City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#6621 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

^that is fundamentally wrong. City Hall oversees the management of a city. Politicians approve budgets and decide on land use. Where problems arise is when politicians take it upon themselves to put interests of one group before the other.

In fact, a city does not even need residents within its borders, but it does need enterprise if it hopes to be an economic success (tiny enclaves notwithstanding which draw on services provided by other municipalities).

And furthermore, who do you think is more invested in Victoria? The UVic student from Saskatoon who will be here for four years in a rental apartment they may or may not keep as a permanent home over that four years, or the business owner from Langford who just invested $100k into a downtown business and signed a ten year lease?
  • Nparker, rjag, Midnightly and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6622 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:32 PM

...The mayor and council represent their residents...

In the case of the CoV, that's highly debatable.

...The mayor and council represent their residents, not their businesses...

I'd like to know why a mayor and council shouldn't be supporting the businesses that pay taxes into local coffers.

• Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#6623 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:38 PM

Right, but politicians are voted in by their constituents, based on their platform compared to other candidates, and then give direction to city staff. So the citizens are voting for whom they think would run the city (via city staff) that best suits their interests.

And sure, you could argue in that case that some might view the restaurateur has a greater vested interest. All I'm saying is opening this door could create a precedent where business interests start to outweigh the interests of a city's residents. And I don't think that is particularly a good thing. 

• Brayvehart likes this

#6624 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:44 PM

In the case of the CoV, that's highly debatable.

I'd like to know why a mayor and council shouldn't be supporting the businesses that pay taxes into local coffers.

Well, more people voted for the current mayor and council than any other candidate, so not sure what to say there...

And this one is more debatable. But I would say that they are paying taxes for the opportunity to operate a business within the city, and to help cover the costs they incur upon the city. They aren't paying taxes to be able to vote in elections.

#6625 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:58 PM

...They aren't paying taxes to be able to vote in elections.

Because currently that is not allowed. 

#6626 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:59 PM

Right, but politicians are voted in by their constituents, based on their platform compared to other candidates, and then give direction to city staff. So the citizens are voting for whom they think would run the city (via city staff) that best suits their interests.

And sure, you could argue in that case that some might view the restaurateur has a greater vested interest. All I'm saying is opening this door could create a precedent where business interests start to outweigh the interests of a city's residents. And I don't think that is particularly a good thing.

That’s also not quite true. The City already allows landowners/property owners who do not reside in the City-proper to vote for them, provided they have the property in their own name and are not already voting as a resident.

But to your point, municipal politicians are voted in mostly by constituents because mostly constituents can vote for them. Business owners currently don’t have the ability to cast a vote.

I also don’t see the business vote as overwhelming the resident vote. How many businesses operate out of Victoria? And how many eligible voters are there?
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6627 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:00 PM

...more people voted for the current mayor...

More people also chose to cast their vote for candidates other than Lisa Helps. She did NOT get 50% of the vote.

• Nostalgic Victoria, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#6628 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:04 PM

And this one is more debatable. But I would say that they are paying taxes for the opportunity to operate a business within the city, and to help cover the costs they incur upon the city. They aren't paying taxes to be able to vote in elections.

So a resident who just moved here from Nova Scotia, and is renting an apartment in Vic West, who might move to Saanich in six months because his buddy’s roommate there is planning to buy a house in Langford, has more political clout in the City of Victoria than a business owner who lives in Esquimalt next to Councillor Dubow or Loveday and has operated a business downtown for seven years?
  • Nostalgic Victoria, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#6629 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:13 PM

Lol you can cherrypick examples all day where sure, it might make sense in that instance. I just think it is a dangerous road to go down. Ten years from now, what is there to stop someone from opening a large number of shell corps incorporated within a city just so they can exert more influence on an election? Does 745986521 BC Ltd. get a vote too? And 965874569 BC Ltd.? 

Are there any municipalities in Canada that allow this? 

• Rob Randall and Brayvehart like this

#6630 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:38 PM

I also don’t see the business vote as overwhelming the resident vote. How many businesses operate out of Victoria? And how many eligible voters are there?

66,243 registered voters in the last election, 9,085 business licenses issued in 2019
  • Mike K. and Brayvehart like this

#6631 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:41 PM

Lol you can cherrypick examples all day where sure, it might make sense in that instance. I just think it is a dangerous road to go down. Ten years from now, what is there to stop someone from opening a large number of shell corps incorporated within a city just so they can exert more influence on an election? Does 745986521 BC Ltd. get a vote too? And 965874569 BC Ltd.?

Are there any municipalities in Canada that allow this?

This was allowed in BC until as recently as 1993, apparently! https://www2.gov.bc....ssion_paper.pdf
  • Awaiting Juno and Brayvehart like this

#6632 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:09 PM

Indeed, it was. It was the NDP who ended it.

Know it all.

#6633 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:13 PM

Indeed, it was. It was the NDP who ended it.

Surprise, surprise.

• Nostalgic Victoria, A Girl is No one and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#6634 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:18 PM

66,243 registered voters in the last election, 9,085 business licenses issued in 2019

Thank you. And many of those operated by international chains that wouldn’t get a vote, or multiple licenses attributed to one person who would only get one vote, and others still that live in the CoV and already have a vote.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.

#6635 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:27 PM

So a resident who just moved here from Nova Scotia, and is renting an apartment in Vic West, who might move to Saanich in six months because his buddy’s roommate there is planning to buy a house in Langford, has more political clout in the City of Victoria than a business owner who lives in Esquimalt next to Councillor Dubow or Loveday and has operated a business downtown for seven years?

Mike the business owner has way more clout than a single vote.. Believe that...  That business owner has more clout than I do, much more voice than I do.   Can't even measure it.  that business owner will get 50 times more voice than I would.

• Brayvehart likes this

#6636 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:39 PM

Mayor Helps told businesses facing crime to hire security.

And it’s not clout when Dodd’s Furniture has to turn to the media to have their concerns resonate.
  • Nostalgic Victoria, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

Know it all.

#6637 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:55 PM

Mike the business owner has way more clout than a single vote.. Believe that... That business owner has more clout than I do, much more voice than I do. Can't even measure it. that business owner will get 50 times more voice than I would.

I owned a mid sized business for 25 years and had zero influence with councils. I was on the Board of the Chamber and had zero influence with councils. What exactly do you think these businesses had to influence councils?
  • Awaiting Juno and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#6638 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:58 PM

^

the cuff report

https://www.georgecuff.com/

did the last review in Victoria and has done many others - i know a fella who saw him do one back east 

Interesting.  We need another one as we seem to be operating in an opposite direction of what was found in the report.  So in 2009 the CoV was called out for not engaging the public and not living up to IAP2 principles...

In 2009, City Council identified engaging with residents as one of its top priorities, following the endorsement of George Cuff’s Governance Review and the adoption of the International Association for Public Participation (IAP2) principles for engagement.

https://www.victoria...c_Engagment.pdf  (I've taken a copy in case it goes "missing" from the website)

IAP2 has developed the "IAP2 Core Values for Public Participation" for use in the development and implementation of public participation processes. These core values were developed over a two year period with broad international input to identify those aspects of public participation which cross national, cultural, and religious boundaries. The purpose of these core values is to help make better decisions which reflect the interests and concerns of potentially affected people and entities.

Core Values for the Practice of Public Participation

1. Public participation is based on the belief that those who are affected by a decision have a right to be involved in the decision-making process.
  2. Public participation includes the promise that the public's contribution will influence the decision.
  3. Public participation promotes sustainable decisions by recognizing and communicating the needs and interests of all participants, including decision makers.
  4. Public participation seeks out and facilitates the involvement of those potentially affected by or interested in a decision.

5. Public participation seeks input from participants in designing how they participate.

6. Public participation provides participants with the information they need to participate in a meaningful way.

7. Public participation communicates to participants how their input affected the decision.

Seems that Helps and crew are taking Victoria in an opposite direction.

Cuff completed a report for Nanaimo in 2019 where we can see some parallels with Victoria.....

“The turnover, in my view, was absolutely significant and it was highly unusual based on the work that I’ve done in other places…” he said. “When you have 107 people turn over in the last five years that is remarkable in itself and it should be of considerable concern to council and to the citizens.”

So Victoria has 828 staff so if there really was a 22% turnover in 1 year, that would be 165 staff.  

https://www.nanaimob...aimo-city-hall/

#6639 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 26 October 2020 - 03:26 PM

Perhaps a hyper-local news outlet such as this one they have in Nanaimo would better inform.

https://nanaimobeaco...szUHZ27NA0IYXEw

#6640 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 03:46 PM

Perhaps a hyper-local news outlet such as this one they have in Nanaimo would better inform.

https://nanaimobeaco...szUHZ27NA0IYXEw

comment-di.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users