606 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:09 AM

how about CoV voters just smarten up and refuse to elect non-resident councilors?  that's always a voter's choice. 

I doubt most voters ever know where candidates reside. Out-of-jurisdiction candidates don't advertise the fact much.

#6607 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:13 AM

I doubt most voters ever know where candidates reside. Out-of-jurisdiction candidates don't advertise the fact much.

The address is on the candidate registration form which is public. Not hard at all.

That was how folks realized that Stephanie Hardman didn't live on Richardson when she said she did.

Edited by spanky123, 23 October 2020 - 09:14 AM.

#6608 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:17 AM

The address is on the candidate registration form which is public. Not hard at all.

And how many voters see the candidate registration form?

#6609 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:30 AM

How about a business owner in Victoria who lives in Sidney?

Yup, that business owner pays a significantly higher proportion of taxes compared to a resident and has zero say about what goes on in the municipality. I agree, give the business owner a voice and give them a vote with a weighting proportionate to the taxes they pay!!!

• Nparker and On the Level like this

#6610 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:24 AM

The fact that councillors outside of the municipality are elected speaks to how much City operations impact residents of surrounding municipalities whether as business owners or shared services. A City of Victoria resident could very easily operate a business in Saanich, utilize the recreation centre in Oak Bay, and have a rental property in Esquimalt. The users of municipal services do not always have a vote over what impacts them and there are some valid considerations if non-residents with skin in the game should be eligible for election or to vote.

At the end of the day I think this is indicative of a bigger issue (amalgamation) and whether voters should have a municipal government that reflects how many residents use municipal services outside of their municipality of residence.

• Nparker and Brayvehart like this

#6611 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:25 AM

Yeah we've discussed that before but then you have chains, corporations etc.  You'd have to really somehow pare it down to mom and pop shops etc.  Like I've said before business owners do have much more sway than a single resident already, likely more valuable than a vote.  It's and interesting change to the legislation.

99% of business are corporations.

And why do you want to deny a chain the opportunity to engage in civic affairs in which it pays massive property taxes? I think anyone or any corporation, chain or otherwise, who/that operates a business in Victoria and is licensed by the municipality to do so, but does not reside within the municipality, should have the option to vote.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6612 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:56 AM

Yup, that business owner pays a significantly higher proportion of taxes compared to a resident and has zero say about what goes on in the municipality. I agree, give the business owner a voice and give them a vote with a weighting proportionate to the taxes they pay!!!

As I've mentioned, businesses have tons of pull, more than a single vote by a resident.

99% of business are corporations.

And why do you want to deny a chain the opportunity to engage in civic affairs in which it pays massive property taxes? I think anyone or any corporation, chain or otherwise, who/that operates a business in Victoria and is licensed by the municipality to do so, but does not reside within the municipality, should have the option to vote.

I don't believe that most of those corporations would have the community at heart.  They have enough pull without a vote.  If you took away their ability of the aforementioned pull then sure.  We've gone over this, what about a business owner who lives in Victoria, would she get 2 votes as a resident and business owner?  Does every owner get a vote?  What if you have 3 7-11s or 5 subways, do they each get a vote?  What if you own two separate businesses?  How about your a plumber with an inter-municipal permit to work in each municipality, do you vote everywhere?  There are many other things to iron out, can't just say let the businesses vote and draw a line.

• Brayvehart likes this

#6613 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:04 AM

All things that can be easily worked out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6614 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:22 AM

All things that can be easily worked out.

if it was easy it would get done.  This is a provincial matter and I'm not sure how many residents want McDonalds voting on their Mayor and Council so...  Not easy in the slightest.

#6615 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:27 AM

...I'm not sure how many residents want McDonalds voting on their Mayor and Council so...

No worse than the cheese heads, hamburglars and grimaces that elected the current council.

#6616 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:31 AM

Initiating a governance review was one of my election promises in 2018. I have collated many of the governance issues that have arisen over the past 6 years and I'm proposing a process to address these issues in time for the municipal election in 2022. 

I agree with many of the points you have on your list Jeremy, but my concern is the authority of the review and who will be making recommendations.  What are the findings being based from?

There already is the Local Government Legislative Framework in place so this could be used to confirm that local governance is, or is not, fulfilling it's legal requirements.  It could also be used to judge if council is providing services as intended by the act.

To balance the broad powers provided to local governments, the Community Charter contains accountability and public participation provisions, such as:

Elector approval processes
Annual municipal reporting
Ethical conduct rules for elected officials

the Local Government Act also apply to municipalities for matters not covered by the Community Charter (for example, municipal tax sales).

The Local Government Act also covers important authorities for both municipalities and regional districts, such as planning and land use powers and statutory requirements for administering elections.

Does the CoV understand where it might not be following the act?  Are there areas where council is skirting the rules?  For example, the significant number of in-camera meetings?  

I would not be comfortable with a review unless it is being conducted by a 3rd party not related to business undertaken by council.

#6617 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:32 AM

...I would not be comfortable with a review unless it is being conducted by a 3rd party not related to business undertaken by council.

This.

• rmpeers likes this

#6618 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:54 AM

^

the cuff report

https://www.georgecuff.com/

did the last review in Victoria and has done many others - i know a fella who saw him do one back east 

• On the Level likes this

#6619 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:09 PM

if it was easy it would get done. This is a provincial matter and I'm not sure how many residents want McDonalds voting on their Mayor and Council so... Not easy in the slightest.

It’s political.

As for McDonald’s, the local guy who bought and operates the franchise just might want to. Why does he get less of a voice in your world than the guy running Big Wheel? The only difference between their operations are suppliers and guidelines.

But like I said above, a corporation operating a business locally but which is not based within the CRD would be exempt, unless it’s franchised. So Eddie Bauer downtown wouldn’t get a vote, but the local guy licensed to operate the View and Douglas McDonald’s would.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.

#6620 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:13 PM

It could lead to a dangerous precedent. Essentially saying business interests' are equal to those of a city's residents. If the local guy lives in Langford, but operates the McDonalds downtown, he's likely only voting with his business hat on. The mayor and council represent their residents, not their businesses. That is what the DVBA and others are for. Also, like Ismo said, maybe he owns five franchises. Does he get five votes?

• Brayvehart likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users